Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Night Riding (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/12416-night-riding.html)

Administrator 07-01-2009 11:23 AM

Night Riding

Original Article:
Night Riding

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Night Riding in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

pushrod 07-01-2009 11:49 AM

A decent 101-level discourse on the topic.

However, I doubt that riding at night could ever be as safe as riding in the daytime, given the same bike, rider and road.

Viz is compromised for both the rider and the others on the road. And that's the ones that are paying attention.

Kenneth_Moore 07-01-2009 01:36 PM

So did MO open a can of Generic Motorcycle Articles today? Where did they get this stuff?

User Name 07-02-2009 09:58 PM

Happy 4th to you too!

ericrosten 04-12-2013 01:57 PM

I just bought a new left-over '11 FZ1 and plan to paint on this canvas over the next couple years with tasteful and functional bits, lighting to definately be one of them.

I've saved several aftermarket links to companies that do HID projector retrofitting as a main business, with good results. Youtube and pictures identify the effect. That said, no matter how bright the forward throw of light may get, the issue with motorcycles is they lean while navigating curves, so some scattered light is actually better than a well focused projector housing for that aspect.

So to accomodate, there are several high output LED auxilary kits available for motorcycles that would do a good job filling the blank spots to the sides of the headlights' reaches while leaned, I feel.

Also I've been listening to several great motorcycle podcasts for over a year who have hosted gear/gadget makers on their shows, and have found more tech such as frequency modulated LED strips mounted in specific patterns have been shown in tests to catch motorists' eyes much more quickly as something unique to the rest of the highway congestion.

There are solutions galore in the aftermarket. LED, HID, modulators, reflectors, tape, swatches, piping, fuse blocks, switches, etc.

backroadbob.com 04-18-2013 03:22 PM

Eric, you are so right in your assessment of lighting and the need for increased visibility at night. I covered night riding in my latest motorcycle safety book, Accident-Free Riding (Vol. 2), and here's a paragraph from the article -

"Night riding is a scary experience and if it doesn't scare you, it should. Face-bashing insects, road debris, and pavement imperfections can't be avoided if they can't be seen. Night time is no time to ride relaxed. You should be positioned on your motorcycle so you're ready for anything (see Accident-Free Riding Volume I). A firm grip on the bars, fingers covering the levers, knees gripping the tank, and feet positioned to instantly brake and shift can help you maintain control of your motorcycle if you contact something unseen that tries to catapult you from your ride."

A few years ago, MCN did an exhaustive study of lighting and they found a circular grouping of five dime-sized LEDs mounted in a conical housing gave the best light pattern.

proheli 04-18-2013 09:30 PM

Very nice. I like it when you guys do these rider education pieces.