Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
toddup
Registered Member

Default Harley questions

I am looking from advice from people who have bought bikes from Harley dealerships. I am new to Harley's and am looking at purchasing a Nightster and am evaluation whether to buy new or used. the questions i have are:

can you treat these guys as you would a car dealership, meaning are you able to negotiate the price as you would be able to with normal car dealerships?

why do they offer a maintenance agreement and a warranty for the bike, and is the maintenance agreement worth getting on a new bike?

Is there a good period of time to purchase like towards the end of the year, beginning, etc...?

thanks
toddup is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I've purchased two new bikes from Harley dealers, one in 1976, and one in 2005.

The 1976 XLCH was bought at a pre-set price through the Navy Federal Credit Union at $2,800.00. So I didn't have to haggle or anything like that...

The 2005 Buell XB9SX was listed at $10,000.00, but I got it at an end of the year deal for $8,700.00 at California HD. It was a "hanger queen" that was gathering dust next to the '06 Buells, so that's why I got the deal (also the 06 Buells had improved transmissions, etc.).

Remember, you are the customer with the $$$$, and in this economy I'm sure you can wheedle them down some for the price on that Sportster. Exposing wads of cash doesn't work, since they want to get you on a payment plan most of the time.

Buying it twords the end of the model year tends to make the salesment more open to a deal.

Good luck. That's a nice Sporty you want.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddup View Post
I am looking from advice from people who have bought bikes from Harley dealerships. I am new to Harley's and am looking at purchasing a Nightster and am evaluation whether to buy new or used. the questions i have are:

can you treat these guys as you would a car dealership, meaning are you able to negotiate the price as you would be able to with normal car dealerships?

why do they offer a maintenance agreement and a warranty for the bike, and is the maintenance agreement worth getting on a new bike?

Is there a good period of time to purchase like towards the end of the year, beginning, etc...?

thanks
In 2005 when I sold HDs, the dealer had to sell at MSRP or lose allocation of bikes. The only way to bargain was to negotiate on trade-in value and/or store credit for accessories and such. But, things have changed; if I were you, I'd come right out and ask them if that's still the deal. We had buyers who'd run back and forth from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale to West Palm Beach trying to save a few bucks. They never got more than a couple of hundred off the price for the effort.

Skip the maintenance agreement. It's "found money" for the dealership and pure profit. The stuff that actually breaks isn't covered, and if your HD doesn't break in the first 12 months, it probably isn't going to.

Dealers run on a calendar, the sales people and their managers are trying to make their quota at the end of the month and the end of the quarter. If the sales manager is one bike away from going to the next comission level at the end of the quarter, he may go for a deal that he'd pass on at the start of the quarter.

The Nightster is a very popular model. It will be harder to get a deal on one of those than other bikes, especially used. But get the bike you want!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Yes you need to haggle the price. You can easlity walk out the door with a XL1200 for under the $10k mark. As for Pre Paid Maintenance- or PPM- It's only a value if you rack up miles. It's a great sales point for the finance department and if you look at the savings vs not being in a PPM you you can easily save 30-40% with the PPM.
BUT- you have to be set on traveling at least 5-8k mi annually. If they offer tire replacement in the PPM it's worth it if you can get somewhere in the 10k mi annually area. If you are mechanically inclined and do most of the oil changes and tire changes yourself- then pass. Remember- that the PPM works for you only if you can rack up miles. Otherwise, its like Ken said- it's a money maker for the Finance department.
Since PPM is based on 3 or 4 yr contracts DO NOT PAY FOR IT IN YOUR FINANCE agreement. Pay in cash or on a credit card. If you finance buy the GAP coverage. You're loan will be upside down for at-least 3 yrs if you choose not put money down. It's insurance and you can cancel it when the bike value and the loan value swap places.
Extended service contracts are a bigger money maker than PPM- If you are referring to ESCs then certainly pass. If it doesn't break in the first year it probably won't break at all.
Sales are down 30% in most of the bike market- NOW is a pretty good time to buy. Most sales manages will bend over bachwards to get a bike off the floor. Good luck.