Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   BMW S1000RR U.S. Debut (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/12148-bmw-s1000rr-u-s-debut.html)

Administrator 06-04-2009 02:49 PM

BMW S1000RR U.S. Debut

Original Article:
BMW S1000RR U.S. Debut

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article BMW S1000RR U.S. Debut in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

longride 06-05-2009 06:39 AM

The bike looks nice enough, but it isn't good enough, much like the Triumph tt600 some years back, and back then I had warned that Triumph should not really challenge the Japanese at what they do best.....because they will do it better and cheaper than Triumph could ever dream of doing it. And they did. Anyone remember the Triumph tt600? Didn't think so. Will Triumph try to hit the Japanese OEM's where they live again? Not after that ass whipping. Now I guess BMW wants to learn the same hard lesson the same hard way. Way too many things weigh against the success of this bike, not including the fact they will need to redesign it every 2 years even if it is anywhere near successful. There goes the profits. Any chance this bike will even come near the podium against Japanese machines? Well, lets just say that Ken here at MO has a better chance of joining the John Birch Society than BMW sniffing the podium. So, lose on Sunday and sit in the showrooms on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday anyone? I think it might. I wish them success, but I just don't see how it can happen. Maybe this all sounds pessimistic, but I think realistic is more like it. So good luck BMW......you're going to need all you can get.

seruzawa 06-05-2009 07:54 AM

Jeez

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 215527)
The bike looks nice enough, but it isn't good enough, much like the Triumph tt600 some years back, and back then I had warned that Triumph should not really challenge the Japanese at what they do best.....because they will do it better and cheaper than Triumph could ever dream of doing it. And they did. Anyone remember the Triumph tt600? Didn't think so. Will Triumph try to hit the Japanese OEM's where they live again? Not after that ass whipping. Now I guess BMW wants to learn the same hard lesson the same hard way. Way too many things weigh against the success of this bike, not including the fact they will need to redesign it every 2 years even if it is anywhere near successful. There goes the profits. Any chance this bike will even come near the podium against Japanese machines? Well, lets just say that Ken here at MO has a better chance of joining the John Birch Society than BMW sniffing the podium. So, lose on Sunday and sit in the showrooms on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday anyone? I think it might. I wish them success, but I just don't see how it can happen. Maybe this all sounds pessimistic, but I think realistic is more like it. So good luck BMW......you're going to need all you can get.

Give 'em a break man. You know the squids will be lining up like they lined for the the Buells.......

Buzglyd 06-05-2009 08:05 AM

Not that I'm complaining, but why are the Ducati bikini girls featured in the BMW article?

I could barely concentrate on the bike.

longride 06-05-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 215539)
Give 'em a break man. You know the squids will be lining up like they lined for the the Buells.......

I think you hit the nut right on the head.

obandoj 06-05-2009 08:50 AM

Triumph Daytona

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 215527)

You are mostly right in your prediction, I can not see squids lining up to buy the beemer.
However, do not forget that the 600c.c. in-line 4 Daytona of 2003 won the Junior TT at the isle of Man in the hands of Kiwi Bruce Anstey, and that kind of saved Triumph from completely bombing out. I don't see BMW winning any WSB races any time soon.

12er 06-05-2009 12:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
They had this baby over at the Ducati tent. Only $43k.

Troy on S

Kenneth_Moore 06-05-2009 12:40 PM

Was there a motorcycle in that article? I didn't notice.

12er 06-05-2009 01:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Spies sure had their numbers that weekend. Pic one is half of lap 1 race 1. Pic 2 3/4 lap 1 race 2.

mscuddy 06-05-2009 01:46 PM

That you hardly see any more...

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 215539)

Funny, don't see any Buells anymore. Drove the handivan to Newcombs Ranch last weekend, not one Buell. Kinda sad, I thought mine was the best motorcycle I ever owned, even with all the fuel infeciton issues.

When I rolled out of the van armed with my Olympus 320, everyone disappeard into the bar section. Guess they're afriad of the Newcombs curse, if you have your pic taken with your bike at Newcombs, it was the obit section real soon.

The City X even started leakeing after the last tune up. Now that's class...