Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   The SEE System: Increasing Your Visibility (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11718-see-system-increasing-your-visibility.html)

Administrator 04-28-2009 05:15 PM

The SEE System: Increasing Your Visibility

Original Article:
The SEE System: Increasing Your Visibility

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article The SEE System: Increasing Your Visibility in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

John B 05-22-2009 02:11 PM

It helps to be seen as well as to see. I wear a lightweight fluorescent yellow jacket over my regular clothing. It also has reflective striping for being seen at night. It beats black leather, any time.

On a poker run, one of the guys at a checkpoint said: "Man, we could see you a mile away!" That is precisely the point. Yet another rider told me he would never be seen in such a jacket. I guess he is more fashion-conscious than he is safety-conscious.

This highly visible jacket beats loud pipes any day when it comes to drawing drivers' attention to my presence.

eagle6 10-31-2009 12:57 PM

In the UK we have an independent organisation, I.A.M.(Institute of Advanced Motorists and Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists).

The sole aim is to increase the standard of riding through local IAM groups who offer advice and training (free) to raise the riders capabilities to a level where they are able to take the Advanced Riding test.

More info here - IAM

johndale 10-31-2009 09:34 PM

On my end I'm using my neon orange jacket especially at night. It's really dangerous if there are big trucks too so I hope some organization in our country will develop a standard rule for wearing these kind of stuff.

Kenneth_Moore 11-02-2009 07:08 AM

Studies show that because motorcycles are much smaller, they may not be “seen” or fully, consciously registered in the minds of other motorists.

And in today’s increasingly dense traffic, even when motorists do see riders, some may not demonstrate sufficient respect for them for one reason or another

And there you have it folks: even if they do see you, they figure you just don't matter.

pushrod 11-02-2009 08:15 AM

Yep.

I have folks pulling in front of my full-size pickup all the time. I guess they are trying to be helpful, reminding me to test my brakes.

I've had a theory that the bikes with multiple headlights are less apt to have this problem that those with only one lamp.

I haven't decided if it's because their approach is easier to process, or if it 'looks funny', and the driver's subconscious takes a bit more effort to determine what it is seeing.

seruzawa 11-02-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 227344)
Studies show that because motorcycles are much smaller, they may not be “seen” or fully, consciously registered in the minds of other motorists.

And in today’s increasingly dense traffic, even when motorists do see riders, some may not demonstrate sufficient respect for them for one reason or another

And there you have it folks: even if they do see you, they figure you just don't matter.

Yes yes, and someone actually had to "study" to figure this out? I hope no real money changed hands for this "study". I'd have told them for a six pack.

longride 11-02-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 227344)

Ding ding! A winner! Hard to see things when you aren't paying attention. If someone can smash into a full sized fire truck with lights and siren going (happened to me 3 times) then that florescent jacket will only make finding the body easier. Wear it if it makes you feel better though.

The_AirHawk 11-02-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 227353)
Ding ding! A winner! Hard to see things when you aren't paying attention. If someone can smash into a full sized fire truck with lights and siren going (happened to me 3 times) then that florescent jacket will only make fiding the body easier. Wear it if it makes you feel better though.

If you'd just been Brave like a Smoke Jumper fighting a raging Forest Fire - none of that would have happened, would it?

longride 11-02-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 227355)
If you'd just been Brave like a Smoke Jumper fighting a raging Forest Fire - none of that would have happened, would it?

Only if I had been doing it for 5 seasons.