Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Triumph Thunderbird Designer (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11941-2010-triumph-thunderbird-designer.html)

Administrator 05-18-2009 09:44 AM

2010 Triumph Thunderbird Designer

Original Article:
2010 Triumph Thunderbird Designer

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Triumph Thunderbird Designer in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

anrajala 05-18-2009 12:51 PM

>This midrange was seen as a large segment in the market.

There you go: 1600 cc is now officially midrange.

The world's largest manufacturer of midrange cruisers has to go to the drawing board. Its about the time. I have been raving about this for years.

- cruiz-euro

mscuddy 05-18-2009 12:55 PM

Gee, looks like a Harley from the seat/tank up. How'd that happen? Not enough Pounds Sterling in the old crock pot?

12er 05-18-2009 01:00 PM

Uh oh, dont let LR read this as the designer was also responsible for the Rune...

pushrod 05-18-2009 01:04 PM

Well, still without seeing one in the paint, I'll say again that it looks like a Harley FXR with a Bonnie engine.

Except for that huge hunk of chrome on the right side.

Please, please, please - no visible weld seam on the bottom of the tank! That's so cheesy!

Kevin_Duke 05-18-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 213822)
Well, still without seeing one in the paint, I'll say again that it looks like a Harley FXR with a Bonnie engine.

Except for that huge hunk of chrome on the right side.

Please, please, please - no visible weld seam on the bottom of the tank! That's so cheesy!

Good eye, as the Dyna Super Glide Custom was one of the main targets for Triumph.

And no visible weld seams on its tank!

pushrod 05-18-2009 01:45 PM

Great! I guess they caught enough grief from the Bonnie folks about the tanks!

Good to see you got back from "Barth-alona" safely.

I'm waiting with baited breath (just had some sardines) for the article...

Maybe that enormous scratch-magnet on the starboard side is his 'homage' to the Rune. Yick!

Kenneth_Moore 05-18-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 213819)
Gee, looks like a Harley from the seat/tank up. How'd that happen? Not enough Pounds Sterling in the old crock pot?

Not to mention the left side primary cover. It's even got the "derby" cover!

mscuddy 05-18-2009 03:20 PM

Yeah Ken, old designs like the seminal "derbi cover" somehow made its way (evidently) into another species entirely!

It is this way because:
#1: The designer has really bad taste
#2: There's a reason for that "derbi cover to open, maybe too adjust the clutch, or to hide dope/money, folded spare underware. Loose change. A cupholder. Ipod recharger & usb port for play station.

The possibilties are endless.

longride 05-18-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 213821)
Uh oh, dont let LR read this as the designer was also responsible for the Rune...

I already saw it. I wonder how he lived that down. I saw one at the Cycle World show. Brand new 2004 for 15 grand, and they STILL can't sell the POS!