Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-03-2009, 04:21 AM   #41
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Glad to help! To repeat something I've said for several years, I could see myself owning an SV650 one day, and I can't recall another bike I can say the same thing about. It's one of the best bikes of all time.
Of course it is - it's everything the HawkGT was - only with a bit-more Power! (and slightly-less cool.......... )

Quote:
And speaking of underpowered bikes, I'll be racing a Buell XB12R in the MotoGT race this weekend at Road America. Wish me luck!
Have Fun Schtormin' Da' Castle!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #42
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
And speaking of underpowered bikes, I'll be racing a Buell XB12R in the MotoGT race this weekend at Road America. Wish me luck!
Good luck and take it to 'em!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #43
ericrosten
Founding Member

Quote:
I believe the SVs have diff frames. Regardless, doing a series of corners on the 650 vs the 1000 will show a huge difference in handling qualities, with the little bike feeling much more nimble and confidence inspiring. If you ride in an area with few curves, one could make a case for the 1000. But the 650 is so tossable that it is a much more grin-inducing bike anywhere you're leaning it over. Plus, I don't find it underpowered. Also, most of the SV1000s sold were the S models, and I prefer the more open ergonomics of the non-S SVs.
Has anyone on here either owned an SVS model or another bike with clipons and have installed "Convertibars"? How was it? Also, what about Laminar Lip? Share your feelings about these products and also your riding style and height. Thanks!
ericrosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:10 AM   #44
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Good luck and take it to 'em!
Fourth in class wasn't bad, but it sounds better than it was...

Multi-part story to come.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #45
jjn
Registered Member

Thanks for the comparisan of there two machines. I have to say that I lean towards the Kawasaki.I'm 56 years old and have ridden motorcycles for some 48 years, and owned 24-25 total. Between the two, I prefer the looks of the ER6N (except for the weird looking headlight area) by a little bit. Here's a couple more reasons: I prefer the simplicity of the single shock on the ER6n. Yeah, it may not be quite as good at doing the job, but it is easily accessible, has no linkage to wear and have to be rebuilt. I don't need total leading edge performance. Next, the ER6N has a "cassette transmission". If the trans has an internal problem, you don't have to split the engine cases for access. You can remove a side cover and remove the entire gear cluster. The Kawasaki, being a vertical twin, only has to have one cam chain tensioner.The SV must have two. That give the SV twice the chances of having a cam chain tensioner problem. Think this is a non issue? Look into tensioner problems on the fine DRZ400S/400SM engines. Many owners are replacing the automatic unit with a manual (check the very informative forum at thumpertalk.com).

Admittedly, these reasons are very practical ones, but nevertheless are valid reasons. I have seen a new 2009 Gladius marked down to $5999, and a new ER6N for $5299. The $500 price difference just reinforces my interest in the ER6N.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
jjn is offline   Reply With Quote