Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Tennessee Motorcycle Travel Destinations (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11915-tennessee-motorcycle-travel-destinations.html)

Administrator 05-15-2009 09:27 AM

Tennessee Motorcycle Travel Destinations

Original Article:
Tennessee Motorcycle Travel Destinations

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Tennessee Motorcycle Travel Destinations in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

oldhack62 01-07-2011 08:19 PM

Thanks for the enthusiastic and accurate story extolling Tennessee's great roadways and biking theaters.
However, I found a couple of inferential nits to pick:
  • While it's true that Murfreesboro lost out on becoming the state's permanent state capital to Nashville, it DID otherwise serve as Tennessee's capital city from 1818-1826;
  • While Bristol might (almost!) be a day trip from any part of Tennessee, you won't get back during the same day! From the SW corner (Memphis) to the NE point (Appalachia), Tennessee is more than 500 miles long. By roadway, Memphis-Bristol is virtually ALL of that, so a very long day...
Again, thanks for highlighting an oft-overlooked (to riders' detriment) biking locale.

Jeff Cobb 01-08-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldhack62 (Post 254337)
Thanks for the enthusiastic and accurate story extolling Tennessee's great roadways and biking theaters.
However, I found a couple of inferential nits to pick:
  • While it's true that Murfreesboro lost out on becoming the state's permanent state capital to Nashville, it DID otherwise serve as Tennessee's capital city from 1818-1826;
  • While Bristol might (almost!) be a day trip from any part of Tennessee, you won't get back during the same day! From the SW corner (Memphis) to the NE point (Appalachia), Tennessee is more than 500 miles long. By roadway, Memphis-Bristol is virtually ALL of that, so a very long day...
Again, thanks for highlighting an oft-overlooked (to riders' detriment) biking locale.

You're welcome, and thanks for your info. Sorry I missed that about Murfreesboro, and you're right, it is a long state. Tennessee is a fine place to travel, and I like the people I've met there too. I've been back twice since writing this, and hope to return for more.

See: riding with R1 forum riders at Deals Gap

acecycleins 01-08-2011 12:46 PM

Jeff- you did the tour? Wish I had known. I can be in Deals Gap in 3 hrs from my house and that's running GA Hwy 9 to Blood Mtn and up US129. There are faster ways, but this is the most entertaining. Deals is fun, but since TN Troopers are everywhere I find Cherohala Skyway a much more pleasent run and the sweepers can be had far above the posted speed limit. Troopers are nearly as bad on that roadway. If you ever dip into GA and do a related story let me know and my legions of motorcycle insurance customers and myself will show you some interesting roads. The Loop won't disappoint. Anyway, nice write up.

jmdonald 01-08-2011 01:28 PM

Keep Them Coming

My cousins lived in Falls Mill when I was growing up and we rode the local roads there.Tennessee is a beautiful place.Keep these Travel articles coming they are well done and highly enjoyable.

Jeff Cobb 01-08-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 254351)
Jeff- you did the tour? Wish I had known. I can be in Deals Gap in 3 hrs from my house and that's running GA Hwy 9 to Blood Mtn and up US129. There are faster ways, but this is the most entertaining. Deals is fun, but since TN Troopers are everywhere I find Cherohala Skyway a much more pleasent run and the sweepers can be had far above the posted speed limit. Troopers are nearly as bad on that roadway. If you ever dip into GA and do a related story let me know and my legions of motorcycle insurance customers and myself will show you some interesting roads. The Loop won't disappoint. Anyway, nice write up.

That was this summer Ace. I wrote the travel article more than a year prior. Yamaha flew me out to the R1/R6 forum event this year because the R1 forum now has something like 150,000 members, and the R6 forum is big too. It's on their marketing radar now, to be sure.

We rode with Shane McCoy (who founded the forums before selling them to VerticalScope a few yrs. ago) all the way to his family members' big powersports dealer in GA, and rode back via twisty roads with Chuck Graves and some of his friends. We traversed Blood Mtn. back to Deals Gap. Chuck is one fast rider, let me tell you. So are some of his friends.

Fortunately, we avoided LEOs.

I love that area, and you're right, lots of roads other than the famous Dragon. We did ride 55 miles up and back on Cherohala Skwy.

It's a terrific part of the country. Next time I'll let you know I'm heading that way – if I get the chance to go again, that is.

UncleErnie 01-08-2011 01:53 PM

Nothing like some publicity to ruin a good road.
Keep sending them to Deal's Gap and The Blue Ridge Parkway.