Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #31
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Answers are forthcoming. We're waiting for the Hyosung to join the Ninja in our garage. And a TU is coming to MO ASAP.

Awesome!

(is too short)
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #32
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayser View Post
It is excitement in learning that is important. All the other magazines loved it and retro is making a comeback. Now if the Kawi was naked and more like an ER6 or a versys I would find it more justified. Crotch rockets are not preferred by everyone.
Crotch rockets may not be preferred by everyone, but the majority does. The Ninja sells like hotcakes, largely because it looks like a bigger, more expensive bike, and it has a full fairing which has broad appeal in our market.

We'll have to wait to see how the TU sells, but I'd put money on the Ninja killing it in sheer numbers. Americans are oddly afraid of naked bikes - witness the addition of fairings on old bikes in the past few years, like the GS500, SV650SF, FZ6R and the redesign of the Ninja 250.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #33
hayser
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Crotch rockets may not be preferred by everyone, but the majority does. The Ninja sells like hotcakes, largely because it looks like a bigger, more expensive bike, and it has a full fairing which has broad appeal in our market.

We'll have to wait to see how the TU sells, but I'd put money on the Ninja killing it in sheer numbers. Americans are oddly afraid of naked bikes - witness the addition of fairings on old bikes in the past few years, like the GS500, SV650SF, FZ6R and the redesign of the Ninja 250.
The GS500 , Bandit , and FZ6 are naked bikes with a fairing added. Not true crotch rockets. The SV650SF changed its ergonomics with the addition of the fairing and it is actually more uncomfortable for taller riders. Do the comparison and see what is most comfortable and safest to learn on. I am curious what the outcome is. Just do not make this a horse race because this is not important at that stage. How popular is the Ninja at MSF courses? I believe Honda is the favorite there with the Rebel and Nighthawk 250's. You should question the instructors who teach people to ride what they think.
hayser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
The GS500 , Bandit , and FZ6 are naked bikes with a fairing added. Not true crotch rockets. The SV650SF changed its ergonomics with the addition of the fairing and it is actually more uncomfortable for taller riders. Do the comparison and see what is most comfortable and safest to learn on. I am curious what the outcome is. Just do not make this a horse race because this is not important at that stage. How popular is the Ninja at MSF courses? I believe Honda is the favorite there with the Rebel and Nighthawk 250's. You should question the instructors who teach people to ride what they think.
Ummmm. This is the Motorcycle Online list of bikes not "List of Bikes Preferred by Motorcycle Instructors."
Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #35
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Ummmm. This is the Motorcycle Online list of bikes not "List of Bikes Preferred by Motorcycle Instructors."
Ten Best non-threatening motorcycles.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #36
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:

Good luck trying to motivate that Nighthawk 250 down the highway. The Ninja is a very docile yet liveable bike that one won't outgrow nearly as fast as a Rebel/Nightchicken 250. There's a reason they are used as MSF bikes. They're freaking gutless wonders.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #37
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
You're trying to bundle two tests into one. It's tough enough getting a new rider on a Ninja 250 instead of a 600cc sportbike, never mind on a Rebel. Like the Buell Blast, the Nighthawk is defunct except only as a rider-training mount. Honda doesn't even sell the Nighthawk anymore, and you know they would if there was demand for it. Meanwhile the Ninja is one of the top-3-selling sportbikes on the market, despite it not being the easiest bike to learn on.

As for ergos of the bikes you mention, the Ninja's is similar to the GS and FZ6R, so by your definition, it's not "a true crotch rocket" either.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #38
newagetwotone
Registered Member

And how many people buy lil' ninjas because their fun and NOT because their a first bike?

And Duke, i havnt sat on one but arnt the ergos of the Ninja 250 more like a standard bike?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #39
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
And Duke, i havnt sat on one but arnt the ergos of the Ninja 250 more like a standard bike?
Yeah, that's what I tried to relay in my previous post. The lil' Ninja's handlebars are well above the triple clamp. A low seat height is good for short ppl, but it will cramp the legs of tall riders.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #40
newagetwotone
Registered Member

I'm 6'1 but only have a 32 inch inseam... sometimes i feel like im a huge midget.....

And while that statement made 0 sense im not going to delete it because well, im just like that.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote