Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

Bwahahaha!

If you are a new rider, a big sportbike, AKA Hayabusa, is not what you need.

Get some experience riding before you go for one of those.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
joecool99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Bwahahaha!

If you are a new rider, a big sportbike, AKA Hayabusa, is not what you need.

Get some experience riding before you go for one of those.
What's that supposed to mean? Did you choke on your stake dinner?
If you would read it, you would know that i INDEED want a smaller elegant sport bike. Never heard of Hayabusa. No idea what they make.
I will prefer japanese strong maker.

What else beside the Ninja 250? Is there something similar with exhaust pipe in a different fashion then on the side? Anything integrated under the fender or under the engine ?
joecool99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:57 AM   #13
SmokeU
Registered Member

Buell Blast!
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #14
acecycleins
Founding Member

Joe- it's the first of about 30 bikes you will own in a lifetime. That is if you stay off a "true" sportbike for the first few years. You need seat time. You need something with manners. You need something to train on. Sportbikes are NONE of these things. Buy a $1500-$2500 bike like the Ninja 250/500 or a used Suzuki SV650. Really! Also, do some research on bikes. Buy a used bike buyers guide and learn the make and models. If you don't know what a 'Busa is then you are ill-prepared for your first bike. My first suggestion is to take the MSF course and decide from there if you think you'll be into the investment. Why did I say investment? Because most a-hole squids that come to this site don't understand the cost associated with ownership. Just because it gets 40+ mpg doesn't mean it's cheap to own. Service is expensive with a bike. 2-3 times what you normally put into your car in a year. So, start your reading and get back with us. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
joecool99
Registered Member

Default service

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Joe- it's the first of about 30 bikes you will own in a lifetime. That is if you stay off a "true" sportbike for the first few years. You need seat time. You need something with manners. You need something to train on. Sportbikes are NONE of these things. Buy a $1500-$2500 bike like the Ninja 250/500 or a used Suzuki SV650. Really! Also, do some research on bikes. Buy a used bike buyers guide and learn the make and models. If you don't know what a 'Busa is then you are ill-prepared for your first bike. My first suggestion is to take the MSF course and decide from there if you think you'll be into the investment. Why did I say investment? Because most a-hole squids that come to this site don't understand the cost associated with ownership. Just because it gets 40+ mpg doesn't mean it's cheap to own. Service is expensive with a bike. 2-3 times what you normally put into your car in a year. So, start your reading and get back with us. Good luck.
Appreciate your isight. But let me say, i don't see myself such a big fan to own 30 bikes in my life time. i've ridden some bikes, from 50cc engines to 900cc. But only for a short try, i'm still a beginner.

You've recommended the Kawasaki Ninja 250 also, i'm looking into that one - 2008 model for about $3500. I'm european, so i'm not familiar with US bike makers. Doesn't mean i need to know every company out-there if i want a bike. I would anyway want a japanese maker.

What surprised me though is the costs. Why is service that expensive ? I don't intend to go racing with it, i want it as a daily commuter bike, or take me places. Do you ride yours hard that you service that much ?
joecool99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool99 View Post

What surprised me though is the costs. Why is service that expensive ?
Because they can.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #17
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Because they can.
Joe- Seru is right. You need to find a service manual and learn to do as much of the mechanical stuff as possible. The new baby ninja's are great, but mechanically speaking there is little difference between new and old. Pick a used bike and save the money. Also, that "I don't see my self..." statement- WE ALL HAVE SAID THAT. Now look at us old geezers. I'm on my 18th bike in 27yrs. It's a sickness and once you get it there in NO cure. You'll bumble about for a few years, but your riding style and taste will change several times over the next decade. There will be points when you own not just one bike but three or four within a insurance policy period. Happens. Can't explain it, but it will happen to you, too. Since you're in Euro look at a used Honda VFR400, CB600 Hornet, Kawasaki EX250/500 (Ninja), Suzuki GS500, Ducati Monster620 (I think they used to sell a 620ss model, too- not available in the states), Suzuki Bandit 600 or Katana 600, Yamaha FZR400. Don't spend more than $2000 usd on the first bike- WHY?! You'll break it. Happens to all of us. Better to break a $2k bike than a $5k bike. You'll cry less when looking at your mangled bike- trust me. Being in the bike insurance biz I am speaking from experience.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #18
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool99 View Post
What surprised me though is the costs. Why is service that expensive ? I don't intend to go racing with it, i want it as a daily commuter bike, or take me places. Do you ride yours hard that you service that much ?
If your car breaks down, you coast to a stop and wait for help. There are more scenarios I can count where your bike breaks down and you wind up in the hospital or dead. So, you pay a LOT of attention to maintenance, and you never ride a bike that you don't trust completely. I'm not sure about the 2-3 times as expensive as a car number, but the point is valid: maintenance is vital and cannot be safely ignored, unlike most of the maintenance on a car. Tires wear quickly, oil changes are more critical, failures tend to be catastrophic.

If you don't like the "standard" look, that leaves the Ninja 250 or the Blast (good call!). The Hyabusa is a super-fast bigass sport bike. Don't get one of those until you have at least a year riding under your belt.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
If your car breaks down, you coast to a stop and wait for help. There are more scenarios I can count where your bike breaks down and you wind up in the hospital or dead. So, you pay a LOT of attention to maintenance, and you never ride a bike that you don't trust completely. I'm not sure about the 2-3 times as expensive as a car number, but the point is valid: maintenance is vital and cannot be safely ignored, unlike most of the maintenance on a car. Tires wear quickly, oil changes are more critical, failures tend to be catastrophic.

If you don't like the "standard" look, that leaves the Ninja 250 or the Blast (good call!). The Hyabusa is a super-fast bigass sport bike. Don't get one of those until you have at least a year riding under your belt.

Unless you own a tire changer (I don't) it's around $125 for mounting alone. Oil changes are double your car and that's doing it yourself. Valve adjustments and spark plugs and the next thing you know you have $900 into the bike for the season (w/ a set or two of tires).
I don't think I spent $200 in the last year I owned my Camry. And don't even get me started of proper shimming....
Old 05-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #20
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Unless you own a tire changer (I don't) it's around $125 for mounting alone. Oil changes are double your car and that's doing it yourself. Valve adjustments and spark plugs and the next thing you know you have $900 into the bike for the season (w/ a set or two of tires).
I don't think I spent $200 in the last year I owned my Camry. And don't even get me started of proper shimming....

$125 for mounting tires?! OUCH! I'm glad I live in rural MN. It's maybe $40 here.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote