Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #31
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrosten View Post
I've also had an SV650 and SV650S, and the S model buzzed more in the clipons than I ever noticed in the tube bar naked, but the vtwin is a different frequency there again...less obnoxious, even if the same grip vibration-location-displacement (wha..?). So there again, I know aftermarket damping modifications can be done to a limited degree.
In my experience, the lower bars of the SV650S transmit more vibes to the rider because of the extra pressure on a rider's wrists. A rider can have a more relaxed grip on the regular handlebar on the non-S, minimizing the effect of the vibration perceived by the rider.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #32
ericrosten
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
In my experience, the lower bars of the SV650S transmit more vibes to the rider because of the extra pressure on a rider's wrists. A rider can have a more relaxed grip on the regular handlebar on the non-S, minimizing the effect of the vibration perceived by the rider.
Yes that's true. I can't remember if the tube bar on the N is rubber mounted or not. I've read that the tube bars act much like a musical wind instrument, passing vibration frequencies down that tube like a trumpet. Silicone, BB's, Barsnake, or whatever probably stops some of that, plus bar weights do wonders.

Ah, if there wasn't such an obsession of getting every last molecule of inertia removed from these machines, a shaft or two would make them glassy. But then again, people pay for vibration....think Harley.
ericrosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #33
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrosten View Post
Yes that's true. I can't remember if the tube bar on the N is rubber mounted or not. I've read that the tube bars act much like a musical wind instrument, passing vibration frequencies down that tube like a trumpet. Silicone, BB's, Barsnake, or whatever probably stops some of that, plus bar weights do wonders.

Ah, if there wasn't such an obsession of getting every last molecule of inertia removed from these machines, a shaft or two would make them glassy. But then again, people pay for vibration....think Harley.

The last few HD's I've ridden either dont' vibrate at speed or vibrate a hell of a lot less than my Concours.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #34
fireworks12
Registered Member

Duke and company,

Enjoyed the review, especially the video with commentary. Text is great for the details but the video adds a much welcomed dimension to the reviews.

With respect to the reviews would you consider looking into how to make these bikes more comfortable? Not the whole fleet of supersports, but perhaps the winner(s) and select other ones per year or model change?

The reason I ask is that I lust after sports bikes but they're starting to really kill me in the ergos; especially commuting. Cruisers don't do it for me and I'm neutral on the standards/nakeds.

A few years ago Performance Bikes had an author (Kar Lee?) who had modified an R1 for more sport touring duties. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Nothing too crazy, maybe try out some helibars, lower the pegs and get post the staffs opinions of the changes? Again not with every bikes just the winners and select others.
fireworks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #35
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireworks12 View Post
Duke and company,

Enjoyed the review, especially the video with commentary. Text is great for the details but the video adds a much welcomed dimension to the reviews.

With respect to the reviews would you consider looking into how to make these bikes more comfortable? Not the whole fleet of supersports, but perhaps the winner(s) and select other ones per year or model change?

The reason I ask is that I lust after sports bikes but they're starting to really kill me in the ergos; especially commuting. Cruisers don't do it for me and I'm neutral on the standards/nakeds.

A few years ago Performance Bikes had an author (Kar Lee?) who had modified an R1 for more sport touring duties. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Nothing too crazy, maybe try out some helibars, lower the pegs and get post the staffs opinions of the changes? Again not with every bikes just the winners and select others.

Sooo...he traded his R1 for an FZ1?

Most people don't buy sport bikes for touring, and if they do they know of the trade offs associated with doing so.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #36
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post

Most people don't buy sport bikes for touring, and if they do they know of the trade offs associated with doing so.
I love when people buy a screwdriver and spend lots of time and money making into a hammer. Just buy a hammer.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #37
fireworks12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post

Nooo he modified the R1 to fit better with what he wanted to do. Take it up with him if you don't like his decisions.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #38
fireworks12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I love when people buy a screwdriver and spend lots of time and money making into a hammer. Just buy a hammer.
I love it when people think their their opinion is the only right opinion and feel that they should share it even when it hasn't been asked for.

The question wasn't whether or not buying a sportbike was a good idea to go touring on.

I asked a question to MO about the possibility of adding some information about improving the ergos on these bikes, and then get some opinions on the changes. It's up to MO to answer the question. If you or anybody else want to comment that's great. I'm sure MO would like to get a feel from the audience about any suggestions.

However, instead of giving your unsolicited opinion on what I or anybody else should be doing with respect to what bike to own, try just posting your thoughts on the idea.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #39
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I love it when people think their their opinion is the only right opinion and feel that they should share it even when it hasn't been asked for."

How much irony can one statement contain? I think you have the record so far. Since nobody asked for your opinion why did you feel the need to share it? I'll post whatever I want to post and whenever I want to post it. As far as I know I don't really need your approval to do that. If you don't like what I said, too bad. My 'point' was that sportbikes ergos suck. Everyone pretty much knows that. It has only been that way for about 20 years or so. Changing ergos significantly on a sportbike can't really be done without ending up with a standard, hence if you want a hammer, then buy a hammer. Simple wins every time.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #40
pushrod
Founding Member

Changing a sportbike to something more comfy strikes me as something akin to buying a (big) bike, then mounting a hack to it (or buying a trike conversion), then towing a trailer.

Seems to me if you wanted a car with no top, you'd just go buy one.

But hey, to each their own!

I'm guessing there is more than one guy in the city delivering pizzas on a Hayabusa.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote