Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Give me some ideas....and hello! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11893-give-me-some-ideas-hello.html)

pushrod 05-28-2009 09:10 AM

Get the 1200. 'Pre-owned', and save some money.

Better power, better resale.

Besides, HD wouldn't offer the 1200 kit if a lot of people didn't buy them, right?

I'm trying to think of the plastic chrome on the Bonnies. I'll have to find a picture. There is one piece of chrome on my Sprint; the fork stem nut.

guyd78 05-28-2009 09:23 AM

I know the rear and front fenders are plastic as well as the side covers, speedo housing, and front/rear turn signal housings. The dry weight is around 100 lbs. less than the Sportster, so that's probably where most of the difference comes from. Like the bike, but when I can spend close to the same money for the sportster, and have less plastic, well.... I would prefer the weight of the harley over the triumph, but that's just me.

I am leaning towards a pre-owned 1,200, and most likely will go that route. Most that I've found have less than 5,000 miles. I tried the Dyna and Softail, while I was there, but too much $$ and even if money wasn't an issue it just seemed like more bike than I want. The sportster just felt right. I suppose I'm glad that I broke down and went in to the HD dealership. Otherwise I wouldn't have considered it. For an all-around all-purpose bike given my needs, riding habits, and what I like in a motorcycle it's at the top of the list for me.

The_AirHawk 05-28-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyd78 (Post 214809)
I know the rear and front fenders are plastic as well as the side covers, speedo housing, and front/rear turn signal housings.

I don't get it: you complain about the BULK of all these bikes, then weight-saving, non-structural plastic parts put you off (on a bike that weighs too-much anyway)?

longride 05-28-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 214812)
I don't get it: you complain about the BULK of all these bikes, then weight-saving, non-structural plastic parts put you off (on a bike that weighs too-much anyway)?

The trouble comes when the bike with all the plastic parts weighs the same or more than the one with the steel parts.

guyd78 05-28-2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 214814)
The trouble comes when the bike with all the plastic parts weighs the same or more than the one with the steel parts.

Yes. The non-harley dealers and I had the same discussion. A lot of the bikes I looked at are made to look bigger now so that someone can get a 750-1100cc bike and feel/look like they are on an 1,800-2,000cc bike. Of course that's not the only reason, but it is one reason. I want something in that range that doesn't have that extra "bulkiness" we were talking about, and that led me to the Bonnies and Sportsters. The weight wasn't bothering me as much as the overall physical - I guess measurements - of the bike. Sure weight is an issue, but the unecessarily large look of those bikes wasn't what I'm after. I hope that makes sense. The Bonnies and Sportsters are more slimmed down (weight not considered) than the others I looked at. Difference in styling I suppose.

The_AirHawk 05-28-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyd78 (Post 214819)
Sure weight is an issue, but the unecessarily large look of those bikes wasn't what I'm after. I hope that makes sense. The Bonnies and Sportsters are more slimmed down (weight not considered) than the others I looked at. Difference in styling I suppose.

I see. Makes a bit more sense to me.

seruzawa 05-28-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyd78 (Post 214819)
Yes. The non-harley dealers and I had the same discussion. A lot of the bikes I looked at are made to look bigger now so that someone can get a 750-1100cc bike and feel/look like they are on an 1,800-2,000cc bike. Of course that's not the only reason, but it is one reason. I want something in that range that doesn't have that extra "bulkiness" we were talking about, and that led me to the Bonnies and Sportsters. The weight wasn't bothering me as much as the overall physical - I guess measurements - of the bike. Sure weight is an issue, but the unecessarily large look of those bikes wasn't what I'm after. I hope that makes sense. The Bonnies and Sportsters are more slimmed down (weight not considered) than the others I looked at. Difference in styling I suppose.

Good point. There are a couple of 800cc Suzuki cruisers in the parking lot today. One is the older Marauder and the other is one of the newer Boulevards. The Boulevard looks huge compared to the Marauder like it's trying to be a Vulcan 2000. I have nothing against cruisers, but I don't follow them much. It's surprising to see how much the physical size of these things has expanded in the last couple of years.

With just about every model of bike seeming to get heavier and/or bigger each year I'm wondering if it's something in the air? A new food additive? Why would someone want a 3 foot wide motorcycle anyhow?

newagetwotone 05-28-2009 05:43 PM

But the Bonnie T100 is so much cooler....

guyd78 05-29-2009 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 214895)
But the Bonnie T100 is so much cooler....

Yep. It is a pretty sweet looking bike and always has been IMO. I'm liking the steel components that the sportster offers. Hopefully I'll be on one soon.

Based on all the reviews I've read the sportster hasn't really had any issues next to the comfort level compared to other bikes. About the only complaint I find, besides comfort, is the 883 being underpowered. That's why I'll end up going with the 1200. Not too much, not too little. Should be a pretty reliable ride.

Thanks, by the way, to everyone who has had suggestions and advice for me.