Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
jindi
Registered Member

Default Introduction of benzalkonium chloride

Benzalkonium chloride is readily soluble in ethanol and acetone. Although dissolution in water is slow, aqueous solutions are easier to handle and are preferred. Solutions should be neutral to slightly alkaline, with colour ranging from colourless to a pale yellow. Solutions foam profusely when shaken, have a bitter taste and a faint almond-like odour which is only detectable in concentrated solutions.

Last edited by seruzawa : 08-04-2009 at 06:06 AM. Reason: more stupidity.
jindi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Interesting, the introduction of polychlorinated biphenoyls to base stock lubricating oil will allow high voltage transformers to operate at a stable temperature due to it's dielctic and insulating proporties , however because of their carcinogenic effect they were banned in the U.S. starting in the mid 70's....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 08-04-2009 at 08:07 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Now those chemical engineers are rioting here!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Now those chemical engineers are rioting here!

Those chemical engineers sure are a riot!
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
Those chemical engineers sure are a riot!
You better watch it! Those chemical engineers can be some real free radicals! (ba da bing!)
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
You better watch it! Those chemical engineers can be some real free radicals! (ba da bing!)

They would be if we weren't in the Obamastration!
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Perhaps an introduction of monomythylhydrazine to nitrogentetroxide would be of interest. As I'm sure Ken can remember from his days at NASA, the reaction is usually a very large boom followed by hurling a few thousand tons of iron mongery into orbit.....

Old 08-05-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

Chemical engineers are revolting.

Honk if you passed P-Chem.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Perhaps an introduction of monomythylhydrazine to nitrogentetroxide would be of interest. As I'm sure Ken can remember from his days at NASA, the reaction is usually a very large boom followed by hurling a few thousand tons of iron mongery into orbit.....
I love the smell of hypergolics in the morning...

Actually the hypergolics were only for on-orbit work; the OMS engines and the reaction thrusters. You get into orbit on SRBs and main engines. There is a very cool APU subsystem that runs on the hypergolics though while on the pad and in flight. There's 3 APUs, they have a chamber they squirt the fuels into, it goes BOOM and spins a turbine, which then pressurizes the hydraulics. If you watch the telemetry while they're running it's a series of RPM spikes; like some Harley poser blipping his throttle at a stoplight.

It really pisses me off that we don't think we're smart enough to fly Shuttles any more. NASA is scrapping the Shuttles and reverting to oversized Apollo capsules. It's an outrage, we should be building the next generation of shuttle-type air/spacecraft, not backing up to 1960's designs.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The only experiance I had with MMH and NTO was during test and trials for the LEROS series satellite engines.

****** owned a steam operated high altittude chamber originally designed to test the Luner Rover in the 60's. Royal Ordinance contracted with them to develope the LEROS 1 boosters and since it was a defence and space program I was the one sent up there to get the boiler and steam operated vacuum system back online.

It worked by running high pressure steam through a series of sequential venturies that created a vacuum in the chamber. It was a pretty cool deal in a Rube Goldberg kind of way, all stick shift 60's tech, miles of copper air line for the pnumatic control valves at each venturie, black oil fired 425psi boiler all hand operated, The only automatic valves were the main stop and an exhaust valve I used for standby.

It took me over a month to replace control lines and rotted out diaphrams in the valves, open and inspect the boiler and DA tank and get the boiler lit off and fireing reliably and then figure out how the hell to sequance everything. It was actually a lot of fun to run the thing and we could replicate about 90k ft altitude with it on a good day.

We worked with RO for a couple of years doing the testing, great bunch of guys and pretty interesting watching them do the test burns and calibrations.