Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Literbike Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11685-2009-literbike-shootout.html)

Administrator 04-25-2009 12:31 AM

2009 Literbike Shootout

Original Article:
2009 Literbike Shootout

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Literbike Shootout in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

giganto 04-25-2009 06:01 AM

Yowza..

Welp, seems like the horsepower wars are over.
Wonder which sled woulda posted quickest lap time, with spec bun for all, and all springs fiddled with, to riders content.
Gotta go sob in my java that Yam didnt win,(used to that by now), and face a rare daytime shift- without sleep.
Nice keyboard mashing to all yall.
Ill have one of each.
And Ducat for dessert.

MOKE1K 04-25-2009 06:10 AM

The only thing that seperates these bikes is the rider. The only difference is prefrence.

The_AirHawk 04-25-2009 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 211367)
The only thing that seperates these bikes is the rider. The only difference is prefrence.

You're absolutely correct, Moke. Because it's not what you ride, it's how hard you ride it that counts, and you can't bolt on skill.

Dr_Sprocket 04-25-2009 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 211370)
You're absolutely correct, Moke. Because it's not what you ride, it's how hard you ride it that counts, and you can't bolt on skill.

Feelin' a little rammy today, Hawk?

jmdonald 04-25-2009 08:21 AM

Nice Touch

A nice sidebar with the addition of the Ducati. Sadly my sport bike days are probably over but with well done comparisons like these I can still enjoy them.

Dr_Sprocket 04-25-2009 09:31 AM

Based on the review, the Honda would be the last bike I would consider, just due to ergonomics. The Kawi and Yamaha get my vote for best looking. Suzuki needs to ditch that exhaust. The Ducati is the Bar Refaeli of motorcycles right now: Bar Refaeli - Swimsuit by Beach Bunny Swimwear - 2009 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Photo Gallery - SI.com

Kevin_Duke 04-25-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 211367)

Yep, that's a fact. This was the tightest shootout I've ever done, and a legitimate case could be made for any of these bikes.

I prefer the CBR, and bcuz I'm short, the ergos aren't a problem. But if I was taller or had some sport-touring in mind, the Gixxer would be the choice. The Yamaha is so unique that it has a powerful attraction, and its 146 rwhp never really feels not powerful enough. And the ZX, especially in our bike's color scheme, has an animalistic quality that has a charm of its own - it makes you feel like a bad-ass even if you're not.

Two more items: We had the support at Willow of factory technicians from each manufacturer, so the setups weren't lacking anything - they all worked so well that the speed we were running had more to do with the amount of track time thru the day or the condition of the tires.

Although we didn't log lap times, I'm sure there wasn't much in it. It wasn't uncommon to come off the track on one bike and feel that it could be the winner. Then we'd jump on another bike and feel the same way about that one.

These bikes are so excellent, a literbike consumer could be forgiven for buying whichever bike based on which he/she likes the looks of. Or dealer preference. But there are small distinctions I think we illuminated that will help anyone choose which would work best for them.

I hope this shootout gets a billion hits, cuz it was a monster to get finished so quickly. And I may have to request PayPal deposits to pay off my speeding ticket...

The_AirHawk 04-25-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 211377)

Ah HELL Yeah!

mlynch001 04-25-2009 11:14 AM

Great Bikes, one and all! The R-1 sounds like an RC30, and it should! The Rider will play more of a role in victory and likely few of these bikes actually sold will be ridden at even 95% of capacity!

I don't seem to see the need for a gear position indicator? ? ? If you can ride at the level that these bikes perform, is a gear position indicator really needed? Kind of like a speedometer, moot point on bikes that can break the limit in 1st gear without breaking a sweat!!! I have been riding for over 40 years and over 500K miles and currently own 5 different bikes (one has a gear position indicator) and can say that I do not even look at this feature. Not a make or break feature.

I must say that the 4th place finish for the Yamaha does come as a surprise! I am sure that Yamaha will not be happy with that! I am equally surprised ( and pleased) that the CBR was (again) chosen # 1. My friends say that when I am cut, I bleed little red HONDA "wings"! HONDA quality and all around performance is very difficult to overcome, even with more technology!