Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2009 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Review

Original Article:
2009 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
desertbilly
Founding Member

Yeah, but do they have a $14,600 scooter-cruiser with a 650 v-twin and an automatic transmission? Nooo.

And do they have 486 different permutations of forgettable metric cruisers? I don't think so.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Normally I like rounder, more organic shapes, but I like what Aprilia has done with the body work - rigid and angular. Kinda reminds me of a Stealth fighter, right down to the exhaust. It's refreshing to see something new and different.

Having said that, Ducati's Streetfighter and 1098 are the bikes I dream about at night.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Normally I like rounder, more organic shapes, but I like what Aprilia has done with the body work - rigid and angular. Kinda reminds me of a Stealth fighter, right down to the exhaust. It's refreshing to see something new and different.

Having said that, Ducati's Streetfighter and 1098 are the bikes I dream about at night.

SOooo...you're a fan of the '99+ Katana?
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

I would have said that it looks the way Ducati should look, but that exhaust can.... sheesh.

I've always like Aprilias. Too bad the company doesn't seem to be able to pull their dealer support system out of their collective @ss. If you can call it a dealer support system.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default North American Dealer Network is Paramount

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I would have said that it looks the way Ducati should look, but that exhaust can.... sheesh.

I've always like Aprilias. Too bad the company doesn't seem to be able to pull their dealer support system out of their collective @ss. If you can call it a dealer support system.
I wanted a Tuono but decided against it even though there is a dealer close to me because the N.A. Dealer network seemed lacking. Maybe it's better now. Usually any major metropolitan area has a dealer for most manufacturers. BMW seems to do a good job with this but it may be cost prohibitive for them to do otherwise. Love this bike though.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Aprilia really suffered financially a few years ago, which then drastically affected things at the dealer level. Things are slowly getting better now since Piaggio took Aprilia under its umbrella. Expect more improvement as time goes on.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Good write up Tor. Thanks for making the point about the bike belonging on the track. It almost makes up for: and then suddenly erects faster than a teenager watching Pam ‘n Tommy for the first time. Ahem.

So, Claudio Lombardi thinks this whole "V-4" thing might catch on? I've heard that somewhere else...some guy named "Honda," or was it "Kook?" I'm forgetful in my declining years.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
SOooo...you're a fan of the '99+ Katana?
Never a big fan of the Katana. Decent power. Something about the headlights I don't like. Change the headlights and perhaps...
Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
ShamanWS6
Founding Member

I have a Tuono, and it's truly a great bike. It handles so well and the motor is so tractable that I have - believe this or not - left an awful lot of more powerful bikes with similarly skilled riders for dead because I can get into the corner so quickly, then on the throttle so hard, so soon. The RSV-R won Master Bike of 2006 and that's all there in the Tuono chassis and motor as well.

I've had the warranty maintenance work etc. done just this week again and so far, service has been courteous and well done. Always depends on YOUR dealer, however. The quality of the components, the two year warranty and the reasonable prices for parts and service make the Aprilia's asking price seem more than worth it. I'd pimp up and get the Factory version, though... the sum of the parts is at least double what you will pay in difference.

Now, the RSV-4? Haven't seen the price. I'm waiting to see what Honda's V4 offering will be all about (sounds like another VFR with a bit more sport in it so far), but if it isn't a CBR beater, frankly I think I'll pay almost whatever Aprilia asks for the RSV-4. I hope they're gentle with me.
2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE #100)
2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE #100)
2008 KX 450F
2007 Tuono 1000R
http://www.trackfanatics.ca/

Last edited by ShamanWS6 : 04-07-2009 at 07:23 PM.
ShamanWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote