Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #21
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
You mean that company that has sold about 15,000 bikes in the past ten years, to Harley's 2,500,000 or so in the same period? THAT Victory?
Yeah, they don't charge extra for their limited-edition status!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #22
CrashieTX
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Harley knows its own Market - and it's technology is about as 21st-Century as a Z51 Corvette or "new" Camaro SS.
Wow, Guys discussing things with out screaming about how Harley should be the new American Honda.

As for the state of the art, I just look at the Fury and really wanted one but they took a good bike and castrated it. Outside of quality control problems, all it is visual style. Even Harley and Victory haven't fallen into that trap.

As for where I'm putting my dollar is Victory. My Hammer S is coming in soon. And I already have most the parts I'm going to mod it with including a 21" front end and steering geometry work to do.

But as for American designing, Chevy is in the same fix as HD. The core crowd hasn't turned green and wants it's big engines and rear wheel drive. Does Chevy cut it's throat for Obama. Now that doesn't it mean it becomes a Japanese car company but somehow it still needs to remain American and yet progressive enough to still give American's what they want but in a modern enough package to appeal to people that are not in it's core crowd.

Victory is metamorphing and will beat HD to the bronze ring before if HD doesn't learn how to do the same without losing it's core crowd no matter how unforgiving they are.

Just how intelligent is America?
CrashieTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #23
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Victory has a long way to go before H-D gets nervous, but they do produce a good alternative to the bar and shield.

Hope your Hammer treats you well, and welcome to the board!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #24
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Victory has a long way to go before H-D gets nervous, but they do produce a good alternative to the bar and shield.

Hope your Hammer treats you well, and welcome to the board!
Are you going to send him the new member gift basket and coupon book? I'm still waiting for mine.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #25
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Honda gave us a DN-01 to deliver the gift baskets, but I'm still looking for the underseat storage...
Old 09-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #26
pplassm
Founding Member

FNG? Attack!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:56 AM   #27
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Honda gave us a DN-01 to deliver the gift baskets, but I'm still looking for the underseat storage...
Even if you find it there wont' be any room because of all the Coast Guard required stuff already in there...life preservers, anchor, horn, fire extinguisher.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #28
Z-Rod
Founding Member

Geeze. Go to Huff Post or Free Republic to decry USA manufaturing faults, guys. Let's talk bikes, OK!!

The Wide Glide is the first Harley I remember learning the name of, way back in the 1980s when it was built on the old frame. It went away for a while, came back as a Dyna, and went away again, and her it is.

So, what's good or bad about it?

I guess either you like the big rake, or you don't. If you don't you can buy any of the other Dyna's, they are all 29*. This bad boy is 34*, a pretty standard rake for a mild-chopper. Neither the articles or specs say if there is more rake in the trees to reduce the trail. At 5" I suspect they have another 3* in the trees like the old WG did.

The back end is great. The old turned up tail was dated and needed to go. This is now one of the nicest fenders in the Harley lineup!. The whole side mount, no tail-light is clean and again, chopperesque.

I'm less sure about the super low ride hight. The WG already was infamous for dragging parts. Another 1.5 inches can't help. What's the obsession with super low? I don't get it. The old one was already low. The WG has always been a "big guys" bike - due to the forward controls. The Low Rider is there for the small guys. Why drop the bike that much, most WG riders aren't going to need the extra inch of stand-over, but might use the turning clearance.

One thing I don't like really is the new tank. The old tank was really nice - it was a bit bigger than all the other Dyna tanks, and slightly squared off at the back. It was subtle, but it was the coolest Dyna tank. The new one is slightly smaller than all the rest. (The Fat Bob now has the biggest Dyna tank.) Still it looks nice on the bike.

Overall I'm glad to see the WG back in the lineup. With the 96" motor and 6 speed its probably the most roadworthy, and it retains the classic feel while moving the ball forward a bit.

It will be interesting to see how it sells. I think Harley is going after a different demographic with the Dyna line - prices have dropped, flat paint, the "Dark" campaign, etc. Aiming for bad-ass 20 and 30 years olds with most of that. This bike really is for the 50 year olds who remember the classic chopper era of Easy Rider, bay area choppers, and the rest.

I do wish, with that in mind they'd drop the flat paint on this and just give us classic nice harly paint and colors - Blues, Reds, Yellows .. besides the black. I bet the flat red doesn't sell much on this bike.

Haven't seen one in the flesh, but I might be tempted.

Last edited by Z-Rod : 09-25-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Z-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #29
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

The WG has 5.2 inches of trail. The Super Glide Dyna has 4.7.

About the seat heights, H-D's research says that many potential buyers gauge the suitability of a bike while sitting on it in a showroom. Seat height is a critical element of this sit test. Personally, I'd rather have a higher seat and better ground clearance, but Harley's marketing dept is usually quite adept, so we are perhaps in the minority.

You're right about Harley going after a younger audience, and this is a must-win demo for a company that has an older average age. But if you don't like matte finishes or flames, you still can get the WG in Red Hot Sunglo!

Last edited by Kevin_Duke : 09-25-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #30
mugwump58
Registered Member

"... the first Harley I remember learning the name of..." Electra Glide. When did that movie come out? Electra Glide in Blue I think it was.