Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
guyd78
Registered Member

Default Give me some ideas....and hello!

First time poster.

Looking for some suggestions in regards to my next purchase. A little history:

I had a Honda CB250 and a Honda CB500 years back, but had to sell both for whatever reason. Briefly rode my g-pa's 1500 Goldwing around town with my wife, which was way bigger than I want. Currently, I have a small 250 scooter, and I need more bike under my wife and I - clearly.

I live in a large city and find most of my use is on the freeway/interstate with the occasional congested traffic experience. I live in south Texas and ride 12 months out of the year nearly every day. Back and forth to work (15 miles round trip), grocery runs, over to see family, and all the above. I'm 160lbs. and only 5'8", and my wife is 130lbs., and when we travel we travel light. Only a coule of small school-sized backpacks each.

We would like get a motorcycle that we could start travelling comfortably out-of-state with (once or twice a year), while continuing to have something to meet our everyday needs. Budget this year would be less than $3,000, and next year less than $6-8,000. I can only have one bike though, so the scoot must go. In other words, I can't keep it as a "backup". I also don't mind how old the bike is as long as it is dependable.

So, here's what I'm wanting in order of importance:

1. 1,100cc?? 750 may be too small for the out-of-state trips??
2. Dryweight would ideally be less than 525-550 lbs.
3. Seat height needs to be 30" or less (most sport touring and crossovers are out)
4. Fuel injection
5. Liquid cooled

I like the look of the older Viragos, and I think (IMO) most bikes today have way more bulk than necessary. I like the functionality of a smaller bike in the "big city" traffic, and for quick errands that I do a lot of.

I suppose my problem lies in that I like the older style bikes and their simplicity/size/price over the bikes of today with the extra bulkiness that they tend to have. However, I think I would probably want the fuel injection and liquid cooling of today's bikes.

Decisions decisions.

Sorry about the long post. Just trying to give you as much info. as possible in hopes that someone has some good suggestions for bikes that would meet my needs.

Thanks!
guyd78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If you go with next year's budget, get a Suzuki 1200 Bandit. I'm not sure about the seat height, but it fits all your needs perfectly including the budget. Check em out. Best bargain in motorcycling.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

$3000 is the biggest limiting factor in your list. I would say look at a used Suzuki Bandit 1200S and get it lowered. $6K-$8K gives you a lot more options.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
guyd78
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

I know my budget is limited this year. That is part of the reason I was looking at the older bikes like the Viragos and some others. On the same note, I don't mind an older bike because I prefer the look of most of them compared to the newer bikes. I'm also a pretty frugal person, and I like the idea of a cheaper bike even if it means it's not the best looking thing on the road anymore. My hesitation is the lack of liquid cooling and fuel injection that I've been told is an important consideration in the older bikes. I don't know. I'll look at the Suzuki, and see what others can come up with.

Thanks again.

BTW... Lets not turn this in to a thread dealing with the pros and cons of liquid vs. air cooled. That won't help me much in finding a bike. I know the pros and cons of each, and will have to weigh that in to my decision on what to get and when.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

No a 750 is not "too small". That's just the usual American dumb idea that bigger is always better, this is why they buy .44mags when a .38 is more than enough.

You can find Honda 750 Nighthawks in your price range. That bike will do all the things you want quite well. It's not EFI or water-cooled, but those things aren't really that important for your needs.

Last edited by seruzawa : 05-13-2009 at 08:26 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

Buy a 2003-2004 Suzuki V-strom650. It's the ugly duckling of bikes but stone-cold reliable. Bump your budget by $500 and you see at least 4-5 within 100mi that would be worth the drive to look at. You cover all the bases. Light touring. Great commuting. A little adventure (fire roads) riding. Easy maintenance. Great mileage. Here's yer sign.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Buy a 2003-2004 Suzuki V-strom650. It's the ugly duckling of bikes but stone-cold reliable. Bump your budget by $500 and you see at least 4-5 within 100mi that would be worth the drive to look at. You cover all the bases. Light touring. Great commuting. A little adventure (fire roads) riding. Easy maintenance. Great mileage. Here's yer sign.
And be sure to visit ACE Specialty Insurance for the best possible prices on quality motorcycle insurance! ACE: Motorcyclists insuring motorcyclists. On motorcycles. With motors. And stuff.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
guyd78
Registered Member

I think I looked at the V Strom 650, but the seight height kinda bothered me. My scoot has a 31" seat height, and I'm on my tippi toes already. What's worse is the rear is another 2" higher than that on the scoot. My wife is only 5'4", and she struggles to get on the back. Something with a lower seat height would be best for us I think.

The suzuki bandit I will have to consider. Looks like it's close to what I'm looking for.

seruzawa - I'm thinking your logic may be spot on. 1,100 may be overkill if 750 would suffice for the riding I described for myself. With my frugalness I think less is more most times.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

You might also consider a plain jane SV650. It's lower than the V-Strom. You can add a windshield and soft luggage. 70hp is plenty for two up riding. From what you say you 2 aren't supersized people.

Most of these guys who claim you have to have 100+ horsepower spend too much time at McDonalds and not enough time eating Cheerios. Especially that sarnali2 guy who won't stay away from that terrible fat laden English food.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
No a 750 is not "too small". That's just the usual American dumb idea that bigger is always better, this is why they buy .44mags when a .38 is more than enough.

You can find Honda 750 Nighthawks in your price range. That bike will do all the things you want quite well. It's not EFI or water-cooled, but those things aren't really that important for your needs.
I've a friend who toured all-over the USA and rode to Panama with his Wife & camping-gear on the back of a Yamaha 175 lo, these many years past.

But then, I weigh nearly as much as the two of them combined. And I dont look like Sarnali, tho I've been tryin'............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote