Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #21
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I dig some space these days since I'm gettin old. Horsepower isn't much of a concern, but 2 up on a 650 ain't my idea of fun any more. I do miss our little 64 horsepower buddy though. Maybe he's still trying to do rolling burnouts, or maybe he's out shopping for a Rune. Can't tell these days.

Getting old?,...j/k!!!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyd78 View Post
I found a 78 Kawi KZ650 that was kinda tempting. He said it worked great for him on long rides, but with 2up he didn't know. Wonder how something like that would be?
Reliability may be an issue. Breaking down alone sux. Breaking down with a passenger is surely Hell.

Look at a Triumph Thunderbird made from 1998-2001. It's got a very UJM riding position but with Hinckley charm and cool triple sound. They also made the Trident during that time.
You should look at Honda Trans Alps, too. Not to many to be found but good bikes. If you want something off radar look at the Honda PC800.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #23
guyd78
Registered Member

That Thunderbird looks pretty sweet. I like.

So, can the seat be lowered any? Any reason to stay away from the pre '98 models? Is it much better/worse than the Bonnies?
guyd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #24
pushrod
Founding Member

My buddy is maybe 5'6", and he has little trouble on his TBS (T-Bird Sport). He's not flat-footed at stops, but he manages.

Pre-98 engines are fine, but later ones are better.

The T-birds had the 900cc Triple engine. The Bonnies have had a 860-something twin. Go to webBikeworld for good 'biographies' on most any bike you care to look for.

Before you do a Search and get confused, there is little to nothing in common between the older T-birds and the 2010 Thunderbird 1600.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #25
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
That Thunderbird looks pretty sweet. I like.

So, can the seat be lowered any? Any reason to stay away from the pre '98 models? Is it much better/worse than the Bonnies?
The early models were notorious for having bolt heads that rust. It's not a matter of reliability. It's all cosmetic. Check out the warranty recall info for any year you are interested in and when you call the owner make sure they have documents proving the warranty work was done. Like BMW owners, most Triumph guys are "real" riders- don't be affraid of faded paint or high mileage as long as service records can be verified. If the bike was taken care of it is probably worth the investment
Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #26
guyd78
Registered Member

Went and sat on the Thunderbird Sport yesterday. '99 model. Too tall for me. Not comfortable. Also, my wife was not comfortable on the back of it. Not a bad looking bike though.

I'll have to keep looking around. They did have a T100 that was pretty sweet.

Myself, and a guy here in town, are thinking about swapping bikes. He has a SV650 with 22,000 and I have a Kymco People 250 with 6,700. He wants a scooter, and I need a larger bike. Maybe something with that will work out.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #27
pushrod
Founding Member

If you can pull off a swap like that, do it and run before he comes off whatever he's smoking!

The SV is a great bike. I wouldn't think the pillion is any more than 'tolerable' (if that), but the bike is wonderful.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #28
guyd78
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
I wouldn't think the pillion is any more than 'tolerable' (if that), but the bike is wonderful.
Yes, I have a feeling my wife won't like it. She's picky like that. I'm surprised she's lasted this long on the People 250 scooter. She's always back there complaining. I must admit though that I've done my fair share of complaining about the comfort factor as well.

The T100 was fairly comfortable. I thought. Nice low cushioned seat. At 865cc it's just about the right size as well. I'll have to see if I get any more suggestions to consider.

I did sit on the V-Strom. Cool bike, but not for me. Too tall, and it felt way to top heavy. Need something that rides lower.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #29
motonaut
Registered Member

That would the swap of the century! If not you may find a late 90's Kawi ZRX 1100 in your range. Definitely a Virago 1100 early 90's is still a great bike with a lot of go and great handling. That Basic engine is still available in the V star 1100, so it is tried and true to say the least.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #30
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Yes, I have a feeling my wife won't like it. She's picky like that. I'm surprised she's lasted this long on the People 250 scooter. She's always back there complaining. I must admit though that I've done my fair share of complaining about the comfort factor as well.

The T100 was fairly comfortable. I thought. Nice low cushioned seat. At 865cc it's just about the right size as well. I'll have to see if I get any more suggestions to consider.

I did sit on the V-Strom. Cool bike, but not for me. Too tall, and it felt way to top heavy. Need something that rides lower.

Yep!

If you decide to go with a Standard, I think the Bonnies are almost impossible to beat.

Not only is the basic bike a gem; they build several variants of it. T100, America, Scrambler, Thruxton, etc.

Do a Buy or Sell New and Used Motorcycles - CycleTrader.com search. Or, use this site to look through eBay and Craigslist - site mash : : combined classified and auction listings.

You'll be amazed at what's out there.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.