Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11391-2009-aprilia-rsv4-factory-review.html)

Administrator 04-06-2009 12:22 PM

2009 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Review

Original Article:
2009 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

desertbilly 04-06-2009 03:13 PM

Yeah, but do they have a $14,600 scooter-cruiser with a 650 v-twin and an automatic transmission? Nooo.

And do they have 486 different permutations of forgettable metric cruisers? I don't think so.

Dr_Sprocket 04-06-2009 06:16 PM

Normally I like rounder, more organic shapes, but I like what Aprilia has done with the body work - rigid and angular. Kinda reminds me of a Stealth fighter, right down to the exhaust. It's refreshing to see something new and different.

Having said that, Ducati's Streetfighter and 1098 are the bikes I dream about at night.

SmokeU 04-07-2009 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 209591)
Normally I like rounder, more organic shapes, but I like what Aprilia has done with the body work - rigid and angular. Kinda reminds me of a Stealth fighter, right down to the exhaust. It's refreshing to see something new and different.

Having said that, Ducati's Streetfighter and 1098 are the bikes I dream about at night.

SOooo...you're a fan of the '99+ Katana?

seruzawa 04-07-2009 07:28 AM

I would have said that it looks the way Ducati should look, but that exhaust can.... sheesh.

I've always like Aprilias. Too bad the company doesn't seem to be able to pull their dealer support system out of their collective @ss. If you can call it a dealer support system.

jmdonald 04-07-2009 02:17 PM

North American Dealer Network is Paramount

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 209614)
I would have said that it looks the way Ducati should look, but that exhaust can.... sheesh.

I've always like Aprilias. Too bad the company doesn't seem to be able to pull their dealer support system out of their collective @ss. If you can call it a dealer support system.

I wanted a Tuono but decided against it even though there is a dealer close to me because the N.A. Dealer network seemed lacking. Maybe it's better now. Usually any major metropolitan area has a dealer for most manufacturers. BMW seems to do a good job with this but it may be cost prohibitive for them to do otherwise. Love this bike though.

Kevin_Duke 04-07-2009 02:50 PM

Aprilia really suffered financially a few years ago, which then drastically affected things at the dealer level. Things are slowly getting better now since Piaggio took Aprilia under its umbrella. Expect more improvement as time goes on.

Kenneth_Moore 04-07-2009 03:46 PM

Good write up Tor. Thanks for making the point about the bike belonging on the track. It almost makes up for: and then suddenly erects faster than a teenager watching Pam ‘n Tommy for the first time. Ahem.

So, Claudio Lombardi thinks this whole "V-4" thing might catch on? I've heard that somewhere else...some guy named "Honda," or was it "Kook?" I'm forgetful in my declining years.

Dr_Sprocket 04-07-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeU (Post 209611)
SOooo...you're a fan of the '99+ Katana?

Never a big fan of the Katana. Decent power. Something about the headlights I don't like. Change the headlights and perhaps...

ShamanWS6 04-07-2009 07:19 PM

I have a Tuono, and it's truly a great bike. It handles so well and the motor is so tractable that I have - believe this or not - left an awful lot of more powerful bikes with similarly skilled riders for dead because I can get into the corner so quickly, then on the throttle so hard, so soon. The RSV-R won Master Bike of 2006 and that's all there in the Tuono chassis and motor as well.

I've had the warranty maintenance work etc. done just this week again and so far, service has been courteous and well done. Always depends on YOUR dealer, however. The quality of the components, the two year warranty and the reasonable prices for parts and service make the Aprilia's asking price seem more than worth it. I'd pimp up and get the Factory version, though... the sum of the parts is at least double what you will pay in difference.

Now, the RSV-4? Haven't seen the price. I'm waiting to see what Honda's V4 offering will be all about (sounds like another VFR with a bit more sport in it so far), but if it isn't a CBR beater, frankly I think I'll pay almost whatever Aprilia asks for the RSV-4. I hope they're gentle with me.