Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   What to Wear When You Ride - and Why (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11316-what-wear-when-you-ride-why.html)

Administrator 04-01-2009 09:47 PM

What to Wear When You Ride - and Why

Original Article:
What to Wear When You Ride - and Why

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article What to Wear When You Ride - and Why in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

cnisingle 04-02-2009 07:05 AM

I think it's a good article. Short and to the point with good information. I think a lot of people are too worried about looking "cool" rather than saving themselves from injury or death. I have three girls in my life that mean the world to me and you can bet I'll be wearing all the protective gear I can.

longride 04-02-2009 07:35 AM

I look cool no matter what I wear, but if I really wanted to do the most I could to save myself from injury or death, I'd drive my car every day. It is much safer than riding a motorcycle and wearing any kind of gear you can think of.

SmokeU 04-02-2009 07:56 AM

I like arm chaps with fringes.

pushrod 04-02-2009 08:06 AM

A good 101-level course with good use of 'facts' and 'data'.

It all comes down to Risk Management. What risks are you willing to take?

For instance, I always ride in a FF hat, an armored jacket, gloves and boots. However, I seldom wear armored/moto-pants. Why? It's too hot/inconvenient to wear such around town.

My choice, yours will probably be different.

sarnali2 04-02-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 209121)

It all comes down to Risk Management. What risks are you willing to take?

For instance, I always ride in a FF hat, an armored jacket, gloves and boots. However, I seldom wear armored/moto-pants. Why? It's too hot/inconvenient to wear such around town.

My choice, yours will probably be different.

Ditto, I wear my Darien pants if it's below 65 or 70 which is most of the year here but above that it's too warm. plus I use my bike for general transport, if I fully geared up everytime I'd never get anywhere. If it's very warm I ride in a sweatshirt or regular shirt, not the best from a safety standpoint but much more comfortable.

To me riding is fun, if I'm sweating my ass off and paranoid every time I ride then whats the point? I always wear a helmet boots and gloves though. My hands, feet and melon need protecting no matter what.

acecycleins 04-02-2009 11:01 AM

Remember- if you ride naked you may be a redneck.

longride 04-02-2009 11:01 AM

"To me riding is fun, if I'm sweating my ass off and paranoid every time I ride then whats the point? "

Pretty much. If someone is THAT worried about gettting injured, then motorcycles probably ain't your thang!

acecycleins 04-02-2009 11:16 AM

An eon ago I could care less what I was wearing. Didn't care about the stories- didn't care about the safety. About 10yrs ago I watched a kid riding in my group tip into a turn on Blood Mountain at about 40mph. Suddenly, the bike lowsided from a sand patch. I watched him and his bike slide (@ 40mph) right off the side of the mountain. 72ft down the hill the bike looked like shyt, but the kid had a textile suit on and outside of bruised ribs (from an abrupt stop from a pine tree) he looked great. The next day I bought an air-flow jacket. Occassionally, I will hit the road without proper gear, but for the most part I try my best to make sure I have a jacket on. The skull bucket only gets used when I'm at the track working and need to get from vendor row to the viewing area.
BTW- Anyone going to RD ATL this weekend - I have a customer with a three day pass with all the bells and whistles for sale- I think $100 but I'm sure things are reeeeaaaallly negotiable.

Kenneth_Moore 04-02-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 209121)

It was a good "101" article, except for one glaring omission: boxers, briefs, or thong? I realize that climate, type of bike, and general riding style are going to have a lot of bearing on what's right for each rider, but a small chart with some basic "Do's and Don'ts" could have been a big help for those noobs out there.

(Insert skidmarks joke here)