Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
tdubbs
Registered Member

Default Indecisive Rider Needs Help Picking out New bike

I know you have heard it before, looking for a new bike and cant make up my mind!
I currently have an older bike, 85 Kawasaki LTD750 and thinks its a great time to step it up. I have been riding dirtbikes and cruisers for quite a while now.
Im eager to get myself on something a bit larger but, of course, dont want to sacrifice fuel efficiency.
Been looking at the suzuki m50, vstar 950 1100 1300, and kawasaki vulcan 900. I dont want to go to small and be dissapointed in a few years.
Any input would be much appreciated!
tdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Find the bike that gives you a hardon, that you can't quit thinkin' about - then shop around for the best deal (new or used).

Really, buying a motorcycle is not a rational decision. So don't try. Just feel.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Since the Kwacker 750 gets about 45mpg you aren't likely to equal that with larger motors. Except maybe a Sportster.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

tdubbs,

+1 on the 'Hawks comment.

Almost any bike you look at will run quite a bit 'better' than the old LTD. Shop around until you find the bike that hits you where you live.

AFA mileage, unless you buy a Honda 1800 or a Boss Hoss or a new V-Max, you will probably get better than 35mpg on any bike you choose, unless you ride really aggressively, or live on top of a mountain like Seruzawa.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
tdubbs,

+1 on the 'Hawks comment.

Almost any bike you look at will run quite a bit 'better' than the old LTD. Shop around until you find the bike that hits you where you live.

AFA mileage, unless you buy a Honda 1800 or a Boss Hoss or a new V-Max, you will probably get better than 35mpg on any bike you choose, unless you ride really aggressively, or live on top of a mountain like Seruzawa.
Gotta disagree. I'd bet that that 25 year old KZ750 still runs better than a new Shadow750, Vulcan750, Boulevard80... etc etc. Certainly it's faster and handles better. Long live the KZ750.

They don't wear out. You have to kill them.

And we get great mileage on top of my mountain! Not much horsepower, but really great mileage!

Last edited by seruzawa : 03-31-2009 at 08:29 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

By 'better', I meant that ownership of a new bike is a bit easier.

I agree the old KZ's are great machines, though.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Keep the old bike thing going- 1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator. If you want to go a bit newer- 1993 Kawi ZR1100 Zephyr.
Sportbike motor packed into a nice frame. Add some new fork springs and change the shocks to Works or Progressive and you are in the house.
A late 90's V-max would be a solid ride.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
tdubbs
Registered Member

I agree with all of you, and by no means am I ditching the old bike! It will stay in the family, passed down to my younger brother. I just took a suz m50 and c50 out today for a ride and I have to admit I thought it would be a bit more powerful (no reason why). seruzawa was right, the ease of ownership is what I am after. After testing out the C/M 50 I feel I need to jump up to the vstar 1300 or at least 1100. I have heard good things about the vstar 950, but need to ride one. My dream bike has always been the yamaha warrior but fuel economy would be lost.
I dont want to be one of those guys who needs the biggest bike on the road, but it sure seems nice to have a bit of power under the seat, just in case you do need it (I know, its a terrible excuse!). So many choices! My fiance is going crazy because all I do is study up on bikes all night long!
Thanks all!

Terry
Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
tdubbs
Registered Member

I guess I should have specified. I am looking for a relatively new bike, 2007-current. With the economy in its terrible state, the gap between new and used seems to be closing. I just cant seem to find any outstanding deals on craigslist/seattle. Yes thats right, seattle....and yes the riding season is ridiculously short here due to rain!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:32 AM   #10
mugwump58
Registered Member

I thought rain meant you don't have to wash the bike?