Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Buell Factory Tour

Original Article:
Buell Factory Tour

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Buell Factory Tour in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Interesting. Though I've good-naturedly slagged on Buell/Harley, I've always admired his efforts at building an American Sportbike.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

They have a 'real motor' in their bikes now. Haven't you heard the news?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Thank god they have special rules that allow it to be competitive.

Sorry, couldnt resist.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

I loves me some Buells!! Whether you like the bikes or not, (and even if you think the entire motorcycling universe revolves around a racetrack and rules...), you gotta hand it to Erik. He seems pretty freaking serious about building bikes. Not bad for a guy who started putting shyt together in his garage.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Hey no disrespect, but the facts are the facts. Even looking back through their racing history, they could never compete on equal terms.
I enjoy the bikes starting from the xb9r up and thats about it. I love riding twins dont get me wrong. Its just the in-lines these days are so much stronger unless your on a 20k Ducati.

I dont believe the entire universe evolves around the racetrack just the important parts. Besides if your talking sportbikes, that topic cant be "not" mentioned. Thats like the guy who trys to install risers on his supersport bike for comfort.

And since you mentioned Garages I'll save praise for the likes of persons such as J.Britten.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Hey no disrespect, but the facts are the facts. Even looking back through their racing history, they could never compete on equal terms.

And since you mentioned Garages I'll save praise for the likes of persons such as J.Britten.
The RW had big potential until it was banned. And had Harley not rejected Erik's full-in-frame VR (from way back in '87), that bike might've been competitive in Superbike. Anyway, part of Erik's appeal is that he's been confronted with so many obstacles and keeps on plugging away. If you're at all interested in his fascinaing story, there's a new book called "25 Years of Buell" that is quite illuminating.

Godspeed, Mr. Britten. "John Britten" written by Tim Hanna is another great read.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I've read that book - me mum got it for me, autographed by Hanna.

Good book.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
robret
Registered Member

wow great article. what a great job. i love value no.5.
in the section " elvis is in the building". any body figure out what the heck is in that cardboard box?
as far as being competitive. its amazing what happens, when your told to add another 20 lbs to your bike. i haven't seen danny up at the front since.
all racing aside, the v-twin really is the perfect motor for a motorcycle. i believe eric has achieved that. the 1125 is a great street bike.
the unique thing about eric. is he won't give it a rest. he keeps working on it.
oh, all those under engine exhausts you see. thanx eric. cheers
robret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
I enjoy the bikes starting from the xb9r up and thats about it. I love riding twins dont get me wrong. Its just the in-lines these days are so much stronger unless your on a 20k Ducati.

I dont believe the entire universe evolves around the racetrack just the important parts. Besides if your talking sportbikes, that topic cant be "not" mentioned. Thats like the guy who trys to install risers on his supersport bike for comfort.

You're like a brick wall Moke. It's annoying. Speaking of facts, you always seem to forget the very fact that 99.9% of the bikes that all manufacturers build are destined to wear a license plate.

As for the guy who puts risers on his supersport for comfort...what's the point of an uncomfortable bike to begin with? And as far as Mr. Britten goes, I would certainly dish out all the praise I have, but I wouldn't "save" it for him. You mean to tell me you would shake hands with Mr. Buell and tell him he's no Britten?
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote