Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 QLINK XF200 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/12909-2009-qlink-xf200-review.html)

Administrator 08-20-2009 12:07 PM

2009 QLINK XF200 Review

Original Article:
2009 QLINK XF200 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 QLINK XF200 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

SmokeU 08-20-2009 12:41 PM

If I lived a few miles out of town on a dirt road something like this would be great.

Though I'd rather have a used Honda XR250L or similar.

Kenneth_Moore 08-20-2009 03:27 PM

QLINK unabashedly refers to “Suzuki technology” in the 4-stroke air-cooled engine and a “Japan Mikuni carburetor.”

It got Sony guts! They all got Sony guts!

MOKE1K 08-21-2009 06:38 AM

"QLINK",... is the sound it makes when it breaks.

culcune 08-21-2009 01:58 PM

Qlink is not a subsidiary of Jinan Qingqi, but rather is a brand that re-names others' bikes, primarily Chinese bikes, as is the case with Qingqi. However, they have purposely found high quality bikes to carry and put their name on, and they do back up the quality claim with warranties to match.

Jinan Qingqi is the OEM for Suzuki's sub-250cc bikes according to mychinamoto.com owner/moderator 'Crazy' Carl Parker. He lived in China for a few years teaching English, and got into the Chinese bike scene, and had a semi-consultant relationship with Jinan Qingqi; in fact they gave him one of their enduros to long-term evaluate for a few months before he moved back.

So the connection to Suzuki is like that of a first cousin--Suzuki does not want the world to know its smaller bikes are manufactured in China, and Qingqi does not publicly announce this either (probably due to agreements), but the Qlink bike is a close relative to Suzuki.

Qingqi sells this bike around the world rebadged under different names; I assume it is what the local distributor wants it to be called. From what I remember Crazy Carl mentioning, Qlink does not have an exclusive distributorship with Qingqi, so theoretically, they could appear in the US under different brands, including Qingqi's own name. I forgot the name of the Canadian brand, but they are available there (maybe STX?) I think 'Sundowner' in Brazil.

There have been happy owners of these bikes on chinariders.net as well as supermotojunkies.com and even thumpertalk.com They "aren't your grandfather's" China bike as they are really Japanese bikes OEM'ed in China.

This bike, as well as the enduro version that Qlink sells, would make a very compelling case versus a Suzuki DR200--both look better IMO and have the definite price and warranty advantage like the comparison to the Honda CRF230.

Another up and coming bike is Pitster Pro's full-size XTR 250 motard and enduro--far better than the Qingqi/Qlink and are OEM'ed for Puzey of S. Africa/Australia and distributed in the US and Canada and some other countries via Pitster Pro, as well as CCM of Great Britain. These bikes are made to Puzey specs at an OEM factory, and are not re-badged from anyone else.

There are some other compelling Chinese derived bikes and compared to the "junk" of a few years ago (many mechanically inclined owners had very good experiences with their bikes) these bikes are not a matter of if and when, but are already here and now.

Whether you like the Chinese bikes or not, now that they are competitive, they should help bring prices down of all our favorite brands--kind of like what Hyundai has done to keep the once ever-price increasing Japanese car companies in check.

Kenneth_Moore 08-21-2009 02:23 PM

"Qlink is not a subsidiary of Jinan Qingqi, but rather is a brand that re-names others' bikes, primarily Chinese bikes, as is the case with Qingqi. However, they have purposely found high quality bikes to carry and put their name on, and they do back up the quality claim with warranties to match.

Jinan Qingqi is the OEM for Suzuki's sub-250cc bikes according to mychinamoto.com owner/moderator 'Crazy' Carl Parker. He lived in China for a few years teaching English, and got into the Chinese bike scene, and had a semi-consultant relationship with Jinan Qingqi; in fact they gave him one of their enduros to long-term evaluate for a few months before he moved back.

So the connection to Suzuki is like that of a first cousin--Suzuki does not want the world to know its smaller bikes are manufactured in China, and Qingqi does not publicly announce this either (probably due to agreements), but the Qlink bike is a close relative to Suzuki.

Qingqi sells this bike around the world rebadged under different names; I assume it is what the local distributor wants it to be called. From what I remember Crazy Carl mentioning, Qlink does not have an exclusive distributorship with Qingqi, so theoretically, they could appear in the US under different brands, including Qingqi's own name."

It got Sony guts.

newagetwotone 08-21-2009 03:56 PM

Leave it to Moke to bad mouth something he's never touched *eye roll*

Pete_Brissette 08-21-2009 09:56 PM

Thanks?

"Interesting" post there, culcune. And thanks for joining Motorcycle.com from what must've been a great compulsion driven by the Qlink XF200 review.

Too bad we learned more about Qlink from a reader rather than Qlink themselves, so reluctant to give us the straight poop... :(

MOKE1K 08-22-2009 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 222287)
Leave it to Moke to bad mouth something he's never touched *eye roll*

Relax newagetone, it's a joke. I think I'v seen enough chinese products to know what the quality control is like. Besides it being my business.

newagetwotone 08-22-2009 09:17 AM

15 years ago no one bought Korean cars.... now look at Hyundai