Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #41
cloud9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Personally, I'll take a Street Triple and Monster 1100 in my garage, and I'll sacrifice to do a long-term shootout!
So a Street triple over a Speed triple eh? Guess it's all about the balance of power & control. But then again you choose the monster 1100 over the 696. That confuses me a bit. I enjoyed the article, thanks for including the runner ups as well.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #42
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
So a Street triple over a Speed triple eh? Guess it's all about the balance of power & control. But then again you choose the monster 1100 over the 696. That confuses me a bit. I enjoyed the article, thanks for including the runner ups as well.
The Street Trip is much easier to fling around than the Speed Trip, and this plus a track-worthy chassis gives it a major advantage on a twisty road. I doubt you'll hear anyone who has ridden both, hopefully back to back, say the Speed is more fun to ride than the eminently chuckable Street. And the power-to-weight ratios are fairly close when you consider the 675 is 50 lbs lighter. Cheaper, too!

Yes, it's the Street Triple's excellent balance that wins converts, and this is also true of the Monster 1100. The 696 is quite peppy, but if you've ever ridden the M1100, you'll think the 696 is underpowered in comparison. The 1100cc version of Ducati's V-Twin is such a wonderful street motor, with more hp and torque, and it weighs just 18 lbs more than the 696. Beautiful balance again!

Hope that helps explain our choices. Glad you enjoyed it!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #43
anrajala
Founding Member

So Japaneses, Italians, Germans and limeys got all a bunch of Bike of the Year awards. US zippo. Where the hell are the Americans? You are by far the biggest in market size, economy and industrial output. Your population equals that of these four countries combined. There is something wrong somewhere. What is it?

- cruiz-euro

Last edited by seruzawa : 08-25-2009 at 01:13 PM.
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #44
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"There is something wrong somewhere. What is it?"

Nobody really seems to care but you? I'd say that's pretty close.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #45
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
So Japanese, Italians, Germans and limeys got all a bunch of Bike of the Year awards. US zippo. Where the hell are the Americans? You are by far the biggest in market size, economy and industrial output. Your population equals that of these four countries combined. There is something wrong somewhere. What is it?

- cruiz-euro
Probably that if you ever use those racial slurs again the administrator will bust you for good.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #46
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Probably that if you ever use those racial slurs again the administrator will bust you for good.
Peepee-whackin' time!

Hey - I should know it when I see it; bein' the Bigoted, Racist, Misogynistic, Homophobic, Separatist, White-Supremacist Grand-High-Dragon of the local KKK Chapter that I am..........

(/sarcasm)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #47
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
So Japaneses, Italians, Germans and limeys got all a bunch of Bike of the Year awards. US zippo. Where the hell are the Americans? You are by far the biggest in market size, economy and industrial output. Your population equals that of these four countries combined. There is something wrong somewhere. What is it?

- cruiz-euro
Hey, we still have everyone beat in high-tech military aircraft no one can afford!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #48
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Hey, we still have everyone beat in high-tech military aircraft no one can afford!
And Gas Guzzlers! Nobody can make a Gas Guzzler like Detroit!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #49
mugwump58
Registered Member

Quote:
There's a lot to be said for air superiority.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #50
euro_biker
Registered Member

First things first:

I would like to congratulate the authors for coming up with this list, because this is by far the best motorcycle related article I read all year on various motorcycle websites.

In the end, most motorcycles are decent bikes, and stand alone reviews only tell you that much. A 2009 'best of' compilation, now that's interesting. I suppose that all the reviewers and editorial writers had a sitdown to discuss the bikes and come up with the list. And that's what I want to see: what bikes are considered to be best of the best by a majority of professional reviewers.

Also kudos for including the worthy runner ups, which makes the list complete...

About the content, I agree with all of them (except sportbikes, because I don't know anything about them)

It is obvious that Euros are making bikes that stand out of the crowd, with very decent quality and performance for the intended purpose. For all the types of bikes that matter, a Euro gets the top spot. Triumph best overall, best cruiser and ducati best naked. I couldn't have chosen a better list.

Triumph is one of the best motorcycle companies of this decade, full stop. A BROAD range of bikes (all-road to sportbike, naked, roadster and cruiser!!!) and ALL OF THEM are top notch 1st tier bikes. The Thunderbird deserves the top spot by a mile. Superb engine, plenty of power, character, stand out configuration (not V twin), watercooled and a great chassis/brakes for a cruiser or any bike for that matter.

Street triple, what else needs to be said about that bike... And ducati, can you name a 'rawer', more 'to the point', trimmed down and focussed 'standard'? Air cooled, great V-twin, great chassis...

In terms of exotica, I would have added the B-king. Exotic, not because of the price, but for the value and the totally insane idea of putting a hayabusa engine in a standard bike with modern out of the box styling. And in the process succeeding in making that beast a very suitable daily driver!

As for BMW, there's another company that does almost everything great. And the price is pretty decent too. That aircooled boxer tourer is to die for, and more than enough bike for anyone serious about touring. That thing is almost perfect. Good protection, good weight, good fairing, more than enough power, subtle ride, no noise, ... Why, and I mean WHY would anyone want to tour on a Harley tourer, ffs!! In comparison those are overpriced motorised bar stools for slow paced mile eating...

BMW All-roads, again, what more can be said about the GS bikes... Per-fect!

Class, individuality, great tech, sexyness without sacrificing price, usability and quality. You see where I'm going with this: Harley Davidson, what's the point... (I used to love them, but a couple of years ago that went away. Only decent harley is the V-rod, but that's personal, so don't start ranting)

Anyway, Kudos for compiling this list!!!

On a general note: I often visit the forums to read, but SERIOUSLY... Grow a pair and GROW UP! Some of you obviously have nothing better to do. The first five posts in a review related thread concern the bike, all the other pages are nonsense and ridiculousness. I want to read first hand experience and other opinions, not total ranting bull****. So if you've got nothing to say, then don't...

Last edited by euro_biker : 08-28-2009 at 11:18 AM.
euro_biker is offline   Reply With Quote