Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #31
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

From someone who has ridden many hundreds of motorcycles, including on racdetracks, I'll take the SV650 over the SV1000 any day.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #32
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
From someone who has ridden many hundreds of motorcycles, including on racdetracks, I'll take the SV650 over the SV1000 any day.
Why is that, Mr. Duke? Seems like you can saw a board shorter, but you can't saw it longer. The bikes have the same frame and stuff, it's pretty much a difference in stroke, bore, and fueling isn't it? You don't have to whack the throttle all the way open in a curve, but you can't make the 650 go as fast in the straight.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:50 AM   #33
ericrosten
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Why is that, Mr. Duke? Seems like you can saw a board shorter, but you can't saw it longer. The bikes have the same frame and stuff, it's pretty much a difference in stroke, bore, and fueling isn't it? You don't have to whack the throttle all the way open in a curve, but you can't make the 650 go as fast in the straight.
...and you can't make the heavier SV1000 goes through a curve like the lighter 650 either. So one can pounce the other through bends, and the other can pounce the one in the straights. Seems Suzuki needs to build an SV800.

Actually the only differences is engine weight, rear swingarm, front forks, rear wheel, and slightly larger frame. Fairings, tank, tail, are the same (don't remember about subframe). All this adds up to more torque and horse, but also slower handling. Since there's no Japanese company putting out a 750-800cc Vtwin (because Italy, Germany, and Austria are too $$$), you either have to like twisties enough to fuss about the freeway, or like the freeway enough to be sub-650-par in the twisties. Maybe Marchesini, brembo, LSL bars, and Ohlins would make the 1000 handle "quick enough," but imagine again what those items would do for a 650, and cost less in the end. I suspect the aftermarket is full enough to turn either one into whatever you want it to be with a little fuss on the freeway or curves, but not the best of both.

So drop the SV1000 motor and tranny into a Duc Monster 1100S and Voila!
ericrosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrosten View Post
...and you can't make the heavier SV1000 goes through a curve like the lighter 650 either. So one can pounce the other through bends, and the other can pounce the one in the straights. Seems Suzuki needs to build an SV800.

Actually the only differences is engine weight, rear swingarm, front forks, rear wheel, and slightly larger frame. Fairings, tank, tail, are the same (don't remember about subframe). All this adds up to more torque and horse, but also slower handling. Since there's no Japanese company putting out a 750-800cc Vtwin (because Italy, Germany, and Austria are too $$$), you either have to like twisties enough to fuss about the freeway, or like the freeway enough to be sub-650-par in the twisties. Maybe Marchesini, brembo, LSL bars, and Ohlins would make the 1000 handle "quick enough," but imagine again what those items would do for a 650, and cost less in the end. I suspect the aftermarket is full enough to turn either one into whatever you want it to be with a little fuss on the freeway or curves, but not the best of both.

So drop the SV1000 motor and tranny into a Duc Monster 1100S and Voila!
Interesting. I know a guy who sold a DL1000 and bought a DL650 for that very reason. He said that the 650 was just fine for him on the fwy. And when you think about it the stock hp of the DL650 is plenty enough for one-up touring.

Where Ken lives there's no need for handling ability.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #35
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Interesting. I know a guy who sold a DL1000 and bought a DL650 for that very reason. He said that the 650 was just fine for him on the fwy. And when you think about it the stock hp of the DL650 is plenty enough for one-up touring.

Where Ken lives there's no need for handling ability.
I say bullshirt. The difference in weight between a DL650 and DL1000 is 46 lbs. Is that really going to make a perceptible difference in handling? Maybe on the track when you're scraping your knee, but not on the street.

We have some very interesting highway interchanges if you want to pull some gee's. And there's that curve in the road down by Deerfield Beach that everybody likes; it's awesome!
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #36
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I say bullshirt. The difference in weight between a DL650 and DL1000 is 46 lbs. Is that really going to make a perceptible difference in handling? Maybe on the track when you're scraping your knee, but not on the street.

We have some very interesting highway interchanges if you want to pull some gee's. And there's that curve in the road down by Deerfield Beach that everybody likes; it's awesome!
I always chuckle when I'm in FL and see the guys riding Sportbikes up and down A1A. The tire is totally flat in the center but at least they look squidly!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I say bullshirt. The difference in weight between a DL650 and DL1000 is 46 lbs. Is that really going to make a perceptible difference in handling? Maybe on the track when you're scraping your knee, but not on the street.

We have some very interesting highway interchanges if you want to pull some gee's. And there's that curve in the road down by Deerfield Beach that everybody likes; it's awesome!
Wow! You actually have a curve in a road? Excellent.

All I know is what the DL650 guy told me. It might be that the less flywheel effect contributes also. I guess the only way to really know is to ride them back to back. I have ridden the DL1000 and if I wasn't more interested in the Tiger the DL1000 would definitely be on the short list. If someone only owns one motorcycle it would be hard to find a better choice than the DL.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #38
cloud9
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 124
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
From someone who has ridden many hundreds of motorcycles, including on racdetracks, I'll take the SV650 over the SV1000 any day.
That's makes the sv650 seem even more enticing. Thanks for your input duke.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #39
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Why is that, Mr. Duke? Seems like you can saw a board shorter, but you can't saw it longer. The bikes have the same frame and stuff, it's pretty much a difference in stroke, bore, and fueling isn't it? You don't have to whack the throttle all the way open in a curve, but you can't make the 650 go as fast in the straight.
I believe the SVs have diff frames. Regardless, doing a series of corners on the 650 vs the 1000 will show a huge difference in handling qualities, with the little bike feeling much more nimble and confidence inspiring. If you ride in an area with few curves, one could make a case for the 1000. But the 650 is so tossable that it is a much more grin-inducing bike anywhere you're leaning it over. Plus, I don't find it underpowered. Also, most of the SV1000s sold were the S models, and I prefer the more open ergonomics of the non-S SVs.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #40
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
That's makes the sv650 seem even more enticing. Thanks for your input duke.
Glad to help! To repeat something I've said for several years, I could see myself owning an SV650 one day, and I can't recall another bike I can say the same thing about. It's one of the best bikes of all time.

And speaking of underpowered bikes, I'll be racing a Buell XB12R in the MotoGT race this weekend at Road America. Wish me luck!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off