Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #21
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Thanks for the support, KM, but Mr. Bird has a point even if his tone sucks. I could've said some things about the Versys. So here I go...

At $7099 MSRP, the Versys has a few desirable features over the ER for the extra $700: Aluminum swingarm, more adjustable suspension, a smoother ride, a windshield and a 5.0-gallon fuel tank. But it has as negatives a tall seat height (for short people) and slightly less power.

I'll guess by Mr. Bird's attitude, he'll vigorously defend his choice of a Versys as best.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #22
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

I got my test ride last night. Neat little bike! The engine is nice and torquey. Felt like lots more low end grunt than my buddies '07 GSXR600. No surprises there. The Kawi didn't feel real planted in sweeping curves at 80mph or so. Personally I'd opt for the Ninja or Versys but my buddy who bought it was very taken with the style and the riding position. He's hoping the lack of wind protection isn't a major issue. This is a second bike for him anyways as he has a Harley decker for highway cruising.
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #23
cuzmikey01
Registered Member

this bike has 72hp not 62
cuzmikey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:13 AM   #24
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Nice first post.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #25
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzmikey01 View Post
this bike has 72hp not 62
Did you measure it? We did!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #26
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Did you measure it? We did!
at the wheel even.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #27
cuzmikey01
Registered Member

i just purchased the bike and the info is on the title supplied by kawi, also there are several other sites that state the same, i;m not saying anybody is right but just somethin you should look into
Old 05-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #28
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzmikey01 View Post
i just purchased the bike and the info is on the title supplied by kawi, also there are several other sites that state the same, i;m not saying anybody is right but just somethin you should look into
Here's a little 411 on power ratings. Manufacturers, when they state a power claim, measure the power on a dyno that is spun by the engine's crankshaft. This is the same as cars.

But a manu's claim is just that - a claim, and it doesn't offer info of how broad a spread of power is offered. So to verify power and to see how and where it is made, we strap a bike on a dyno spun by the bike's rear wheel.

As a bike's power is transferred from a crankshaft, slight amounts of power are lost through the transmission and then the final drive (chain, belt, shaft) and rear tire. Thus, the rear-wheel numbers we use are down from the numbers an OEM claims. Figure a loss of about 10% or so with a chain or belt. Turning a shaft drive requires more power, sometimes near as much as 15%.

Now you can be a know-it-all like the rest of us wankers!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #29
cuzmikey01
Registered Member

Default ok

oh ok thats cool, i appreciate the detailed response, and i will def keep you guys updated on how this bike performs as i accumulate miles
Old 05-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #30
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
at the wheel even.
Exit, smelling like exhaust from the dyno room, Stage Left!