Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Should You Ride a Motorcycle? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/12752-should-you-ride-motorcycle.html)

Administrator 08-04-2009 02:22 PM

Should You Ride a Motorcycle?

Original Article:
Should You Ride a Motorcycle?

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Should You Ride a Motorcycle? in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Duken4evr 08-25-2009 06:33 PM

Tongue in cheek time. This is how I propose we determine who should ride and where. Rather than displacement "tiered" licenses, I would like to see "speed rated" licenses. Take a track based test, get appropriate license. Each license type would have a distinctive colored plate.

"Newbies" would be limited to surface streets with speed limits up to 50 mph, "Intermediates" allowed to ride freeways up to the posted speed limit, "Experts" allowed to go to 135 mph and "Unlimited" licensed riders would exempt from speeding tickets altogether. Unlimited riders would get nice Ferrari red license plates!

Unlimited riders would operate under a system like Montana had. "Reasonable and prudent" speed. I submit that 170 mph on a lonely country road is reasonable and safe on a modern Superbike ridden by someone who really knows what they are doing. If a cop disagreed, the "open class" rider could be advised in a friendly manner to ride carefully according to existing weather and road conditions, no fines involved.

Crashing would cost speed rating points. Really stupid crashing would result in license demotion to "newbie" status. Seems like a reasonable solution to me. Ready to really ride?

By the way, I humbly volunteer as "license tester". My job, which would pay 65K a year and include full government benefits, would consist of taking prospective licensees on awesome canyon rides and evaluating them. Standing ready and willing to be of service. I will even use my own FZ1, although a state supplied Ducati 1098S would not be frowned upon :)

boling 08-26-2009 01:39 AM

I agree with you,I think you are right,good luck to you guy!

seruzawa 08-26-2009 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boling (Post 222570)
I agree with you,I think you are right,good luck to you guy!

And good luck to you too!

motodomain 08-26-2009 05:13 AM

Check out another stupid marketing site!

longride 08-26-2009 05:27 AM

"Some people, if they in a moment of inner clarity would self evaluate, really ought to just say, “no thanks,” and forget motorcycling altogether."

I would say this is correct, but would change the 'Some' to 'Most'. Too many in it for the wrong reasons, and then the shyt hits the fan and the Feds want to get everyone 'safe'. Most of these people should take up golf. That's my .02

Duken4evr 08-26-2009 06:16 AM

I agree. Such people can be easily identified in the want ads - "baby on the way, bike must go!" is a good indicator that the guy:

1) Had no business riding in the first place.
2) Is completely PW'd and in for a miserable life, culminating in divorce and endless child support payments.

It is amazing how much can be divined from a want ad!

seruzawa 08-26-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 222575)
I agree. Such people can be easily identified in the want ads - "baby on the way, bike must go!" is a good indicator that the guy:

1) Had no business riding in the first place.
2) Is completely PW'd and in for a miserable life, culminating in divorce and endless child support payments.

It is amazing how much can be divined from a want ad!

Amen. Why would a motorcyclist hook up with a woman who didn't like bikes? LOL! Letting your gonads lead you around in life will always lead to trouble. Just look at Ken!

But on the plus side this year there is a shytload of good used deals from all those wussies who bought bikes when gas was $4.

SmokeU 08-26-2009 06:35 AM

I see dead people.

I also made it clear to the vife that the bike's not going anywhere.

The_AirHawk 08-26-2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeU (Post 222578)
I see dead people.

I also made it clear to the vife that the bike's not going anywhere.

I've made it clear to every woman in my life. Some have left because of it (others have left for OTHER reasons we'll not discuss here........)