Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
cnisingle
Registered Member

Default Is this a good helmet?

I like the carbon fiber look but is this a good helmet?

DOT Full Face Carbon Fiber Motorcycle Helmet - Full Face by Biker Emporium
cnisingle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
12er
Founding Member

Its DOT approved. Look for DOT and Snell, snell more than anything on a full face. As for good its up to your melon. Wear a helmet for at least 20 minutes before buying. Good snug fit with a little pucker, shake your head, it shouldnt... If its snug and no pressure points then buy online or wherever you find the make and model with the least cost. For the price I would assume the internals are crap though. CF for under $200 something seems off as the liner may be made of sandpaper... Lastly I dont recommend black, bad in heat, not very visible and if its like some of the CF hoods on honda civics the epoxy may discolor in the sun.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
cnisingle
Registered Member

Good points again 12er. I have a hand me down Shoei now but it's a little lose fitting. Maybe I could just get new pads for it. It's Silver so it should reflect heat pretty well this summer.
Also, I think I've decided on these boots:
TCX X-Cube All Purpose Boot - Motorcycle Superstore
Let me know what you think!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
ejis
Founding Member

There's been some research that the stiff helmet shells that are required to pass Snell tests aren't necessarily the safest for most street crashes. A carbon fiber lid (this one may be FG, not CF though) will be stiff compared to plastic shells and won't absorb an impact as well, but will stand up much better to multiple hits - it's always a tradeoff. There are many really good inexpensive helmets out there now though, and this could potentially be one.

Like 12er said, fit is by far the most important "feature" of any helmet. Go to a local shop, try on a bunch of different helmets from different manufacturers, let a salesman who knows what he's doing help you out make sure the fit is correct, then support your local shop with a sale (if it's a good shop, at least). Some things really are worth paying a little extra for, and for my money, piece of mind that my helmet is a good fit is one of them.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

cnisingle,

Your HMD Shoei may be getting too old. Somewhere on the hat (or maybe the chinstrap) should be a 'born-on' date. The manufacturers say the hat should perform as designed for five years.

My ARAI is almost seven, and it's tearing me up. I love the hat, they don't make it anymore, and the replacement ARAI is almost $700!

All that, I agree with 12er's comments.

AFA boots, make sure you get some that you can wear when you are not on the bike. A lot of 'bike boots' are almost unwearable to walk in. and, make sure the foot and toe fit your bike. An example is the steel-toed construction boot. They would make fine bike boots, but you can't get the toe under the shifter peg on many 'sport' bikes.

I've got a pair of Explorer II's made by somebody for Triumph. I love 'em!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
cnisingle
Registered Member

I'll check that date when I get home. You've got me curious now. I found this one at a pretty good price.
HJC CL-15 Solid Motorcycle Helmet :: New Enough, LTD
Might have to take ya'lls advice and go to a shop somewhere to try this brand/model on.
Think I'm pretty much sold on the boots I've picked out above. Just gotta buy them now. Then pants.......geez! This is getting expensive!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

If you are looking for armored pants, check out the Joe Rocket Ballistic pants. However, if you plan to wear them in the summer, they'll be too hot. JR also has a 'convertible' model, and the Phoenix, which is a ventilated style.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
cnisingle
Registered Member

I'm definitely going to be looking at the armored mesh pants with the removable rain/wind liner. I'm going to be doing most of my riding in the warmer weather. I'll check out the Joe Rockets though! Thanks again!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I would trust an HJC helmet more than a no-name brand myself, you get what you pay for. Personally I like taller boots than the ones you show, you want as much of your shin covered as possible.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:13 AM   #10
chanderson00
Registered Member

I am not sure with the quality of those helmets.But these are the things that I use on track.

Dalia Rose Frias Gentallan and Dexter Ceballos Lamparas
chanderson00 is offline   Reply With Quote