Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager/Nomad Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/12073-2009-kawasaki-vulcan-1700-voyager-nomad-review.html)

Administrator 05-29-2009 11:04 AM

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager/Nomad Review

Original Article:
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager/Nomad Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager/Nomad Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Kenneth_Moore 05-29-2009 05:16 PM

Wow, that video was AWESOME!!! I lucked out and got to see it at home with my surround sound and new monitor (instead of at work on my laptop). Can I ask how they did those moving shots? I'm thinking they had a camera on boom, mounted on a truck? However y'all did it, very neat stuff.

The bike sure looks like a 'Glide. Sounds like one too (yay streaming video) Not by accident, I suspect, nothing wrong with that. But the price...I'd say $5 to $10 grand differential. Definitely nothing wrong with that either!

Kevin_Duke 05-29-2009 07:00 PM

Most of the clips were sourced from Kawasaki, but I suspect the boom-type shots you cite were shot from my little digicam while being held in my hand. No secrets while shooting the left side of the bike, but shots from the right side were enabled by cruise control. Anyway, glad you enjoyed them!

Duken4evr 05-29-2009 09:04 PM

The wheelie pic is priceless. Gotta love MO!

I could see getting one of these someday when I am finally all grown up. Not quite there yet though - at this point the FJR/Connie 14 have more appeal for long haul riding. Gimme another 10 years or so...

TatorMan43 05-31-2009 02:56 PM

I liked what I saw now all I gotta do is find 16999$ and I could get me one till then guess I'll have to stick with the ol' 1500

Prof. Krepotkin 06-03-2009 08:01 AM

And best of all, it looks just like a Harley!

But seriously, folks, why wouldn't they built this around the 2050cc mill in the VN2000? It doesn't look like they saved much weight. But they left a ton of torque on the table, about 30 lbs./ft. It still has twin counterbalancers and similar engine configuration to the 2050. OHCs could still have been substituted for pushrods, though why bother, I'm not sure.

Maybe the better question is why has Kawasaki not updated the V2K?

First post. It's good to be here. THanks for having me.

MOKE1K 06-03-2009 08:07 AM

Don't wait to long if you want one cause,..oh never mind it's gone already! Had a customer come in and check it out the day we uncrated it. He came back monday and it was gone. Each dealer is only getting one. Just cant figure out why the Japanese keep making them look like Harleys, one of the reasons I enjoy the Stratoliner.

seruzawa 06-03-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prof. Krepotkin (Post 215346)

But seriously, folks, why wouldn't they built this around the 2050cc mill in the VN2000? It doesn't look like they saved much weight. But they left a ton of torque on the table, about 30 lbs./ft. It still has twin counterbalancers and similar engine configuration to the 2050. OHCs could still have been substituted for pushrods, though why bother, I'm not sure.

Because next year or the year after they can make it an 1800, etc etc.

Welcome.

Buzglyd 06-03-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prof. Krepotkin (Post 215346)

The first one didn't sell worth beans so why should they update it? Update it to what?

sarnali2 06-03-2009 10:26 AM

Well that certainly reflects the culture and heritage of the Japanese motorcycle industry, very aprapo for Kawasaki in particular since they also build ships and barges......