Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Brissette View Post
Er, what?

Sure you're reading the same comparo?

"The Yamaha tops the heap in the stopping department. Its clampers had the best combination of power and greatest feel...Our Honda test unit’s linked brakes and optional ABS worked quite well...But both bikes [HONDA and KAWI] were just a tick off the Yamaha and BMW..."

Ken had Obama read the story to him. That way it comes out the way the O wants it and not how things really are.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Alright ill say it before someone other a$$hat does...

Where was the sprint ST? Where was the Guzzi!? where was the Buell!?

Why ALL THESE POO-POO BIKES!!?!!?!?

Sorry im just really bored O_o
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Alright ill say it before someone other a$$hat does...

Where was the sprint ST? Where was the Guzzi!? where was the Buell!?

Why ALL THESE POO-POO BIKES!!?!!?!?

Sorry im just really bored O_o
Be nice. These are the new generation sport tourers which weigh as much as the full boat tourers of the early 70s. They had vastly improved suspensions and muchos more power. They are a lot more comfortable than a SprintST, but less sporty. To each his own.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Brissette View Post
Er, what?

Sure you're reading the same comparo?

"The Yamaha tops the heap in the stopping department. Its clampers had the best combination of power and greatest feel...Our Honda test unit’s linked brakes and optional ABS worked quite well...But both bikes [HONDA and KAWI] were just a tick off the Yamaha and BMW..."

Whups, my bad. FJ is really close to ST....geez.

I'll be more careful next time, I promise.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Ken had Obama read the story to him. That way it comes out the way the O wants it and not how things really are.
Shut up and go buy your stupid GI Joe bike.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #16
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Nice write-up, guys. Thanks!

IMHO, the Kwacker and the Yamaha have the best styling. The BMW looks somewhat clunky in photos. I don't care how smooth something rides. If it looks boring, it ain't going in my garage.

What's up with the BMW's price?! For $22K, a person could buy two sweet rides.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #17
bramfrank
Registered Member

Default Well done guys

I ride an FJR and I was impressed at how well the bike fared (pardon the pun) in the comparo. It seemed like a well balanced group of reviews.

I've ridden 3 of the 4 bikes - I have yet to find someone who owns a K1300GT who will let me ride it - but I find the Kawasaki tranny and smooth mill to be awe inspiring.

As to low ground clearance on the FJR . . . I'm just not sure. It is, after all an ST machine you're reviewing.

Note that Cruise Control is EASILY added to any bike with a fairing - I have Audiovox's unit installed on my ride - it can be added to the Honda and Concours just as easily.

As to the complaint about the FJR's resetting windscreen; You guys raise that issue with every review. That is easily dealt with by unplugging a connector that is not hard to access. However after a couple of seasons of leaving the screen where it was when I dismounted I went back to the automatic reset because it gave me a constant starting point. And, missing from this review; The handlebars on the Feej are adjustable.

On the other hand, complaints about how 'complicated' it might be to adjust suspension or ergonomic settings, we need to keep in mind that we tend to do it when the machines are procured. So if it takes a couple of minutes, who cares? We only do it once.

About the only real issue I have with ANY of these reviews is that the reviewers tend to be somewhat shorter and slighter than your average North American male - especially as it relates to the type of person who does LD touring on bikes such as these; It tends to skew the ergonomic reporting. On the other hand, it also reduces the rider's impact on the overall performance evaluation.

I realise that this was a comparison of STOCK bikes, but note that the C14 can be made more powerful in the real life environment of the lower RPM ranges where the Yamaha performs (and does any of us really need more power in this class?) by removing the secondary butterflies - easily gotten to and removed by undoing 8 screws.

So it was clear that the BMW was the overall favorite . . . if money was no object.

But sales figures seem to imply that price is an extremely important issue, which is why the sales numbers trend to the C14 (non-ABS) and Yamaha ahead of the Beemer and Honda - though the Honda may well simply be suffering from a perceived 'it is biased too much toward the touring side of the S-T balance point'.

