Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

I've been checking out owner feedback on Chinese powersports products for years now. At first all were total crap with Lifan ATVs breaking axles and such. Now some of the Chinese scooters seem to be greatly improved. While not up to Japanese standards some of them are good buys now considering the lower price. I don't know much about Qlink except that the scooter shop where my daughter bought her Stella Genuine has them on the floor but the salesman there tried to steer people away from them due to quality issues last year.

The internet isn't such a good source of info any more because companies hire people to spam the net with phony positive data on many products so one needs to use caution. However there are a few guys at work with newer Chinese scooters and so far these seem to be holding up.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I've been checking out owner feedback on Chinese powersports products for years now. At first all were total crap with Lifan ATVs breaking axles and such. Now some of the Chinese scooters seem to be greatly improved. While not up to Japanese standards some of them are good buys now considering the lower price. I don't know much about Qlink except that the scooter shop where my daughter bought her Stella Genuine has them on the floor but the salesman there tried to steer people away from them due to quality issues last year.

The internet isn't such a good source of info any more because companies hire people to spam the net with phony positive data on many products so one needs to use caution. However there are a few guys at work with newer Chinese scooters and so far these seem to be holding up.
The QLink is awesome! You should all go buy one! Best scooter ever!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post

From the media side of things, I have a difficult time understanding why the manufacturers/distributors of Chinese product have such dismal marketing efforts. Speaking generally, they often choose odd names for their company and bikes, and more to my perspective, they don't understand how to develop relations with the press, specifically the American distributors. Speaking broadly, their marketing depts are bereft of people who have a deep understanding of our market and the way things are done with the media.

It's a safe bet that at least one Chinese company is going to be a huge player in our part of the world, and it'll be the one with the best quality and the best marketing. My consulting services are on offer...

So where exactly is the Chinese motorcycle machine these days? I'll be able to tell you much more after returning from the CIMA Motor Show in Chongqing, Sept 17-20. I hope to bring some major illumination to the subject.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
culcune
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Brissette View Post
"Interesting" post there, culcune. And thanks for joining Motorcycle.com from what must've been a great compulsion driven by the Qlink XF200 review.

Too bad we learned more about Qlink from a reader rather than Qlink themselves, so reluctant to give us the straight poop...
I have followed the Chinese bike market via chinariders.net (someone gleefully posted the link to this article from chinariders), but the source of my Qingqi knowledge comes from the man who founded mychinamoto.com, Carl Parker, aka 'Crazy Carl' He is very easy to get hold of via mychinamoto, and has a very indepth thread about riding his Qingqi's around China (the one he bought, and then the one Qingqi provided him to ride around) when he lived there up to about a year ago.

I could see Qlink's reluctance to give you information, as they are trying to solidify their reputation as a full-service brand while trying to distance themselves from the Chinese reputation, but Qlink is known as a higher-end source for quality bikes as compared to other Chinese branded bikes. Like I stated before, they do pick up other brand's lines and rebadge them, but they choose wisely, and have parts (a mega-sore spot of the Chinese bike owners in the US) and brick and mortar dealers vs. mail order, although you can mail-order bikes directly from them.

Here is the thread about the Qingqi factory from Carl:
QingQi Motorcycles Factory Tour - MyChinaMoto

Here is a thread about Carl's ride on the bike that Qingqi loaned him to evaluate--this is the same bike that Qlink carries known as the XP200, the enduro version of the XF200:
200GY Shakedown Ride - Sichuan,China - I - MyChinaMoto
culcune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
lari
Registered Member

i really have a lot to said:first,kenneth is right. i live in argentina and some years ago some distributors start to trade motorcycles from china,making really good brands(like gilera), in to ****.
they renamed the bikes and now when you see a gilera you start to cry about the quality.
i hope that you have really good quality controls before let anybody sell one of those brands . i agree that "you get what you pay for" but that´s not the question...
when i said that kenneth is right i mean that is exactly the same with yamaha. see is belive
Jianshe
they made for example the yamaha ybr 125
every product that arrives here below 250cc is made in china or assembly here(goverment trading condition)..$%&/·$%!!!! i´´m starting to miss brazilian made bikes
now i must said that i sell chinesse bikes here, and is like you have to made it again... check and recheck bolts,weldings,wiring,spokes,etc
also quingqi and jianshe are O.E.M for suzuki and yamaha and are a lot better than others...but there´´s a lot of minor detalis for me
lari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
culcune
Registered Member

lari, isn't this bike the same as the Brazilian brand's Sundown STX motard and enduro?

Sundown Motos

I have seen a few videos on youtube of the motard in action--what kind of reputation do these bikes have in Brazil?
culcune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #17
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Great for Hyndai, but were talking bikes here? Say for example you get the chance to choose between a free Suzuki SV650 and a Hyosung youve just won, your telling me your going to pick the Hyosung? Hey remember cars have roll cadges-bikes dont newagetone, hardly comparible when your talking about quality control.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #18
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

Question

culcune,

Yer suspiciously well-written /informed for the average Interweb forum user. But nice to have you aboard, anyhow.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #19
newagetwotone
Registered Member

A usual moke you skirt around what was actually said.

Forget it.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #20
MOKE1K
Registered Member

How did I go around anything you just said, are you sure your not trying to avoid my direct statements? Just sayin? Quality Control? Bikes dont have roll cages? Differences between Suzukis, that Suzuki produces and Qlink "suzuki"produces? Does the name Artic cat ring a bell?