Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

You know why US Air Force enlisted men are the smartest? Because they send the officers into combat!

You know why the US Navy enlisted are the second smartest? Because they are all in the same boat!

I enlisted in the Navy in 1967 to avoid going to Vietnam. So after boot camp and "A" school they sent me to.... Vietnam! Hope it works out better for you.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I hear Afghanistan is nice this time of year, all the poppy's in bloom...women showing their ankles.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #13
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I hear Afghanistan is nice this time of year, all the poppy's in bloom...women showing their ankles.....

I spent more time active than Reserve. When I got out and was in college the local recruiter wanted to be join the local Guard unit(which was scheduled to go to Afghanistan). I asked him if I would be able to go to. He said, "no." So I told him I wasn't going to re-enlist. Being the young adventourous(sp?) type I *wanted* to go, but now I'm glad I didn't.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #14
pushrod
Founding Member

I was commissioned in the Navy the day before graduation from College. Wanted to be a diver.

They sent me to the Independence. To the Engineering Department, Repair Division.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #15
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
I was commissioned in the Navy the day before graduation from College. Wanted to be a diver.

They sent me to the Independence. To the Engineering Department, Repair Division.

Well see you made out despite yourself. I always wanted to be a BT, my grandad was one during the war and I really looked up to him. If I couldn't have been an Engineer I would have joined the Marines like the rest of my friends did

Old 04-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #16
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Looks like the Independence was the ultimate destination for most of us Navy MOrons. How strange is that? At least we know real Bug Juice when we see it, and can bathe in hot scalding JP5 when we get the chance. Ah, the smell of JP in the morning...soap doesn't lather up all that good in kerosene...
Old 04-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

One of the boilers I check is right off the Military Flight Line. Every once in a awhile I get a snoot full of JP-5,
brings back memories but for us in the pit the smell was Naval Distillate and condensate. Condensate smells the same anywhere but ND is a unique smell part JP5 and part diesel, I havn't encountered it since I got out.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #18
pushrod
Founding Member

I was real happy that beards were still authorized back then. Shaving with fuel was no fun at all!

Actually, I was the guy that figured out what the problem was. Having not a lot to do on a really long IO cruise, my watch team and I started researching the times we had fuel in potable tanks. We went though the Oil Kings and the EOOW logs, and we determined that if the Grapes were stripping tanks forward and the ship was doing 8 knots or less, we were sucking fuel into the evaporators in #1AMR.

Sorry. I didn't mean to bore everyone to death.

Sarnali, they are up to JP-8 now. Flash point, freeze point and all that jazz. I have no idea what the few boilers left in the fleet are running; probably DFM.

Speaking of aircraft, if you haven't seen a Raptor (F-22) flight demonstration yet, ya gotta go! Just saw one at the local show, and you cannot believe what you're seeing. The video's do not capture it. Un-freakin'-believable!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #19
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

How about that, I remember we went round and round looking at fuel lines and feed bottoms, fresh water tanks, everything we could think of and could not figure out how fuel was getting in the tanks.

Hard tellin' The carriers and cruisers are all nuke, some cans use pressure fired boilers, I think frigates and DE's are all gas turbine. Push the start button, engage the main engine and off you go, no three day light off, no at-sea steaming watches in port, all plug and play now. Yard craft and small boats would all be diesel I expect, I think BT's a closed rateing now. Incidently that makes guys like me with a lot of High Pressure experiance valuable commodities indeed, the last opening they had here took almost a year to fill.

I've seen F-22 and B-2 on an intimate level, massively cool aircraft no doubt. B-2 in particular, here's this giant plane going over at about 200 ft. and no noise..incredible

Last edited by sarnali2 : 04-13-2009 at 09:44 AM.