Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #31
aphil003
Registered Member

Default Suicides not tracked in mishap numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4eeeahhh View Post
This ignores the fact that some of those 150+ motorcycle related deaths may have been suicides. Suicides are also up in all branches
Any death ruled a suicide in the Navy and Marine Corps is not tracked as a motorcycle "mishap" since it's a purposeful act. Motorcycle-related deaths are all investigated to determine their cause and these numbers are Sailors and Marines who didn't intend to die on their bikes.

How do I know? I'm a Navy vet who now works for the Naval Safety Center. We're doing everything we can to change the culture surrounding motorcycles -- including listening to riders to find out what kind of training they want and need. The days when riders were 2nd class citizens are over.
aphil003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #32
Neal
Founding Member

Ive worked and ridden on Navy bases for over 36 years. There was atime when motorcycle activities were heavily discouraged by both active duty and civilians and motorcyclists were definitely discriminated against. however,the last several years have seen a big change. I looked at the initial actions with a jaundiced eye, but lately I have been impressed with both the concern and actions of the brass. Being an old guy I know some of the leaders;worked with em when they were JO's. I know of at least one Admiral who is a biker and an ex MX racer . They are genuinely concerned with the safety of their folk. Ive noticed a definite shift to stressing safety and training and less emphasis on jiffy pop rules like requiring reflective vests and shoes with 1/2" heels. I havent been hassled for riding without a reflective vest for several years. So far,I applaud the actions the Navy and Marine Corp are taking; there will be some missteps and there will always be ******* E7/8's harassing folk and not following the intent of the rules,but the trend is definitely positive.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #33
Neal
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Ive worked and ridden on Navy bases for over 36 years. There was atime when motorcycle activities were heavily discouraged by both active duty and civilians and motorcyclists were definitely discriminated against. however,the last several years have seen a big change. I looked at the initial actions with a jaundiced eye, but lately I have been impressed with both the concern and actions of the brass. Being an old guy I know some of the leaders;worked with em when they were JO's. I know of at least one Admiral who is a biker and an ex MX racer . They are genuinely concerned with the safety of their folk. Ive noticed a definite shift to stressing safety and training and less emphasis on jiffy pop rules like requiring reflective vests and shoes with 1/2" heels. I havent been hassled for riding without a reflective vest for several years. So far,I applaud the actions the Navy and Marine Corp are taking; there will be some missteps and there will always be ******* E7/8's harassing folk and not following the intent of the rules,but the trend is definitely positive.
OOOH!My first censored post...Ive hit the bigtime.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote