Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Nice looking bike, and the raised bars have got to help. I rode the '08 model for a couple of miles, and I was glad to get off of it.

The 'cafe'' thing has never done anything for me.

Now the Street Triple...

Hooo-wee! Get that bad boy with an Arrow exhaust on it up to 12K with a handful of throttle, and your wallet starts to overheat. I think it's the driver's license igniting.

But then, it's a tiny, high-strung bike. Completely unacceptable among the sophisticated members of this august forum.
I've mentioned before that one of my riding buddies went to Denver and traded a Rockster for a new Street Triple. What a hoot. I told him to never let me ride it again because he'd never get it back.

That bike is superior to anything on the street. Handles better, performs better... you name it. The "R" version must be phenomenal. The handling on the regular ST is top notch already.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I'm not sure of the reliability issue, but spoked wheels need to be trued occasionally where cast do not. Also, if you get a flat with a tubed tire, you need to remove the tire to fix it, where a tubeless can be plugged. Big advantage on the road. I always carry a plug kit and a compressor for any puncture flats I may get. I never used it yet, but I figure that the day I stop carrying it, I'll get a flat.
For a touring bike, I'd always go with cast wheels and tubeless tires.

For this bike, let's face it, you're not gonna get real far from home. Gotta have spokes on this one.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I like spokes myself. They look better and for around town the tube thing doesn't matter much. Plus, if you bend the rim on a pothole, it's a cheap and easy fix.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #24
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I like spokes myself. They look better and for around town the tube thing doesn't matter much. Plus, if you bend the rim on a pothole, it's a cheap and easy fix.

That's about the only advantage, you can knock them back round with a 2 x 4 and a hammer.

The deal breaker for me is tubes, not spokes. If I can run tubless tires on a spoke rim I'm fine with them, they do look nice.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #25
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I don't know where you're getting 12 grand for the Duc. I paid $9400 for mine brand spankin' new. For $800 more, the Duc will hose the Triumph.
Buz, you magnificent bastard, you bought my bike! I'm jonesing for one. Actually, it's $11,500 on the Duc website, so it's good to know I could deal on one if a bag of money fell on me.

Of course, I'd then take my savings and slap some Carrozzerias on it. Not that ghey gold, though.

Ken, good point about the sound. That's worth a couple grand right there.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
Buz, you magnificent bastard, you bought my bike! I'm jonesing for one. Actually, it's $11,500 on the Duc website, so it's good to know I could deal on one if a bag of money fell on me.

Of course, I'd then take my savings and slap some Carrozzerias on it. Not that ghey gold, though.

Ken, good point about the sound. That's worth a couple grand right there.
It's a fun ride. Of course I had to pimp it out a little. I put the Termis and chip on it. (The Termis without the baffles are insanely loud)

I also bought the fancier seat and brushed aluminum chain guard off some dude on ebay. Oh, and dropped a tooth on the front sprocket.

It rips.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
It's a fun ride. Of course I had to pimp it out a little. I put the Termis and chip on it. (The Termis without the baffles are insanely loud)

I also bought the fancier seat and brushed aluminum chain guard off some dude on ebay. Oh, and dropped a tooth on the front sprocket.

It rips.
No it doesn't. It's an old air-cooled V-twin and it is a dead design. And at that price it's cost/performance ratio is just too low. You are having a miserable time on that bike, you just don't know it yet. Better give it to me so I can save you such misery. I'll put it to good use running a generator or something. I promise.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #28
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
No it doesn't. It's an old air-cooled V-twin and it is a dead design. And at that price it's cost/performance ratio is just too low. You are having a miserable time on that bike, you just don't know it yet. Better give it to me so I can save you such misery. I'll put it to good use running a generator or something. I promise.
You don't want that thing - you want a GSXR-750. The KPPI on a Gixxer-three-quarter is 100, I bet the KPPI on the Duc is in the low-60s.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #29
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
The KPPI on a Gixxer-three-quarter is 100, I bet the KPPI on the Duc is in the low-60s.
Oh, shi*, the KPPI!

A buttblast from the past. You're killing me, Airhawk!

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #30
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Wow, those new Triumphs are so cool looking, and that motor, well what can you say, the boys from Hinkley have another winner.