Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700/LT Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11422-2009-kawasaki-vulcan-1700-lt-review.html)

Administrator 04-08-2009 01:01 PM

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700/LT Review

Original Article:
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700/LT Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700/LT Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Kenneth_Moore 04-08-2009 04:58 PM

"Then, when the ride’s over, just twist the ignition ring to the off position and the bike can’t be restarted unless the key is reinserted."

Wonder why HD didn't figure that one out a couple of decades ago? Seems like a terrific feature.

How's the cruiser market holding up these days, especially in comparison to the rest of the motorcycle genres? Or are purchasing figures available at that level of detail?

mugwump58 04-08-2009 06:21 PM

My limited take on this is:
1. Sales managers complaining that they didn't get the bikes in numbers that they wanted.
2. Sales folks saying the credit apps not making it through. Where I stopped to day he said he processes 40+ last week. 3 went thru.

My own bank offered me a ludicris rate this week. I smiled and left. Ain't cash great.

Kevin_Duke 04-08-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 209784)
"Then, when the ride’s over, just twist the ignition ring to the off position and the bike can’t be restarted unless the key is reinserted."

Wonder why HD didn't figure that one out a couple of decades ago? Seems like a terrific feature.

How's the cruiser market holding up these days, especially in comparison to the rest of the motorcycle genres? Or are purchasing figures available at that level of detail?

The Vulcan's key feature is slightly different than H-D. You can keep the key in the ignition if you prefer.

Sales are down nearly across the board, though with a few bright spots. Kawi sales touring bikes continue to sell in slightly greater numbers. Hence the Voyager, which you'll be reading about soon.

DonM 04-09-2009 07:45 PM

No closeup photos?

anrajala 04-14-2009 12:58 AM

Its bloody time to have another cruiser shootout. Enough of ridiculous boy-racers and plastic rockets for wannabe infantile worthless swine.

Lets talk about real bikes. Get the biggest from every manufacturer and two from some (like Rocket III and the Thunderbird 1600cc parallel twin). Some bloody attention to performance like zero to 100 & quarter mile runs, burn outs and of course dyno. For gossakes.

- cruiz-euro

newagetwotone 04-14-2009 02:38 AM

Oh go the hell away.

Kenneth_Moore 04-14-2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 210243)
Oh go the hell away.

I think you meant: "Oh bloody go the bloody hell away."

Kevin_Duke 04-14-2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anrajala (Post 210242)
Its bloody time to have another cruiser shootout. Enough of ridiculous boy-racers and plastic rockets for wannabe infantile worthless swine.

Lets talk about real bikes. Get the biggest from every manufacturer and two from some (like Rocket III and the Thunderbird 1600cc parallel twin). Some bloody attention to performance like zero to 100 & quarter mile runs, burn outs and of course dyno. For gossakes.

- cruiz-euro

So you want a 2.3-liter bike vs a 1.6-liter bike? That's 700cc difference, which is more than the total engine displacement of one of those plastic rockets!

Sorry, next on our list is a comparo of 1000cc boy racers. Then maybe big cruisers.

seruzawa 04-14-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 210243)
Oh go the hell away.

No, actually I agree with Lala on this one. Have a big multi-cruiser shootout. Real performance measures instead of just comparison opinions.