Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
You're welcome Doc, top cruising speed is like 55... 65 with tail wind and downhill... I wouldn't put this on the highway unless it's rush hour and you live in a state where you can share lanes...
Well, there goes that idea! 55 mph?! What's it good for, if not getting you run over by a semi loaded with chickens (a Delmarva reference)?! Better upgrade to the Reflex 250. Aren't there any other options for highway capable scooters that don't cost eight large to buy (insert Honda Silverwing here)?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
robret
Registered Member

i ride the cbr 125 before i ride that thing. its faster, better tires, better brakes, and best of all cheaper.
its not how good you do it. its how good you look doing it.
robret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Well, there goes that idea! 55 mph?! What's it good for, if not getting you run over by a semi loaded with chickens (a Delmarva reference)?! Better upgrade to the Reflex 250. Aren't there any other options for highway capable scooters that don't cost eight large to buy (insert Honda Silverwing here)?
If you are going to throw the scratch for the Reflex you may as well get the Burgman400. About the same price as I recall.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
you’ll be happy to see there’s an HECS3 oxygen-sensing catalytic converter stuffed into the system for the benefit of greener pastures.
Erm, no, I wouldn't be. I assume it adds weight and expense while doing nothing for performance except possibly choking it some.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
pplassm
Founding Member

Hmmm. Scooters. I see lots of them around these days, even on the 55 MPH "secondary" roads in the suburbs.

But the scooters I see are just about all cheap, throwaway, under $1000, 50cc jobs.

In this state, two wheeled vehicles under 50cc and 35 MPH (right!) do not require licensing, registration, insurance, or brains. Nor is there a state requirement for helmet and eye protection, although most localities have enacted by-laws requiring them.

I also see quite a few larger-than-50cc scooters operated under these laws usually with some strategic modification of stickerage and badging to keep up the deception.

So, where does a large, expensive, albeit "quality" scooter fit in around here? There are already quite a few 250cc and up scooters for sale, and, yes they have operating requirements the same as motorcycles.

I am not sure, but it is not for me. My 25 year old daughter loves it, though.

As soon as my knee gets better, I am putting my YSR50 back together. It has a YZ80 engine, runs on pre-mix and goes 65 MPH. Scooters? Pah!
Old 06-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #16
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
As soon as my knee gets better, I am putting my YSR50 back together. It has a YZ80 engine, runs on pre-mix and goes 65 MPH. Scooters? Pah!
Ah, the YSR. Brings back fond memories of racing a Honda NSR50: NSR50 Update Kenny's First Time - Honda Sportbike Project Bike - Motorcycle USA

On a related note, Pete and I spent last Friday demoralizing a few literbikes while we rode an Aprilia RS125 and Moriwaki MD250H. Pete brought up the old adage of: It's way more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow! We had a blast!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #17
robret
Registered Member

On a related note, Pete and I spent last Friday demoralizing a few literbikes while we rode an Aprilia RS125 and Moriwaki MD250H. Pete brought up the old adage of: It's way more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow! We had a blast!

now your talking good times
robret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #18
yonian
Founding Member

Default Manual transmission scooters?

The SH150i is the best selling scooter in Italy? Do they have a manual transmission version in Europe? I'm old enough that I'm not embarrassed to be seen on a scooter, but I still gotta have a clutch. S'fars I know, the two-stroke Genuine Stella ($3,600 list) is the only Scooter with a clutch still sold in the USA.

The only brand new bike I'd actually buy myself would be a Honda Cub (yeah, I know it's got a centrifugal clutch - but it's got a gearbox). I just checked and the C90 lists in Mexico for about $2,200.

I probably represent a potential market of maybe a few dozen annually, though. So I'm not holding my breath for the market to give me what I want.
yonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:04 AM   #19
pplassm
Founding Member

Is that a Concours rear end?
Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #20
yonian
Founding Member

You have a good eye. Immediately after taking that picture I replaced the seal and cleaned everything up. I'm lucky the leaking gear oil didn't get on the working part of the tire before I noticed how bad things were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Is that a Concours rear end?
yonian is offline   Reply With Quote