Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I have a Buell XB12R and have done track days on it. Loads of fun for cornering but the gearbox is good for a black and blue toe by the end of day, and the fancy brakes on my 2004 get hot and fade before I can get through lap one. Yet I love riding this cranky, clunky, bike around the track. FUN!
Yeah, the XB makes a good track bike. Upgrading your brakes with the 8-piston caliper will make you happy.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
Original Article:
MO Goes AMA Roadracing: Part 1

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article MO Goes AMA Roadracing: Part 1 in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Great read Kdog! Isnt it funny how things tend to unravel when your racing. When your in that moment you think its the worse possible out come, when in retrospec your memories are unreplacable.

Funny thing about your story is once in Hawaii I ran a 2hr endurance race and as the owner of the bike came into the pits to make the rider change- yours truly. He failed to tell me that the bike had a reverse shift pattern, which I had never raced with before EVER? So once I start to take off, the bike boggs out. After repeated down shifts at a stop, I hear in the backround" Its reverse!" Long story short I must have shifted wrong about 10-15 times during the race. Nothing like coming threw the dog leg at 120 and then downshifting when I was supposed to be upshifting- scary stuff. 1993 GSXR1100 The tranny held together.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Wow, you did an endurance race on a bike you had never ridden?! At least I had a couple of practice sessions...
Old 08-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

It was a last moment kind of thing. But at least I didnt have to learn a whole new track. Road America is a braking track I believe, now thats alot on your plate even with practice. Cant wait to see you do good at the next venue. Iam sure that you'll do great!

I can totally relate to the 50cc experience, I love racing the crf50. We install scooter tires and frequently loose the front and like you said we just pivot off are foot and pick it up and keep going. Good luck! Time for a new lid perhaps? The readers should start a pool for you and a new helmet.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 08-28-2009 at 01:49 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #15
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Thanks for your vote of confidence, but I have no illusions about making a career out of it!

New lid? Yeah, it's probably about time! Seems like Arai isn't yet sure the internet isn't some sort of fad. Love the Shoei X-11s!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

How'd the bike feel at speed through a light corner? It's amazing how well a Buell handles, since when you look at it, the crankshaft center line is about a foot off the ground, and the forks are tucked in like a short track bike. That, with a 50 inch wheelbase you'd think it would be head-shaking handfull, but no. My City-X was on-rails at speed through LA's nasty pavement and pothole infested torture roads. Best handling street bike I ever owned. The faster you went, the more stable it became.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Thanks for your vote of confidence, but I have no illusions about making a career out of it!

New lid? Yeah, it's probably about time! Seems like Arai isn't yet sure the internet isn't some sort of fad. Love the Shoei X-11s!
No career, just really good experience thats all. And besides my little rinky-dink track on a new bike isnt shyt compaired racing in the AMA. Some of the people that race AMA and the tactics they use are not good. Did the guy brush you when he zipped by?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #18
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Sigh, another fallen icon, another idol with feet of clay. Here I was, thinking our Fearless Editor was a grizzled yet sprightly semi-retired roadracer. Only to find his racing career to date consists of buzzing around go-kart tracks on a weed-wacker motored minibike.

But seriously, a really fun story, and major kudos to you for getting out there and making it happen. Especially now, at the dawn of your Geritol Years. I can relate to the shifter problem; my first ride on a Harley was my bro in-law's beloved chopped Sportster. The shifter was on the right and the brake on the left for some damn reason; I made that hardtail jump about 3 feet in the air several times as I jammed it down a gear without the clutch. He was ready to skin me alive by the time I got it back in the barn.

Looking forward to Part Deux!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #19
stk10759
Registered Member

Default I feel bad for big chief

Great read, I guess the new motor wouldn't bolt in due to the oil line changes between the 07-08 motors? Well I'll put my prayers in that Ole Dusty doesn't for you in part two.
stk10759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #20
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Sigh, another fallen icon, another idol with feet of clay. Here I was, thinking our Fearless Editor was a grizzled yet sprightly semi-retired roadracer. Only to find his racing career to date consists of buzzing around go-kart tracks on a weed-wacker motored minibike.

But seriously, a really fun story, and major kudos to you for getting out there and making it happen. Especially now, at the dawn of your Geritol Years. I can relate to the shifter problem; my first ride on a Harley was my bro in-law's beloved chopped Sportster. The shifter was on the right and the brake on the left for some damn reason; I made that hardtail jump about 3 feet in the air several times as I jammed it down a gear without the clutch. He was ready to skin me alive by the time I got it back in the barn.

Looking forward to Part Deux!

You should check into the ages of some of the best riders around the world, who are currently employed you might be surprised. Specially at the Isle. How old are you Kevin? Just for the story I love to have you misshift my six hundred and finish the race Any time you want to mossy on down to FL and take a stab let me know, but just for the story.
Heck maybe we can get Seruzawa and Longride to come out and take a ride on the six just to say they did Daytona. I think they even have a school in March?