Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Road Racing Series – Part Four (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11654-road-racing-series-part-four.html)

Administrator 04-21-2009 02:09 PM

Road Racing Series – Part Four

Original Article:
Road Racing Series – Part Four

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Road Racing Series – Part Four in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Dr_Sprocket 04-21-2009 03:24 PM

Leathers for tall, skinny dudes (ettes)?

Great write-up. Reading the article makes me want to try a track day.

The only problem I have is that I've looked into leathers for tall, skinny dudes with loooong arms (6'5", 190 lbs, 37-38 sleeve length). Most of the off-the-shelf (OTS) leathers,whether jacket or pants combo, do not have tall sizes. Ones that do have tall sizes don't fit (First Gear) because the sleeve length is not long enough. Does anyone have any suggestion for leathers to try for tall, lanky dudes? Or... do I have to get custom leathers? FWIW, I have never been able to go into a men's clothier to buy a sport coat or suit. I have always had to custom order or wait for the odd-sized to come in (even in the USAF).

I looked into Vansons at one time. If memory serves me correctly, they were $1500. Are there any cheaper options? Or should tall blokes like me stay off of the track? BTW, are there any top-tier racers who are tall (> 6 feet)?

seruzawa 04-21-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 211057)
Great write-up. Reading the article makes me want to try a track day.

The only problem I have is that I've looked into leathers for tall, skinny dudes with loooong arms (6'5", 190 lbs, 37-38 sleeve length). Most of the off-the-shelf (OTS) leathers,whether jacket or pants combo, do not have tall sizes. Ones that do have tall sizes don't fit (First Gear) because the sleeve length is not long enough. Does anyone have any suggestion for leathers to try for tall, lanky dudes? Or... do I have to get custom leathers? FWIW, I have never been able to go into a men's clothier to buy a sport coat or suit. I have always had to custom order or wait for the odd-sized to come in (even in the USAF).

I looked into Vansons at one time. If memory serves me correctly, they were $1500. Are there any cheaper options? Or should tall blokes like me stay off of the track? BTW, are there any top-tier racers who are tall (> 6 feet)?

They all seem to be bitter little guys. (Just kidding, MOKE!)

MOKE1K 04-21-2009 06:57 PM

Bitter? Your not good enough to make me feel bitter my internet pal, besides Iam 6'0? Fortunatly Iv been able to order off the rack.
Although at Indy I went out of my way to try a set of Alpinestars on and everthing fit but the legs. Makes me want to order and stick with Dainese, just hate the dark colors they offer.

SYED Leathers ™
Dr. Their cheapest set is a one piece for 985.00. Only other thing I could suggest is actually figuring out your size then look used.Two peice might be easier to fit? Not sure, Iv always done a 1pc.

MOKE1K 04-21-2009 07:05 PM

I think a trackday is a great experience for anyone who rides on the street mostly everyday. If you have survived this long on the street, than surely a trackday will only enhance your techniques and percision.

Dr_Sprocket 04-21-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 211066)
Bitter? Your not good enough to make me feel bitter my internet pal, besides Iam 6'0? Fortunatly Iv been able to order off the rack.
Although at Indy I went out of my way to try a set of Alpinestars on and everthing fit but the legs. Makes me want to order and stick with Dainese, just hate the dark colors they offer.

SYED Leathers ™
Dr. Their cheapest set is a one piece for 985.00. Only other thing I could suggest is actually figuring out your size then look used.Two peice might be easier to fit? Not sure, Iv always done a 1pc.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out!