Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #21
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump58 View Post
Nice long video. I saw Mr. Duke on it

GabeUnchained
And Kevin Cameron in the background taking notes.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #22
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleripple View Post
HA! Have you seen my motor?? And that must be the ONLY technology you're talking about, right?. I'd hate to have to point out all the zero times you harp about any other components (in other words, you only ever tout a four cylinder engine, not the frames, swingarms, suspensions, brakes, and tires associated with those engines). So, to answer that point, no, absolutely no technology derived from the track went into my Buell, who's powerplant was cemented in...when, guys, I really don't know. 1950's? 60's?
Tripple I got to hand it to you bud, you hit the nail right on the head. Through my short time racing I never considerd racing the Buell because it lacked alot in the ways of technology. Yes your right, I stand corrected.
But in all reality even from the earliest days there has always been advancments in tecnology even like going from drum brakes to rotors was hugh, you have brake rotors dont you? See thats technology your bike has. And isnt the motors Sarnail is referring to used to race flat-track? Or in board track racing?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #23
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Moke, you can't know as much as you say you do about racing and not know that "special rules" have been the name of the game ever since there has been racing. Even the vaunted MotoGP has different weights for different cylinder configurations. All racing rules are arbitrary. Even the ones you agree with. There's no divine inspiration involved. It's just human beings setting up rules and then trying to cook them to their own advantage.

God didn't mandate displacement categories, humans did.

Though he did intend that the proper way to power a car is through the rear wheels.....
Your statment makes me question how much you really know about it. Compairing weight limits in motogp for different engine configurations, is pretty standard. That is the highest form of Motorcycle roadracing class there is wouldn't you excpect that. Now matching up a 1200cc vtwin against 600s is deffinatly a special rule. No divine intervetion there, just certain humans "taking advantage" of the rules imo. That pails in compairision to the weight limits in motogp? Thats the problems, is some humans take it way out of proportion. Now if your talking about cheating thats a different story all together!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Your statment makes me question how much you really know about it. Compairing weight limits in motogp for different engine configurations, is pretty standard. That is the highest form of Motorcycle roadracing class there is wouldn't you excpect that. Now matching up a 1200cc vtwin against 600s is deffinatly a special rule. No divine intervetion there, just certain humans "taking advantage" of the rules imo. That pails in compairision to the weight limits in motogp? Thats the problems, is some humans take it way out of proportion. Now if your talking about cheating thats a different story all together!
You don't like it = it's bad.

Solipsism.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #25
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

No, I AM for the incompairision, if its competitive. I think after watching the Daytona sportbike class and them adding to the weight of the buell its made it closer. What I am for is close racing, no matter how they go about it as long as it fair. Thats what I like being fair, nothing wrong with that. Is it perhaps the fact that most everyone here loves Harley/Buell and I dont?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #26
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Hi Mr. Buell,

Would you build a XL based cafe racer, please? 17" - 18" tires, clip-ons, bikini fairing, you know, all that '70's stuff. Here's a webpage if you're looking for inspriation:

hogbitz - splash page

I'd do it myself but I'm kind of tied up with an R5B at the moment.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #27
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Ken you are better off doing it yourself......with a pre-rubber mount Sporty. Mucho lighter.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #28
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I wanna see the oil leak department, or the carboned up exhaust valve test bench...gee, why do they hide all the good stuff?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #29
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Ken you are better off doing it yourself......with a pre-rubber mount Sporty. Mucho lighter.
It would be a hoot to build. However, I've had to come to grips with my gross lack of mechanical skills. I can install accessories all day long, but that's about it.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
It would be a hoot to build. However, I've had to come to grips with my gross lack of mechanical skills. I can install accessories all day long, but that's about it.
But that's the beauty of the Sporty. You don't need a lot of mechanical skill. Just a hammer, vise grips and some baling wire and you've got the sporty covered. Few people know this but it was designed to make inroads into the Iron Curtain countries. This required a bike that could be maintained by drunken fertilizer plant workers. All hail the proletariat!