Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Military Pushing for Rider Safety (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11605-military-pushing-for-rider-safety.html)

Administrator 04-16-2009 02:56 PM

Military Pushing for Rider Safety

Original Article:
Military Pushing for Rider Safety

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Military Pushing for Rider Safety in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

TheFox 04-16-2009 05:10 PM

Bull****, bull****, bull****. All of it is bull****.

I had higher ups take my keys away from me when other guys in my unit -- who I wasn't even with -- got caught pulling wheelies. Then those same guys just used the extra copies they had and rode anyways.

Different unit, different base: I got one speeding ticket in 4 years, which I reported when I got to my new unit. No problem. Somehow it because an issue 5 months down the line when a Master Sergeant got a hair up his ass about motorcycles. He told me he was going to do everything in his power to take my license from me. This is the same moron who said all vehicles should be governed at 60 MPH because there's no reason to go faster.

That's just two examples; I could go on. The primary reason I left the service is because I was made to be a second class citizen because I rode a motorcycle. They made it abundantly clear that should I get a ticket they would do everything in their power to max me out on NJP, which I watched them do to another Marine.

The next week when a Staff Sergeant select got tagged for DUI, it got swept under the rug. It was his 2nd DUI. Un****ingbelievable.

So, kiss my ass. This is a load of horse ****. You know how I know? You're not allowed to operate a motorcycle in the USMC without taking the safety course. However, you must have a motorcycle to take it. Catch-22, natch. Just how they like it.

mugwump58 04-16-2009 05:19 PM

The contractors on FT Drum provide bikes. So do the classes in NY for Guardsman.

So is it true that Marines can use umbrellas?

The next question is: Are you out of uniform if you're walking out of the parking lot with your jacket on? Hmmmmm good way to find the assholes.

TheFox 04-16-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugwump58 (Post 210677)
The contractors on FT Drum provide bikes. So do the classes in NY for Guardsman.

So is it true that Marines can use umbrellas?

The next question is: Are you out of uniform if you're walking out of the parking lot with your jacket on? Hmmmmm good way to find the assholes.

I was last active about 2 years ago. Things could have changed, but I dobt it for the Corps. They're cheap.

No, Marines cannot use umbrellas in uniform.

Technically yes, you are. That was another asinine thing they had. Let it be known that I rode my bike to check in to my unit because it was what I had. I rolled on base in my Alpha uniform and an Arai race rep Corsair on the back of a Ducati ST4s. Gate guards didn't even check id, just stared and waved me by. Kind of funny, actually.

I'm just mad because of the colossal double standards the Corps likes to have, and then watch them wonder why so many guys who are locked on get out.

Dr_Sprocket 04-16-2009 06:54 PM

This is a serious problem for the military. Good to see they are addressing this issue. It's a sad day when a vet comes home from Iraq, surviving bombs, RPG's and gunfire only to die because he/she failed to negotiate a curve on their Yamahondazuki 1000.

dlangfoda 04-16-2009 08:52 PM

Im in the Navy and was able to participate in the track-day at Kaneohe. Forget fun, that was the absolute best time I have ever had on two wheels! Its unfortunate that it has taken this long for big brother to figure this one out. Right now there are no tracks/courses available to anyone including civi's out here. I only hope this encourages the Core or Navy to either continue this or better yet re-open Barber's Point. Thanks to the Marine who let us bubble heads come out and tear it up on the tarmac!

sarnali2 04-16-2009 09:11 PM

there's barely a week goes by without some kid from FT. Lewis creaming himself on a car or bike. It is a shame these guys survive the sandbox for multiple tours only to eat a pick-up bumper or tree once they get back.

Young and stupid with money is a really bad combination

seruzawa 04-16-2009 10:00 PM

When I was in Japan in '70 some idiot from my ship got himself killed on a Yamaha DP bike. As a result the Captain gave a direct order that no one on the ship could buy a motorcycle. When the squadron return to the US a year later the helo deck of every ship was literally covered with brand new bikes. Ours only had a few belonging to the guys who had them before the Capt issued the order. I had to go off base, pay a lot more than the Exchange price and ship a Kawasaki 650 home commercial freight. At least I got my bike. One guy ordered a Honda 350 and was delivered a Yamaha 250. Another guy never got his bike at all.

FTN!

JmalB 04-17-2009 02:45 AM

The local air base has been require personnel to take the BRC since at least 2005.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFox (Post 210676)
So, kiss my ass. This is a load of horse ****. You know how I know? You're not allowed to operate a motorcycle in the USMC without taking the safety course. However, you must have a motorcycle to take it. Catch-22, natch. Just how they like it.

Interesting... There are four different places you can take the course here that all provide the motorcycle for you...

pplassm 04-17-2009 03:53 AM

Fox: Things have changed a little in the past few years. I have a friend involed in teaching these courses, and the Corps and the Navy are heavily involved. Hard to change attitudes of everybody.

I ran into some of the same attitudes during my Army career. The leadership is and always has been very conservative. It's the nature of the beast.