I think you guys said it right by saying that THERE TRULY WAS NO CLEAR LOSER.

Last edited by bramfrank : 08-06-2009 at 11:13 PM.
bramfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #18
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Good points, Bramfrank! The FJR's ground clearance isn't really an issue, but we didn't really make it one - we just noted the point. Also, we should've noted the FJR's adjustable handlebar. Funny how 5000 words aren't enough to say it all!

Now, Pete and I will spend the next week on a rack trying to gain some height...
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #19
bramfrank
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Now, Pete and I will spend the next week on a rack trying to gain some height...
I know of a surgeon in Siberia who can add 4 inches (to your height ) for about $26K - maybe you can get it done as a tax-deductible requirement for your jobs with a multiple-purchase discount?

Last edited by bramfrank : 08-06-2009 at 11:33 PM.
bramfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #20
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

Unhappy Thanks, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramfrank View Post

On the other hand, complaints about how 'complicated' it might be to adjust suspension or ergonomic settings, we need to keep in mind that we tend to do it when the machines are procured. So if it takes a couple of minutes, who cares? We only do it once.

About the only real issue I have with ANY of these reviews is that the reviewers tend to be somewhat shorter and slighter than your average North American male - especially as it relates to the type of person who does LD touring on bikes such as these; It tends to skew the ergonomic reporting. On the other hand, it also reduces the rider's impact on the overall performance evaluation.

I realise that this was a comparison of STOCK bikes...

So it was clear that the BMW was the overall favorite . . . if money was no object.

But sales figures seem to imply that price is an extremely important issue, which is why the sales numbers trend to the C14 (non-ABS) and Yamaha ahead of the Beemer and Honda - though the Honda may well simply be suffering from a perceived 'it is biased too much toward the touring side of the S-T balance point'.

I think you guys said it right by saying that THERE TRULY WAS NO CLEAR LOSER.
All the aftermarket and real world fix-ups are interesting to know, and I'm sure various owners will think to try one or two. However...

Not sure if using the word 'complaint' is necessarily fair. We simply noted that some bikes adjusted with less effort than others, or available adjustments were at least easier to access. We tried to come across as objective as possible, but like most things, its in the eye of the beholder. What may be a PIA to one person may seem like a snap to the other. Nevertheless, if something is more easily done on one motorcycle than on another, than that's just a matter of fact.

I try, as often as I can remember, to make note of testers' statures, thereby allowing the reader to draw their own conclusion(s) as to whether an certain ergo factor, or ride quality will be consequential to the reader. In other words, a reader may be able to make decisions about a remark based on how they relate to the tester's build.

Furthermore, though none of us are buff 200 pounders, or necessarily card-carrying race club members, I'm willing to bet that (when we specifically choose to based upon what were trying to assess) we can ride (push) the bikes to a level that allows us to evaluate a wide range of the bike's performance, some of which may be similar to what a heavier rider may experience based solely on their larger frame.

Though we don't have to pay for these things, I think we made a good case for why we felt the BMW was the winner objectively without letting the absence of cost consideration ("money no object") skew our opinion. In other words, an extra $5,000 didn't make the BMW handle better than the Kawi. It simply did.

But, as you noted and I tried to communicate, you could make a case for any of them. However, for the right person, be they independently wealthy or just a work-a-day Joe who likes his bikes, the cost of the Beemer (base model or loaded) isn't a factor. If a person really likes the idea of having traction control, than it's worth every penny to them. And since the BMW is the only one of these that offers options like that, they become like "value-added" features. But again, value is relative.

You tease with this alleged collection of sales figures. I'd be curious to see the hard numbers if you have them, and where they came from, please!

But most of all, I'm not sure I'm ready to trust someone who claims to know about the average American male physique, yet spells realize with an 's.'

Thanks for playing!