Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #41
fireworks12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
How much irony can one statement contain? I think you have the record so far. Since nobody asked for your opinion why did you feel the need to share it? I'll post whatever I want to post and whenever I want to post it. As far as I know I don't really need your approval to do that. If you don't like what I said, too bad. My 'point' was that sportbikes ergos suck. Everyone pretty much knows that. It has only been that way for about 20 years or so. Changing ergos significantly on a sportbike can't really be done without ending up with a standard, hence if you want a hammer, then buy a hammer. Simple wins every time.
The difference is I didn't actually give an opinion about whether or not the review was good or bad without more ergo information. I asked a question as to whether or not MO would consider including more information with respect to changing the ergos. My opinion of the review itself is that it was good. My question doesn't have any opinion in it.

I have no interest in providing an approval of any kind to anyone about posting anything. Post whatever you want, but you can't go handing out your opinion on what I should be buying and why unless that is what I asked for, which I didn't. I'm perfectly aware that a sportsbike is not a standard, or an touring bike, or a cruiser. However they can be improved, and I'm asking MO if they would be open to the idea of include some information in that area. That's it.

Your suggestion to just go buy a new bike is flippant. I don't have the kind of money to just go and buy whatever takes my fancy. Hence my question to MO about possibly including more information about ergos so I (or others) can make the best of what I have. If you can afford to follow your own advice then you are a lucky man.
fireworks12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #42
fireworks12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Changing a sportbike to something more comfy strikes me as something akin to buying a (big) bike, then mounting a hack to it (or buying a trike conversion), then towing a trailer.

Seems to me if you wanted a car with no top, you'd just go buy one.

But hey, to each their own!

I'm guessing there is more than one guy in the city delivering pizzas on a Hayabusa.
Yes, but it can be done and is being done. Helibar, Corbin, and other companies address this area.

Would you sell your sportsbike for a Harley just to get a more comfortable seat? There is a market for this or the above companies and others wouldn't even exist.

My question to MO is if they would considering adding some information about improving ergos on sportsbikes.

I cannot afford to buy a new bike so I'd like to try and get the best out of what I have.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #43
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireworks12 View Post
The difference is I didn't actually give an opinion about whether or not the review was good or bad without more ergo information. I asked a question as to whether or not MO would consider including more information with respect to changing the ergos. My opinion of the review itself is that it was good. My question doesn't have any opinion in it.

I have no interest in providing an approval of any kind to anyone about posting anything. Post whatever you want, but you can't go handing out your opinion on what I should be buying and why unless that is what I asked for, which I didn't. I'm perfectly aware that a sportsbike is not a standard, or an touring bike, or a cruiser. However they can be improved, and I'm asking MO if they would be open to the idea of include some information in that area. That's it.

Your suggestion to just go buy a new bike is flippant. I don't have the kind of money to just go and buy whatever takes my fancy. Hence my question to MO about possibly including more information about ergos so I (or others) can make the best of what I have. If you can afford to follow your own advice then you are a lucky man.

Yes but improving the ergos on a sportbike kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? More comfortable ergos will more than likely make the bike perform worse and performance is the main aspect of sportbikes is it not?
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #44
fireworks12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
Yes but improving the ergos on a sportbike kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? More comfortable ergos will more than likely make the bike perform worse and performance is the main aspect of sportbikes is it not?
True. But it's up to each person to decide what they want from motorcycling isn't it? Does what I like have to meet the approval of others? Does it have to make sense to others?

I don't know what other people look for in a motorcycle but I go for what I like. I don't really care about what other people have or like. For me I like sportsbikes. What I should probably like is standards, but I don't. Can I get the best out of a sportsbike? Nope, not even close. But I enjoy the way they look, sound and it's what makes me smile. Think what you will but that's me.

So that's the basis for my question to MO, who has way more resources than me, is if they would be open to including more info on improving the ergos of sportsbikes.

It's not like ergos aren't included in the reviews. It's not the number one priority but it is there. If the ergos of the winning bike were fantastically better than the runner up it would definitely be mentioned wouldn't it?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #45
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
True. But it's up to each person to decide what they want from motorcycling isn't it? Does what I like have to meet the approval of others? Does it have to make sense to others?

I don't know what other people look for in a motorcycle but I go for what I like. I don't really care about what other people have or like. For me I like sportsbikes. What I should probably like is standards, but I don't. Can I get the best out of a sportsbike? Nope, not even close. But I enjoy the way they look, sound and it's what makes me smile. Think what you will but that's me.

So that's the basis for my question to MO, who has way more resources than me, is if they would be open to including more info on improving the ergos of sportsbikes.

It's not like ergos aren't included in the reviews. It's not the number one priority but it is there. If the ergos of the winning bike were fantastically better than the runner up it would definitely be mentioned wouldn't it?
The only slight problem with your original suggestion is that MO, like most other publications, only gets bikes as loaners to test and then the bikes are returned. Some of the very wealthy publications can afford to buy bikes and mod them, or they have so much readership that the companies may give them a bike for a long term test, etc. MO isn't in that class.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #46
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The only slight problem with your original suggestion is that MO, like most other publications, only gets bikes as loaners to test and then the bikes are returned. Some of the very wealthy publications can afford to buy bikes and mod them, or they have so much readership that the companies may give them a bike for a long term test, etc. MO isn't in that class.
Dude, Hobos have more resources than MO.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #47
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Dude, Hobos have more resources than MO.
Not after you blow through town.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #48
fireworks12
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, I can see how that is an issue! Maybe they could get some readers involved.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #49
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Duke and company,

Enjoyed the review, especially the video with commentary. Text is great for the details but the video adds a much welcomed dimension to the reviews.

With respect to the reviews would you consider looking into how to make these bikes more comfortable? Not the whole fleet of supersports, but perhaps the winner(s) and select other ones per year or model change?

The reason I ask is that I lust after sports bikes but they're starting to really kill me in the ergos; especially commuting. Cruisers don't do it for me and I'm neutral on the standards/nakeds.

A few years ago Performance Bikes had an author (Kar Lee?) who had modified an R1 for more sport touring duties. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Nothing too crazy, maybe try out some helibars, lower the pegs and get post the staffs opinions of the changes? Again not with every bikes just the winners and select others.
I actually think this is a worthy story idea. We're talking degrees of comfort here, and slightly taller bars or a slightly thicker seat can make a supersport quite a bit more tolerable for weekend sport-touring.

And comfort is in the eye of the beholder: My 55-yr-old friend sport-tours on a Gixxer 1000, often with his wife on back.

The problem of doing this story for MO is that few ppl will be searching the net for it. The owner of the site wants bike reviews, bike reviews, bike reviews, as that's what ppl do the most searching for. That leaves no time for us to do feaure-y stories like the one proposed above. Sorry!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #50
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Not after you blow through town.
"......And in KC, I got this pair of trousers and bundle of rags, in Omaha I got this shopping-cart-grill............"
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote