Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
That 31-inch seat height is too high for a bike that would otherwise appeal to ladies, though. Major mistake there. Could be related to the fuel tank position.

Nitpicks: it's "wringing...the throttle", not "ringing". And "sacrifice" is spelled wrong. And nothing can be "very unique." Sorry, I went to Catholic school. Can't help knuckle-rapping.

Back to the bike - that storage compartment is sweet. This bike's got a pretty tempting combination of practicality and style. Good job, Aprilia.
Yep, the fuel tank location keeps the seat slightly high.

As for your copy edits...

- Yes, we shouldn't be "ringing" a throttle. Oops.
- Sacrifice is indeed spelled incorrectly. Thanks for pointing it out - we'll get that fixed.
- The note about the of "unique" is nit-picking of a very high order. The use of so-called absolute words like unique has evolved through the years. According to Dictionary.com, "By the mid-19th century unique had developed a wider meaning, 'not typical, unusual.'” So, if something can be "very unusual," it can be "very unique."

Thanks for playing!

Last edited by Kevin_Duke : 04-18-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
acecycleins
Founding Member

Ken- The can is a charcoal EPA piece of trash. After the break-in miles most will pull it off and close off the breather nipples (ha, ha- I said nipples. Look, I did it twice). They come on Ducati's, too. Gotta sell them with the can, but once it's in the customers hands we couldn't tell them not to take it off- wink, wink.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
- The note about the of "unique" is nit-picking of a very high order. The use of so-called absolute words like unique has evolved through the years. According to Dictionary.com, "By the mid-19th century unique had developed a wider meaning, 'not typical, unusual.'” So, if something can be "very unusual," it can be "very unique."
Pah. "The evolution of English" is the last refuge of the language-lazy. "Dictionary.com" indeed! It is de-volution, sir.

I say good day to you! Good day!

[spins on heels and takes his leave of this uncultured boor].

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
mugwump58
Registered Member

I've got my 1947 dictionary here next to the key board, yeah what of it. Anyhow English is a dynamic language, like it or not. I happen to hear a portion of the Cantebury Tales recently, in Middle English. I think I got about 1 word in 10 to 12.

But no I'm not happy about the changes, yet that is what keeps it the "important" language. Ask a pilot, a ships captain, ect.....

At dawn then gentlemen?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Ken- The can is a charcoal EPA piece of trash. .
Or just slip another shrimp on the barbie when she warms up a bit.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #16
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump58 View Post
I've got my 1947 dictionary here next to the key board, yeah what of it. Anyhow English is a dynamic language, like it or not. I happen to hear a portion of the Cantebury Tales recently, in Middle English. I think I got about 1 word in 10 to 12.

But no I'm not happy about the changes, yet that is what keeps it the "important" language. Ask a pilot, a ships captain, ect.....
There's change, and there's wrong. I happen to think that "dis" is a perfectly wonderful and useful new word and I hope it makes the transition from slang to standard English. But just because everyone says "whole nuther" doesn't make it OK.

Best language argument I got in was when I was crabbing about people using "literally" when the really mean "figuratively" - as in, "The linebacker literally exploded from his stance." Guy I was arguing with gave me the standard "evolution of the language" nonsense while explaining that using "literally" in that sense was acceptable figurative language. So his argument in a nutshell was that "literally" means "figuratively." That is the type of English up with which I will not put.

"Very unique", indeed. I suppose using "penultimate" for "best" or "last" is acceptable now, as well. Pah. What's wrong with "very unusual" or "very different"? Why turn "unique" into a cheap trollop?

Quote:
At dawn then gentlemen?
My second shall bring my leather bound, gilt-edged Strunk & White. I shall make short work of Kevin's ragged print-out of a "dictionary.com" page.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

What's disconcerting to me, riding any two wheeled vehicle with a torque converter is the lack of compression braking, which you mentioned. As an example of torque-converter equipped bikes, a Rokon would just disconnect and free-wheel, and my Go Devil mini-bike does the same thing. How did they manage to keep any engine braking at all? When the r's drop, the "sprockets" shrink and release the belt?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
There's change, and there's wrong. I happen to think that "dis" is a perfectly wonderful and useful new word and I hope it makes the transition from slang to standard English. But just because everyone says "whole nuther" doesn't make it OK.

Best language argument I got in was when I was crabbing about people using "literally" when the really mean "figuratively" - as in, "The linebacker literally exploded from his stance." Guy I was arguing with gave me the standard "evolution of the language" nonsense while explaining that using "literally" in that sense was acceptable figurative language. So his argument in a nutshell was that "literally" means "figuratively." That is the type of English up with which I will not put.

"Very unique", indeed. I suppose using "penultimate" for "best" or "last" is acceptable now, as well. Pah. What's wrong with "very unusual" or "very different"? Why turn "unique" into a cheap trollop?

My second shall bring my leather bound, gilt-edged Strunk & White. I shall make short work of Kevin's ragged print-out of a "dictionary.com" page.
Yo dawg! Wassup? You done be fightin' a losing battle, homie.

The barbarians are through the gates (well, home grown actually) and running the show now. Trying to enforce understandable language is oppression! Just listen to a news show if you think I'm kidding. Bad grammar on top of the never ending stream of lies and propaganda.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #19
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Pah. "The evolution of English" is the last refuge of the language-lazy. "Dictionary.com" indeed! It is de-volution, sir.

I say good day to you! Good day!

[spins on heels and takes his leave of this uncultured boor].
Doth thou also harbour ill will toward Charles Darwin?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #20
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:

The "literally" thing is one of my pet peeves, and I'll march in front of Websters with you.

However, I do think something could range from mildly unique (say, a Buell) to very unique (say, a Britten). Besides, I didn't write it, I just didn't bother taking the time to edit it!