Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/11280-2009-harley-davidson-iron-883-review.html)

Administrator 03-30-2009 10:30 AM

2009 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 Review

Original Article:
2009 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Harley-Davidson Iron 883 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 03-30-2009 11:56 AM

I've seen one on the road and it looks better in person than in pictures.

RedRaider 03-30-2009 12:27 PM

Very nice review great pictures I like it but the pipes and headlight cover forks should be black for my taste. Nice bike for $8000 Nice to see there is a small youth market for Harley's . Is it big enough for replacement of the current market of boomers? But the bike's kpaul Performance Price Ratio kPPR is pretty low compared other bikes in it's price range. But if you insist on being in the botherhood it's a good deal.

SmokeU 03-30-2009 12:50 PM

For $8K I'd rather have a used KLR and a used 883/1200.

theDuke 03-30-2009 01:14 PM

Any suspension left?

I admit that I like the styling and the details like the rear fender/lights from the Nightster but remain disappointed that H-D removed the "standard" 883 Sportster from the lineup. I like a little bit of suspension travel on my bikes so this one would require a return to taller rear springs and fork springs.

Alternatively, I could just buy a used 883 Sportster and a can of flat black spray paint and make a real "rat bike." Granted, you had a short ride in Florida where curves don't exist, but can you comment on how the bike handled (or didn't)?

Kenneth_Moore 03-30-2009 01:32 PM

"I also love the integration of the brake light into the turnsignals and the side-mount license-plate holder I expect to see on other bikes in the future.”

I expect to see legislation prohibiting flip-back license plate holders in the future. And integrating the tail lights with the turn signals may look cool, but the real advantage is that you'll have fewer parts to buy when you get rear-ended. Assuming you and the bike have enough functioning parts left to return to riding.

The_AirHawk 03-30-2009 01:38 PM

If it's truly an "Iron 883", shouldn't it be painted a rusty-brown-colour and have stickon-faux "corrosion pustules" scattered strategically across it, instead of black? And why is there so much Aluminium on this bike if it's "Iron"?

Kevin_Duke 03-30-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theDuke (Post 208854)
Granted, you had a short ride in Florida where curves don't exist, but can you comment on how the bike handled (or didn't)?

The few corners FLA offered weren't much of a testing ground, but the bike steers accurately and feels adroit. That said, you'll do yourself a favor to not hit big mid-corner bumps.

longride 03-30-2009 03:03 PM

Decent looking bike. It works for those of smaller stature. Bigger guys can do the forward control thing and get lots of extra leg room. Not a bad deal if you are looking for a Harley.

longride 03-30-2009 03:04 PM

"Alternatively, I could just buy a used 883 Sportster and a can of flat black spray paint and make a real "rat bike."

That would hardly make it a real Rat. You also need about 10 years of corrosion and caked grease to complete the look.