Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #21
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Hey, put some knobbies on it and...ZHAZAM! Dirt-Tourer-Juggernaught.

Since it is one of the most striking examples of form-following-function I'm positive with a good set of knobbies, it's Blackwater material for sure!

Now where to put the route sheet? No matter, the Viceroy makes its own routes.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Mixing wet and dry weights is pointless. Here are wet weights.

Vision: 890 (from a competitor's test)
Ultra: 889 (OEM sourced)
Wing: 895-928 (OEM sourced)
I still fail to see how this proves your statement:

"The Vision is among the lightest big-rid tourers thanks, in part, to its use of aluminum (not steel!) for its frame structure."

So it's 5 lbs lighter than the Wing, and is heavier than the Ultra, and is certainly heavier than the BMW, which was forgotten about, so how does that make it among the lightest anything? It is just as heavy, or heavier than all of them except the Honda. I find it funny that the two heaviest(the Honda and Vision) of the four have that weight saving aluminum frame so they aren't REALLY heavy. It's also a gas that Victory's own site claims a weight of 882 for the Vision DRY, yet oil and a full tank somehow only add 8 lbs? OK. I guess gas and oil are lighter in the Victory than in the other bikes.

Here are the specs I found on the Victory:

2009 Victory Vision 10th Anniversary Specifications and Price - Motorcycle USA

Last edited by longride : 05-28-2009 at 01:18 PM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post

"The Vision is among the lightest big-rid tourers thanks, in part, to its use of aluminum (not steel!) for its frame structure."

So it's 5 lbs lighter than the Wing, and is heavier than the Ultra, and is certainly heavier than the BMW, which was forgotten about, so how does that make it among the lightest anything? It is just as heavy, or heavier than all of them except the Honda. I find it funny that the two heaviest(the Honda and Vision) of the four have that weight saving aluminum frame so they aren't REALLY heavy. It's also a gas that Victory's own site claims a weight of 882 for the Vision DRY, yet oil and a full tank somehow only add 8 lbs? OK. I guess gas and oil are lighter in the Victory than in the other bikes.

Screw it. I say we put some CR500 engines in some DRZ400SM frames and go have a ball trolling for Supersports on the Angeles Crest.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #24
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Screw it. I say we put some CR500 engines in some DRZ400SM frames and go have a ball trolling for Supersports on the Angeles Crest.

HERE HERE!!!
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #25
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I usta do that all the time on a street legal YZ490...heh heh, knobbies and all.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
I usta do that all the time on a street legal YZ490...heh heh, knobbies and all.
Put on some 17" rims and let's go have fun with the literbikes. You know, I'd forgotten that you could get a shtonking quick bike pretty cheaply back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and 2-strokes were king. If the auto engineers work out the emissions problems on 2-stroke engines, a real possibility, those days might come back with 300lb bikes making over 100hp. I'm all for it. Bigger is not better.

Last edited by seruzawa : 05-28-2009 at 02:16 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #27
fonzie
Contributing Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Bigger is not better.

Bigger is better wehn you realize that you need two cakes on your birthday to hold all the candles! But dreaming is fun too!

I'll take a goldwing with chap warmers and a motard stuffed in the trunk any day!
Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #28
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:

I had two points:
1. You had weight figures that weren't accurate or directly comparable.
2. Singling out the Vision for being too heavy is misguided, as it doesn't really weigh any more than its competitors. Plus, it has more features (and more power) than the Harley, which naturally add up to more weight.

If you want all the doo-dads and hee-haws and farkles on a big touring bike, it's going to weigh a lot - no matter who manufactures it. If you don't want a heavy bike, don't expect to be happy shopping in the luxo-touring segment.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I had two points:
1. You had weight figures that weren't accurate or directly comparable.
2. Singling out the Vision for being too heavy is misguided, as it doesn't really weigh any more than its competitors. Plus, it has more features (and more power) than the Harley, which naturally add up to more weight.

If you want all the doo-dads and hee-haws and farkles on a big touring bike, it's going to weigh a lot - no matter who manufactures it. If you don't want a heavy bike, don't expect to be happy shopping in the luxo-touring segment.
Your 'point' that I addressed was your quote that the Victory was 'among the lightest of the big-rig tourers'. The fact remains that it isn't among the lightest, and in fact is heavier than most of them. I never singled out anything about the Victory. I did single out your 'point', which was incorrect. My weight figures were plenty accurate. They just weren't 'your' figures, which still proved the Victory was heavier than the rest. I'm not sure why you even said what you did.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #30
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Your 'point' that I addressed was your quote that the Victory was 'among the lightest of the big-rig tourers'. The fact remains that it isn't among the lightest, and in fact is heavier than most of them. I never singled out anything about the Victory. I did single out your 'point', which was incorrect. My weight figures were plenty accurate. They just weren't 'your' figures, which still proved the Victory was heavier than the rest. I'm not sure why you even said what you did.
Other than the Beemer, they all weigh within a percent or two. You were bagging on the Vision's weight. I believed that to be unfair.

Last edited by Kevin_Duke : 06-01-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote