Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Kawasaki KLR650 Project Bike: Part 3

Original Article:
Kawasaki KLR650 Project Bike: Part 3

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Kawasaki KLR650 Project Bike: Part 3 in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Last edited by seruzawa : 05-04-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: fixed link
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Neat story Fonzie, can't wait to get the trip reports! Panama...while you're there, they have this terrific...

But seriously, I'm wondering about the $35 "pre-drill" option. If you're buying their racks and their boxes, seems like they ought to drill the damn holes. And if the pucks are truly required...they ought to build them into the price as well. Powdercoating, sure, why not charge for that? Will you be adding lights to the boxes? Check out AdMore Lighting - About Us a Klazy Ken Recommended Site they may have something to keep the Mexican buses off your butt.

I'll have to see what they have for VStroms. I get most of my stuff from Twisted Throttle...what a great company they are.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 05-04-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
fonzie
Contributing Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I'm wondering about the $35 "pre-drill" option. If you're buying their racks and their boxes, seems like they ought to drill the damn holes. And if the pucks are truly required...they ought to build them into the price as well.
Thanks Kenneth...

I agree with you on the pre-mounting and pucks, however, depending uopn your intended use, you might not need the holes or the pucks. Then you'd have spent money unnecessarily. Some racks mount the luggage differently. When you bring together the SU rack and these boxes, you need these parts versus some other parts to make them work together ... make a little more sense now?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Gee Fonz, nice knowin' ya. In Mexico, if you run across a bandito looking guy in a gold hat, don't stop, or ask to see his badge.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Nice Fonz. Load those bags with ice and some good swill and velcro Cuddy on the back of that thing and ride out here. I'm thirsty!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Thanks Kenneth...

I agree with you on the pre-mounting and pucks, however, depending uopn your intended use, you might not need the holes or the pucks. Then you'd have spent money unnecessarily. Some racks mount the luggage differently. When you bring together the SU rack and these boxes, you need these parts versus some other parts to make them work together ... make a little more sense now?
Puck it.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
tigerowner_ut
Founding Member

What is the deal with buying the pucks separately? The kit purchased for my Tiger included everything. I hope the lid catches have been redesigned since I purchased mine. The catches fatigued and my lid was run over numerous times (but recycled in many projects since). I have to say the HT guys were very good about replacing parts but I highly recommend buying boxes with a hinge on one side or another. The racks are adequately sturdy but I had to bend mine back into place when my bike blew over. As for pre-drilling holes, I did mine my self. Doing your own allows you to position the boxes best for your size and accessory access.

My impression of the HT bags were good but not good enough to do it again. I think the CL-850 soft bags from Nelson-Rigg are the ultimate pannier solution for ~$120.
tigerowner_ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

Got any spaces left on your trip?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
johnwesley
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
But seriously, I'm wondering about the $35 "pre-drill" option. If you're buying their racks and their boxes, seems like they ought to drill the damn holes. And if the pucks are truly required...they ought to build them into the price as well. .
The pucks are included with the kit. Were for my klr. They must have left it out of the box or something. The kitis jsut that, all you need for the mounting. I am glad they don't premount all the boxes I wanted to set mine up once I had it with the bike. I like the boxes mounted high and forward. That keeps the weight more balanced and gives more clearance both off road and for cornering. I have about 30,000 miles on mine and a few crashes they have held up great for me. water proof too, that is more than I can say for the other panniers I have used.

Looking forward to future updates, and to see how the products hold up for you.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

How much for just the mounting sideracks? I can get a pair of 20mm ammo boxes and a can of spray paint at Smith & Edwards for about $25 and they'll look just as good.