Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #31
guyd78
Registered Member

I have (for now) narrowed it down to three different bikes. Different in style, but I think any might do. Not thinking of price right now, I wonder what you think would best suit me given my riding style and needs as per my first post? Do I need to be made aware of possible problems with any of these models? I might try to get in to the dealership this weekend, and give each of these a go-around - new and/or used.

Triumph Bonnie SE 865 (new '09 EFI model)
Suzuki Bandit SV650 ('07 and newer)
Kawi Vulcan 900 ('06 and newer)

Thanks.
guyd78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #32
newagetwotone
Registered Member

http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/adventure/XB12XT/

No? I've heard GREAT Things about the passenger seat on them. and the seat height is 30.7" AND it comes with all three bags....

Oh, btw, there is a lower seat you can buy that drops the seat height to ~29.2

Last edited by newagetwotone : 05-14-2009 at 05:12 PM.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #33
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyd78 View Post
I have (for now) narrowed it down to three different bikes. Different in style, but I think any might do. Not thinking of price right now, I wonder what you think would best suit me given my riding style and needs as per my first post? Do I need to be made aware of possible problems with any of these models? I might try to get in to the dealership this weekend, and give each of these a go-around - new and/or used.

Thanks.
Well, your first post had this:

"We would like get a motorcycle that we could start travelling comfortably out-of-state with (once or twice a year), while continuing to have something to meet our everyday needs. Budget this year would be less than $3,000, and next year less than $6-8,000. I can only have one bike though, so the scoot must go. In other words, I can't keep it as a "backup". I also don't mind how old the bike is as long as it is dependable."

None of the bikes you've listed (at least as new as you have there) are anywhere near $3000. All are probably twice that.

You may be able to find one of them, maybe a 2002 - 2004 model, for $3000 - $4000. But you'll need luck.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #34
guyd78
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post

None of the bikes you've listed (at least as new as you have there) are anywhere near $3000. All are probably twice that.
Thus the reason I put "Not thinking of price right now" in my last post. I know that these three bikes are above $3,000, believe me I've done the research, but I may be able to figure something out before next year to have more funds available. These three bikes are in the $6-8K range, or will be soon, which is still within my scope of consideration referencing my first post.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:18 AM   #35
motonaut
Registered Member

That changes everything. The msrp on a brand new Yamaha v star 950 is 8000.00 I doubt you would have to pay that, and if you wait till next year a left over is thousands less. Happy hunting it looks like your having fun! One more thing the Feb issue of Cycle World Has their top 10 used bike buys under 3000.00

Last edited by motonaut : 05-15-2009 at 06:53 AM.
motonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #36
newagetwotone
Registered Member

A year or two old XB12Xt is about that much too, for that matter, so are alot of bikes.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #37
12er
Founding Member

Remember Corbin or Sargent are always an option for a new seat. Made a world of difference with my Wife. My Sargent seat is night and day over the stocker and she was one happy camper with the switch (so am I). So if you really dig the Tbird (or any other bike) take a look at Corbin or Sargents site, see what seats they have to offer and if they can work with you on lowering the seat height a bit or improving the pillon. They arent cheap, but if you can buy used and custom to your liking your already ahead money wise.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #38
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyd78 View Post

Thanks.
As pointed out previously, none of the above bikes is within the original price range. Having said that, the Bonnie has the cool factor that none of the other bikes mentioned have. The new Vulcan 900's are decent looking.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:57 AM   #39
guyd78
Registered Member

UPDATE: (fwiw)

The wife and I spent the past couple of weeks at a bunch of different dealers in our area. We have decided to bite the bullet and get something in the $6,000-$8,000 range now and trade in our scoot to help out a bit.

We sat on, and looked over, a lot of different bikes: Suzuki Boulevard, Suzuki Bandit, Yamaha V-Star, Honda Spirit, V-Strom, Kawi Vulcan, etc... They were all nice bikes, but too large. The engine sizes were ok, but they all seemed to have way too much unnecessary bulk. The "bulkiness" factor really turned us off. We want something that was more trimmed down - more like a standard bike. Comfort wise they were all about the same to us, and my wife really disliked the Bandit, which was too bad. Too cramped for her liking.

After those places we checked out the Triumph dealership. Sat on the Bonneville, and liked it. Liked to styling too. Just what we were looking for. Then we noticed that the fenders, chrome housings on the turn signals and speedo, and some other parts were plastic. Big turn-off to us. I guess we expected more from them.

Then we broke down and went to the dealership we wanted to try to stay away from - Harley. The whole persona and culture is something we didn't really want to become part of. We told ourselves to just look past that, and to look at the bikes for what they are. The sportster fit the bill for us. Very little to no plastic, good overall size and weight, and comfortable enough for us (with the sundowner seat). Test rode the 883 and the 1200, and I have to say it really felt like a well-built bike, and fit us very well. Overall this is now the bike we feel will meet our needs the best. We are going to look at the '07 and newer models in order to get the fuel injection.

We feel good with our selection, especially after taking the time to really look over as many different bikes as we did. It will top-out what we want to spend, but we think we'll be happier in the end.

Our new problem is which one to get - 883 or 1200. Read a bunch of reviews about the differences, and now am more confused. Read that you can do the 883 to 1200 conversion, but we don't want to do a lot of tinkering like that. The 883 was a very smooth ride compared to the 1200 which was more choppy. The 1200 will give us more power on the freeways though. Wife and I weigh a total of 300lbs., and we are leaning towards the 1200, but I miss the smoothness of the 883. We're two-up probably 40% of the time, and we are typically on the freeway and interstates whenever we go anywhere (large-city). We aren't out for excessive power. Just want something we can easily cruise at about 70 on without stressing the engine too much. Hey, coming off of a 250cc scooter anything will probably ride better on the highway. Just when I read a bunch of reviews from people saying to go with the 1200 I read a review from someone who rides two-up on the 883 with no problems and doesn't feel the need for a 1200.

Any thoughts? Any bikes I may have missed looking at?

Thanks as always!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:10 AM   #40
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Sporties are really nice bikes. They are THE bargain of the H-D line. I tested a 1200 just like you rode and my friend got a new 1200 last year and rode it to Sturgis and had no complaints. The thing gets 50+ mpg no matter how fast you go. The 883 would fit your needs, but the 1200 will give you a little more passing power on the highway. Either way, you can't go wrong. I really like the 1200 myself.