Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Sport-Touring Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/12772-2009-sport-touring-shootout.html)

Administrator 08-06-2009 02:10 PM

2009 Sport-Touring Shootout

Original Article:
2009 Sport-Touring Shootout

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Sport-Touring Shootout in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Buzglyd 08-06-2009 02:38 PM

I like the Bimmer because of the available options. If you're going to pile on big miles, cruise control is a great option. Why don't the other bikes offer something so simple?

acecycleins 08-06-2009 02:56 PM

I've ridden the FJR, Conni and the K1200GT within the last 6 months. My fav is the FJR. My cousin owns one. He's the only guy I know that will two up wheelie a ST (not by accident). Man, is that type of stuff hard on the front end.
I like the K bike well enough and the Conni was a mile eater, but the FJR was more fun at Deals Gap than the others.

pushrod 08-06-2009 03:13 PM

Nicely done, guys!

The_AirHawk 08-06-2009 03:26 PM

What? No PC800? What the hell is wrong with you guys - leaving the King of Sport Touring out of this?

Buzglyd 08-06-2009 03:28 PM

Shoulda mixed in that big Honda Vtwin scooter. I'll bet at 15 grand a pop, it's selling like hotcakes!

Kenneth_Moore 08-06-2009 04:22 PM

An excellent article, well worth the wait. There were some surprises. The Concours got spanked on handling? I'd have thought the old ST would have been the dog there. The ST's brakes were tops? Again, didn't see that coming. The BMW was priced thouands more than the rest? GASP!!

You nailed it on the windshield criticality. Probably no other topic comes up more often on any touring type of website. When it's right, it's a wonderful thing, when it's wrong it ruins the ride. My Concours 1000 had a perfect screen, a calm, dry bubble that wouldn't blow your cigar ash off. The only way to fix the DL1000 was buying a "sport screen," which is no screen at all.

Can't wait to get home and watch the videos with surround-sound and 21' high resolution!

fonzie 08-06-2009 04:31 PM

I knew we could count on your guys for spotting our weaknesses!

Pete_Brissette 08-06-2009 05:37 PM

Whatch you talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 220994)
The ST's brakes were tops? Again, didn't see that coming.

Er, what?

Sure you're reading the same comparo?

"The Yamaha tops the heap in the stopping department. Its clampers had the best combination of power and greatest feel...Our Honda test unit’s linked brakes and optional ABS worked quite well...But both bikes [HONDA and KAWI] were just a tick off the Yamaha and BMW..."

:cool:

jmdonald 08-06-2009 05:46 PM

Good for you, you bastards.

Another well thought out stellar shoot out. I for one am glad to see the M.O. journalists making another 100 grand per diem, riding the best motorcycles and roads in the universe along with the super intelligent females with the sportbike experience crediblility to comment to the high degree we expect from our testers. A lesser man I would be jealous.