Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Are You A Member Of The Ama? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/12787-you-member-ama.html)

MOKE1K 08-08-2009 06:25 AM

Are You A Member Of The Ama?

Membership Has Its Privileges: Show (You) The Money
by dean adams Superbikeplanet
Friday, August 07, 2009
In the highly charged press conference last year at Daytona where it was announced that DMG would be buying AMA Pro Racing, a man in the press corp asked AMA CEO Rob Dingman how much DMG wold be paying for the AMA's racing entity.

A direct quote from that press conference follows:

Q Rob, is there a dollar figure associated with this transfer of the rights, and if so, what will AMA members see from that compensation?

DINGMAN: As I stated earlier, there are a lot of details that we're still working out. Once we have a definitive agreement, then we can talk more about what the finances are, but I'm not prepared to talk about that at the moment until we finalize the arrangement.

After months had passed, I asked the AMA at least twice to be informed about the exact dollar amount DMG paid AMA and what the plans were for the presumably multi-million dollar fee paid and any for other details of the transaction.

In response, AMA Communications said once that the deal was not yet complete, and then later that the deal was complete but was subject to a confidentiality clause. I asked how a membership organization like the AMA can be subject to a confidentiality clause, but didn't get too far, presumably because I am not and have not been an AMA member for a decade or so. It's no secret that I am not an AMA member.

As AMA members in good standing, members should be requesting the details of transaction, and for any and other details, for example if the contract has a time limit, to know the full dollar amount and where the money is right now. AMA members should make this request directly to AMA CEO Rob Dingmann and the board member from their region. According to previous AMA CEOs and Presidents, members can simply ask the AMA for any documents and records you wish to see. After that you're going to either view the documents or you're going to come to the conclusion that all the AMA's talk about "increased transparency" and being devoted to their members is dubious at best.

One Soup staffer/FOS who received his membership renewal this week, asking him to opt in for his 20th year, is going to once again ask for specifics like those are detailed in this story. But, like every year, his annual list of questions will probably fall on deaf ears.

If you're an AMA member, presumably, you have a right to see these documents and if not, you should perhaps consider whether you should belong to the AMA or not.

Members can start on this page of the AMA web site for contact information. If you receive a response please let us know.

AMA Members Area

Kenneth_Moore 08-09-2009 01:01 PM

However flawed the AMA may be, it's all we've got on the national stage. ABATE as some influence at the state or community level, but only the AMA works at the Federal level to protect our rights to ride. They've gone through some serious issues; pretty much the entire management structure was tossed out last year over "accounting irregularities." But in spite of that, the AMA still managed to cut off an outrageous law that would have been in effect right now, right here in Florida, that would have allowed our bikes to be siezed under drug laws and require arrest and jail for speeding on bikes.

I'm a member, and I will renew. Even so, I'll reserve the right to make fun of them.

longride 08-09-2009 04:27 PM

"It's no secret that I am not an AMA member."

Then maybe you (whoever wrote this) should spend your time worrying about an organization you ARE a member of.

seruzawa 08-09-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 221201)
"It's no secret that I am not an AMA member."

Then maybe you (whoever wrote this) should spend your time worrying about an organization you ARE a member of.

So do I have this right? He's unhappy that a private organization he's not a member of won't give him all the internal memos he wants?

MOKE1K 08-09-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 221204)
So do I have this right? He's unhappy that a private organization he's not a member of won't give him all the internal memos he wants?

Hes uncovering a truth. I that is the only point?

longride 08-09-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 221206)
Hes uncovering a truth. I that is the only point?

Who is he 'uncovering' the 'truth' for? He isn't a member, so he shouldn't worry about any supposed 'truth'. Let the members like myself worry about that.

seruzawa 08-09-2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 221209)
Who is he 'uncovering' the 'truth' for? He isn't a member, so he shouldn't worry about any supposed 'truth'. Let the members like myself worry about that.

Private organizations don't have to open all their internal workings to anyone who decided he wants to see them. Maybe this guy thinks that being a journalist gives him such a right. Sorry. I do treasury document work for a non-profit and I'd never ever co-operate with the press. Not ever. They can go suck eggs. Especially since they so religiously lie and distort. And especially "superbikeplanet". I applaud the AMA's refusal to play games with any self-promoting busybody.

Hey, LR. Let's set up a website, call it "The Truth About Motorcycling" and demand that "superbikeplanet" open up all their personal financial data for us. We'd have as much validity as any other overblown clown on the internet.

longride 08-10-2009 04:21 AM

"Hey, LR. Let's set up a website, call it "The Truth About Motorcycling" and demand that "superbikeplanet" open up all their personal financial data for us. We'd have as much validity as any other overblown clown on the internet."

Yup, they will open them books right up, won't they?

pplassm 08-10-2009 04:35 AM

I'm a life member. I don't care if they gave DMG the racing rights for free.

So there.