Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Road Racing Series – Part Four

Original Article:
Road Racing Series – Part Four

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Road Racing Series – Part Four in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Leathers for tall, skinny dudes (ettes)?

Great write-up. Reading the article makes me want to try a track day.

The only problem I have is that I've looked into leathers for tall, skinny dudes with loooong arms (6'5", 190 lbs, 37-38 sleeve length). Most of the off-the-shelf (OTS) leathers,whether jacket or pants combo, do not have tall sizes. Ones that do have tall sizes don't fit (First Gear) because the sleeve length is not long enough. Does anyone have any suggestion for leathers to try for tall, lanky dudes? Or... do I have to get custom leathers? FWIW, I have never been able to go into a men's clothier to buy a sport coat or suit. I have always had to custom order or wait for the odd-sized to come in (even in the USAF).

I looked into Vansons at one time. If memory serves me correctly, they were $1500. Are there any cheaper options? Or should tall blokes like me stay off of the track? BTW, are there any top-tier racers who are tall (> 6 feet)?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Great write-up. Reading the article makes me want to try a track day.

The only problem I have is that I've looked into leathers for tall, skinny dudes with loooong arms (6'5", 190 lbs, 37-38 sleeve length). Most of the off-the-shelf (OTS) leathers,whether jacket or pants combo, do not have tall sizes. Ones that do have tall sizes don't fit (First Gear) because the sleeve length is not long enough. Does anyone have any suggestion for leathers to try for tall, lanky dudes? Or... do I have to get custom leathers? FWIW, I have never been able to go into a men's clothier to buy a sport coat or suit. I have always had to custom order or wait for the odd-sized to come in (even in the USAF).

I looked into Vansons at one time. If memory serves me correctly, they were $1500. Are there any cheaper options? Or should tall blokes like me stay off of the track? BTW, are there any top-tier racers who are tall (> 6 feet)?
They all seem to be bitter little guys. (Just kidding, MOKE!)
Old 04-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Bitter? Your not good enough to make me feel bitter my internet pal, besides Iam 6'0? Fortunatly Iv been able to order off the rack.
Although at Indy I went out of my way to try a set of Alpinestars on and everthing fit but the legs. Makes me want to order and stick with Dainese, just hate the dark colors they offer.

SYED Leathers β„’
Dr. Their cheapest set is a one piece for 985.00. Only other thing I could suggest is actually figuring out your size then look used.Two peice might be easier to fit? Not sure, Iv always done a 1pc.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I think a trackday is a great experience for anyone who rides on the street mostly everyday. If you have survived this long on the street, than surely a trackday will only enhance your techniques and percision.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 04-21-2009 at 08:10 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Bitter? Your not good enough to make me feel bitter my internet pal, besides Iam 6'0? Fortunatly Iv been able to order off the rack.
Although at Indy I went out of my way to try a set of Alpinestars on and everthing fit but the legs. Makes me want to order and stick with Dainese, just hate the dark colors they offer.

SYED Leathers β„’
Dr. Their cheapest set is a one piece for 985.00. Only other thing I could suggest is actually figuring out your size then look used.Two peice might be easier to fit? Not sure, Iv always done a 1pc.
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out!