Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Naked Middleweight Comparison (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11994-2009-naked-middleweight-comparison.html)

Administrator 05-21-2009 01:56 PM

2009 Naked Middleweight Comparison
 
Original Article:
2009 Naked Middleweight Comparison

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Naked Middleweight Comparison in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Kenneth_Moore 05-21-2009 03:46 PM

Great review guys, loved the video. Was that Fonzie appearing with Mr. Duke? Loved the location too...I wish we had roads like that in Florida.

Question: does the 90 degree V-Twin offer less vibration than the parallel twin?

Kevin_Duke 05-21-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 214244)
Great review guys, loved the video. Was that Fonzie appearing with Mr. Duke? Loved the location too...I wish we had roads like that in Florida.

Question: does the 90 degree V-Twin offer less vibration than the parallel twin?

Nope, Fonz was hiding on the other side of the lens again.

Typically, a 90-degree Twin has less vibes than a parallel one, and it's a different kind of vibe. But the ER's vibe-reducing add-ons (counterbalancer, rubber mounts) makes it at least as smooth as the Gladiola's.

schizuki 05-21-2009 06:13 PM

So Suzuki, inventor of the Katana, decides to mildly copy the Ducati Monster and call it a Gladius. Sly dogs! What's next, an opposed Twin called the Katzbalger? A triple called the Claymore? Somebody in Marketing has an impish sense of humor.

mscuddy 05-21-2009 07:43 PM

Like that Kawasaki, looks very "Buick Roadmasterish" for some reason...stong like tractor.

acecycleins 05-22-2009 07:39 AM

So Kevin- Did Kawi use all those rubber bushings on the 09 Versys? I believe that the rwhp is about the same. I like the little nekked bike well enough, but I like the Versys more.

Kevin_Duke 05-22-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 214274)
So Kevin- Did Kawi use all those rubber bushings on the 09 Versys? I believe that the rwhp is about the same. I like the little nekked bike well enough, but I like the Versys more.

No mention of changes to the '09 Versys, so I guess it makes due with just the counterbalancer. No worries, tho, as we never found vibration to be an issue on it.

Kenneth_Moore 05-22-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 214274)
So Kevin- Did Kawi use all those rubber bushings on the 09 Versys? I believe that the rwhp is about the same. I like the little nekked bike well enough, but I like the Versys more.

Kirk, the Versys has got to be too small for you. You need a big 'ol bike like a GS1200 or DL1000.

Did you get any bites on your offer to trade the K for an ADV bike?

acecycleins 05-22-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 214313)
Kirk, the Versys has got to be too small for you. You need a big 'ol bike like a GS1200 or DL1000.

Did you get any bites on your offer to trade the K for an ADV bike?

Had a few KLR bites, but nothing worth what the K bike is worth. Still don't know the direction I want to go. I keep looking at the DR650 over the KLR because I really want to play off-road. The KLR you can easily mount panniers and change the springs and shock on- so I'm torn. If I could run across an 80's r100gs that would be swell, but they're pretty hard to find in the southeast.

seruzawa 05-22-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 214321)
Had a few KLR bites, but nothing worth what the K bike is worth. Still don't know the direction I want to go. I keep looking at the DR650 over the KLR because I really want to play off-road. The KLR you can easily mount panniers and change the springs and shock on- so I'm torn. If I could run across an 80's r100gs that would be swell, but they're pretty hard to find in the southeast.

You have which K? The K100? K1100? A friend just sold a K100RT with 50K miles for $3500. They aren't in much demand apparently. Nice bike though. If I didn't already have a comfortable 2-up tourer I would have bought it myself. Although if a smoking deal on an R1100RT came along I'd probably go for it.

Out here R100GSes are demanding top dollar. You might consider what this same BMW fanatic friend of mine did. He had an R1150GS but didn't like the high center of gravity. He sold it and bought an R1100R and put aggressive tires on it, luggage, etc. Now he goes everywhere anyone on a GS would. Well actually he spends a lot more time on dirt roads than 99% of GS owners. Since 99% of them never leave the pavement. And at the cost of a new GS I don't blame them.

That's the downside of spending $18K on a big dualie. You don't dare use it off road. Might scratch it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:30 AM.