Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default DIRT BIKES on Motorcycle.com

Ok, here's the deal. I've been told in not so subtle terms that dirt bike coverage here on the electronic pages of MO won't get much attention, if any.

That's sad, because in this decade, dirt motorcycles are reaching new levels of excellence that can only be described as a revolution in design process, and manufacture. Bikes that we could only dream about five short years ago are here now, for sale. Available to the general public!
<O

Any rider with the right amount of money can walk into a dealership, and purchase a dirt bike that five years ago was a works-only proposition.
<O

So what I'm asking from my fellow MOrons, is to give some feedback on if you want to see extended tests on new dirt bikes on Motorcycle.com. We're not talking about a few hours of press intro stuff, but real honest-to-God race testing and reporting on the new breed of dirt bike.

Where we take a new Husky for instance, and live with it for a month or so, race it in its intended venue, and report our findings, good or bad, to you the faithful reader.

It's all up to you. <O

Last edited by mscuddy : 08-08-2009 at 01:11 PM.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

Kevin,
With all you guys so strung out riding "street bikes" is it that why you don't have time? I know that we street guys are a different part of the family tree than the dirt guys, but I still read the articles in Cycle World. My fat ass may not ride in the dirt, but I love that side of the sport. The more I know the more I pass on my nephews.
You want a real job to mull over: Take the dirt thing serious but once quarterly devote a few things to the kids. Take up where MotoKids left off. My little girl loved that magazine. Nephews, too. You can get kids that race to test the bikes and then help them write the articles. You have to live somewhere near a motocross track, right. Like a mentor program for riders to become future writers. Think of it as giving back, but gaining material for the site. Gotta keep the kids reading.
I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

I would say that MX on MO is a great idea.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Sure, works for me. I love Dirty bikes

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

Just got back from 3 days of trail riding in WV. I'll post a report when I get time and find my camera.

More dirt!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

I'd like to see dirt tests. Maybe something could spark my interest again. I'm still bummed that the manufacturers have gotten open class racing eliminated. I guess it's because they can barely make a 450 4-stroke equal to a 250 2 stroke and don't want the embarrassment of having their hats handed to them in open class any more.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Hell I love dirt bikes. I might even buy one to embarass myself riding in the dirt again. It sure is fun! Let's have a go at it!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

I don't, haven't and probably never will ride a dirt bike, and the old Honda three wheeler at Glamis is a long ago memory.

But, I'm all over having dirt thrown on the site!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

The last factory "works" two strokes around 1997 (according to Rick Sieman) were puitting out close to sixty (yes) sixty freeking horsepower.

But after investigating how much power the new four strikers are putting out (at the expense of what) they eclipsed the 250 2 stroke about four years ago. Remember the first YZ400 Yamaha four stroke? It was slower than a 250 two stroke of the same era, then the factories went nuts, and gave us works four strokes with the life expectancy of a hand grenade with the pin pulled. They're fast though.

Before my "mishap" I got to ride a Pro-Circuit works 450 Honda with all the trick stuff, it weighed around 230 something and put out 55 horsepower. Scary fast.

But still not as fast as my old CR500. Completely different poweband.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
SmokeU
Registered Member

I haven't ridden dirt in 13 years. It was awesome and I'd like to see more.

I used to know Heath Voss, he's often credited as the first person to race the 450 Honda in a race(Vegas). The thing had some fueling issues and liked to buck, he ended up breaking his wrist the first time out with it. He used to show us how the pins in his wrist would twist. Rather disgusting...
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
Neal
Founding Member

Default Im In

As a vintage MX guy with a son and 2 grandsons who ride dirt, im all for all dirt oriented stories you can throw at us.

here's the deal. I've been told in not so subtle terms that dirt bike coverage here on the electronic pages of MO won't get much attention, if any. [/size][/font][/color]

That's sad, because in this decade, dirt motorcycles are reaching new levels of excellence that can only be described as a revolution in design process, and manufacture. Bikes that we could only dream about five short years ago are here now, for sale. Available to the general public!
<O

Any rider with the right amount of money can walk into a dealership, and purchase a dirt bike that five years ago was a works-only proposition.
<O

So what I'm asking from my fellow MOrons, is to give some feedback on if you want to see extended tests on new dirt bikes on Motorcycle.com. We're not talking about a few hours of press intro stuff, but real honest-to-God race testing and reporting on the new breed of dirt bike.

Where we take a new Husky for instance, and live with it for a month or so, race it in its intended venue, and report our findings, good or bad, to you the faithful reader.

It's all up to you. <O[/quote]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote